Gary Patterson Has Had Enough

NateDogg

The Swift Chancellor
TCU’s Gary Patterson is encouraging local business leaders and Horned Frogs supporters to embrace college’s new name, image and likeness rules, saying the team is at risk of losing players to SEC schools attempting to lure athletes with compensation.

Speaking at an NIL event put on by the school Wednesday night, Patterson said if TCU doesn’t step up in that department, it’ll be left behind. He mentioned one freshman on his roster who’s being contacted by several SEC schools, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“There’s five SEC schools calling him and telling him, ‘Here’s what we’ll give you if you come here and not stay at TCU,’” Patterson said, according to the paper. “At the end of the day, that’s just real life. If we don’t do anything about it, within a year we lose him. The rules have changed. There is no wrong anymore.”

Patterson estimated that unless TCU has something in place by the end of November, there’s a chance the Horned Frogs could lose 25-30 players to the transfer portal.

“Everybody lives in the gray area. Everybody in this room lives in the gray area,” he said. “The bottom line to it is we’re going to have to live in the gray area if we want to keep up.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
The number of players may be hyperbole on Gary's part but it doesn't change the premise!
I don’t think there’s 5 players on his roster that the big money schools would bother with. If you’re Bama or UGA or even LSU, are you using a counter on a transfer from TCU? Maybe a school like Arkansas or Missouri but they’re not giving out huge “NIL” deals at either of those places.

I don’t doubt that recruiters at the big schools are telling kids “we can get you huge money deals” but they’re telling that to 5 star blue chip recruits not middle of the road players on middle of the road teams.

There should be some sort of rules so these kids can't be contacted by other schools. If the kid reaches out that is one thing but Alabama will hire people to do nothing more than start poaching players. Unreal what this sport has become
They can’t be contacted by other schools until they enter the transfer portal

Advertisement
I don’t think there’s 5 players on his roster that the big money schools would bother with. If you’re Bama or UGA or even LSU, are you using a counter on a transfer from TCU? Maybe a school like Arkansas or Missouri but they’re not giving out huge “NIL” deals at either of those places.

I don’t doubt that recruiters at the big schools are telling kids “we can get you huge money deals” but they’re telling that to 5 star blue chip recruits not middle of the road players on middle of the road teams.
There are alot more SEC schools than Bama or UGA. Secondly, who said it was "huge" deals that are being thrown at him? You are interjecting your own thoughts into a clear statement.

Advertisement
There are alot more SEC schools than Bama or UGA. Secondly, who said it was "huge" deals that are being thrown at him? You are interjecting your own thoughts into a clear statement.
If Patterson is worried about players leaving TCU for small time NIL deals at mediocre SEC programs, that sounds like a “him” problem. Your school is in one of the nation’s biggest markets. You shouldn’t be scared that players will leave for Kentucky because they might get a small time NIL deal.

Advertisement
to me it sounded like he was saying the SEC is already contacting a freshman. well if he's not in the portal that's an issue. Except the SEC can do whatever they want.
According to the quote, he’s accusing someone of tampering, which is definitely against the rules. However if he doesn’t repot this school to the NCAA, he’s just blowing hot air to the press.

Advertisement
Back