Garcia Decommits!!

Advertisement
Not to reiterate....Looks can sometimes be deceiving....1st time I saw Dorsey at GreenTree in 98....I turned to Soldinger (who was standing next to me) and I asked, "That's that Dorsey kid from Cali"??....and Sarge said, "Yep"......and I thought to mysef, "Jesus...we're soooo Fu*ked if KK gets hurt....Lol....The rest is History....KD looked like a Celery stalk......Having a Cerebral QB with average too above average (Not Super Elite) skills, with Elite Smarts....Leads you to the Kosar's....Dorsey's....Walsh's and so on....Just because you don't have Testeverde Elite Arm Strength...and Scrambling ability, doesn't mean everything......Smarts (clock utilization...Reading Defenses...etc....) means so much...especially in Today's CFB World...
Everything about this post is right.

One of his best traits is ability to read defenses. You'll often see him check off from his primary receiver all the way to his third or fourth receiver.
I'll take that all day long! Especially with the WR & OL rooms getting fixed. When a team is blitzing, I would rather have a guy that analyzes quickly and has enough arm strength to find the right receiver.

All that stated, I am still very excited about TVD and really want to see what he can do, sooner rather than later.

KK had some skills....But in the end...It all worked out...Butch knew what he was doing...If I have a problem with Butch (and I do have many...much to the disbelief of this site)...He more than made up with it in ref to evaluations...recruiting and development...I would have Loved NOTHING more than for Scott Covington to have had just one more yr....99 might have been a NC appearance...
Your Covington take is really interesting. 99' was an extraordinarily frustrating year, because you knew we were better than our record and should have been in NC contention, but for gameday coaching.

I'm being lazy - did Covington leave early after 98'?

If Likens stays for at least one more season, and gets our WR room right, then Garcia's perceived lack of mobility is irrelevant. Truth is, I don't want our QB taking a bunch of hits if he can help it. I prefer to have our QB dole out the rock and let the fast guys on the outside do the rest of the work for him.

If he can become a Steve Walsh with a stronger arm, then I'm all for Garcia and believe Lash can use him.
This. Having a QB like Garcia massively opens the playbook his upside as a passer is so high like he could potentially be an elite passer which we haven’t had here since maybe Kaaya

Advertisement
I haven't moped all day and I been saying I don't want Garcia in this class ...I think even liberty city agrees with me. It's just a hot take I saw his film he's slow which means he will look slower here cause the speed increase in college. I rather get a duel threat cause we have Lashlee and lash values a guy that can run it opens up the playbook more.

Did you watch SMU?

My opinion: Is he my first choice at QB?? No... but I am someone who believes you should be taking a QB every cycle.

If Lashlee wants him then so be it.
This.... If Lashlee is willing to ride out this long with Jake even after committing to USC and despite having a guy like king on the roster it’s because he sees a fit in his offense for Jake. And even if Jake isn’t the starter moving forward this is only going to make Van Dyke work harder.

Your Covington take is really interesting. 99' was an extraordinarily frustrating year, because you knew we were better than our record and should have been in NC contention, but for gameday coaching.

No....Clement got hurt in 97...and Scott took over from then, until the end of his Sr yr in 1998

Advertisement

My #1 Gripe with Butch is...not starting Scott the beginning of 97 onward...

Advertisement
Word, idk much about Purdy. I have a younger brother who’s an FSU grad and he’s high on Purdy. That’s about the extent. So if you say it, I’ll believe it
He isn't terrible but he isn't going to make their receivers better...if they have any left lol. Tough situation he was in when thrown to the wolves but he looked awful.

Advertisement
Regardless, 98' & 99' were so infuriating, because you saw the talent on the team, but then gameday coaching would have us losing to ECU and crap like that. Especially in 99'. VT blew us out that year, but if you watched the game, we were actually winning and doing well and then our QB got knocked out of the game and it was just a snowball effect.

I remember when Cuse blew us out in 98', and as I'm watching the game and looking at our talent and thinking "Am I crazy here, or would we beat these guys if we got a couple of guys back from injury and called a good game?"

Back in those days, these were the frustrations of being a UM fan. You could clearly see the talent on the field, but Butch (whom I liked and wished had been rehired here a few years ago) just couldn’t get out his own way when it came to gameday coaching.

I think Butch had finally matured in that department and out-recruited his ineptitudes, when he finally took the $15 mill to run to Cleveland.

Not to be overlooked is how much the kid loves football. Can you imagine being Jake Garcia in California in high school? It probably isn't terrible is all I'm saying. The kid left all of that, everything and everyone he knew, to move to Georgia just so he could play and compete. He already had offers from everyone. He already had offers to USC and Miami etc. He could've simply worked with his QB coach this year and gotten ready for college, but he wanted to play so badly he moved to Georgia and went to two different schools to make it happen.

There is something to be said for someone who wants to play that badly and has the requisite tools to be good.

B4 u pump out your chest! U do realize that's way more attempts then buchele so its not the same dynamics.
Ok..so 3 out of the the first 5 years.....Manning had more yards in half the attempts than Buechle......in those 5 years he averaged almost twice as much per attempt

Advertisement
Back