Garcia Decommits!!

Advertisement
I was only 13, so not exactly CFB coordinator level, but I screamed at the TV every game that The Slender Man should have been starting day 1.
KK had some skills....But in the end...It all worked out...Butch knew what he was doing...If I have a problem with Butch (and I do have many...much to the disbelief of this site)...He more than made up with it in ref to evaluations...recruiting and development...I would have Loved NOTHING more than for Scott Covington to have had just one more yr....99 might have been a NC appearance...

@HighSeas @Lance Roffers

Might have missed your analyses in the past. In general, what do y’all think about this kid?

He seems like he has some pocket awareness. I mean he’s not a really mobile qb but I feel like he can move ok. Do y’all think he can fit our system?

I'm not super high on him but I like him a lot better since the scheme change. His selling point is he can scan a full-field, eliminate+isolate targets and execute touch/timing throws. The velocity aspect isn't a dealbreaker as Burrow is similarly limited in that area. The difference is Burrow's escapability is elite and I don't see that from Garcia. I think the best-case is he turns into a Trask type and excels when protected, distributing the ball to a strong group of receivers with separation skills.

When it was Enos recruiting him to an offense that leans on hard play action where the QB has to slide and maneuver in a muddied pocket I was very concerned. Now I think it's a good move to bring in young competition for TVD.
What did Avery say?
I can't locate the tweet but he was subtweeting Kirby for how he develops/treats QBs as Mathis was stinking it up. Fields, Newman, now Mathis - not hard to see the trend there.

Advertisement

I'm not super high on him but I like him a lot better since the scheme change. His selling point is he can scan a full-field, eliminate+isolate targets and execute touch/timing throws. The velocity aspect isn't a dealbreaker as Burrow is similarly limited in that area. The difference is Burrow's escapability is elite and I don't see that from Garcia. I think the best-case is he turns into a Trask type and excels when protected, distributing the ball to a strong group of receivers with separation skills.

When it was Enos recruiting him to an offense that leans on hard play action where the QB has to slide and maneuver in a muddied pocket I was very concerned. Now I think it's a good move to bring in young competition for TVD.

I can't locate the tweet but he was subtweeting Kirby for how he develops/treats QBs as Mathis was stinking it up. Fields, Newman, now Mathis - not hard to see the trend there.

Assuming we have a decent OL and good skill positions players, he should excel, maybe not with the Heisman, but be above average. I'll take that.

Advertisement

I've come around on the kid as his senior highlights have come out. I don't see an issue with arm strength any more. He has good mechanics in several of his throws as well. Kid can take a hit and still throw a strike, even if he's scrambling. I worry about inconsistency of his accuracy. Some of his throws would be picked in college, and they were highlight throws. But that was the case with a lot of HS QBs that had great college and pro careers.

The lack of mobility is Garcia's biggest issue, and that's not going away. DT-QBs are so dangerous that you essentially lose a guy who has to spy them all the time, and Garcia doesn't present that threat. But again, if Lashlee is okay with a relatively immobile QB, then I will trust his decision on that.

I like the Trask comparison a lot. That seems to be Garcia's ceiling. Someone mentioned Kaaya. Good comparison, but not quite there. Kaaya's passing took too long to develop, Garcia can get the ball out quickly. And he's definitely more athletic than Kaaya. On the other hand, Kaaya was very accurate when he had time, more so than Garcia even in HS. ... Also, anyone saying Kaaya wasn't tough is FOS. Go back and look at that FSU game where he got his tooth knocked out. That kid was tough as nails in the pocket. Just a too dramatic off the field.

One thing I love (and often overlooked) about King...is his low INT %.....Love me smart QBs...
With TVD & Garcia....i'm kinda okay with them being more Drop-Back...than any Option form....Everytime I see King run (on a designed play) I F ing cringe....I worry when my QB has 20+ designed running plays per game....ESPECIALLY when your running thin with backup options...

The legs save that kid and he's good at it
No they don’t LOL. He’s trash and he’s a reason meech-EE-gan is trash hahaha. Garcia is plenty “mobile” for what we do. He also has touch and accuracy u see duress which are traits of really good QBs. I don’t know if he will be great but he has more tools than Milton, and it’s not even close

No they don’t LOL. He’s trash and he’s a reason meech-EE-gan is trash hahaha. Garcia is plenty “mobile” for what we do. He also has touch and accuracy u see duress which are traits of really good QBs. I don’t know if he will be great but he has more tools than Milton, and it’s not even close
I was talking about Kings legs

Advertisement
I've come around on the kid as his senior highlights have come out. I don't see an issue with arm strength any more. He has good mechanics in several of his throws as well. Kid can take a hit and still throw a strike, even if he's scrambling. I worry about inconsistency of his accuracy. Some of his throws would be picked in college, and they were highlight throws. But that was the case with a lot of HS QBs that had great college and pro careers.

The lack of mobility is Garcia's biggest issue, and that's not going away. DT-QBs are so dangerous that you essentially lose a guy who has to spy them all the time, and Garcia doesn't present that threat. But again, if Lashlee is okay with a relatively immobile QB, then I will trust his decision on that.

I like the Trask comparison a lot. That seems to be Garcia's ceiling. Someone mentioned Kaaya. Good comparison, but not quite there. Kaaya's passing took too long to develop, Garcia can get the ball out quickly. And he's definitely more athletic than Kaaya. On the other hand, Kaaya was very accurate when he had time, more so than Garcia even in HS. ... Also, anyone saying Kaaya wasn't tough is FOS. Go back and look at that FSU game where he got his tooth knocked out. That kid was tough as nails in the pocket. Just a too dramatic off the field.
I’m not disagreeing with anything you mentioned, I just hope our expectations from the QB position post DKing, whenever that is, are reasonable. We are absolutely spoiled with King’s athleticism. The chances of getting a QB with 80% of his quicks are low. That doesn’t mean someone like Garcia sucks when comparing to King.

from the clips I’ve seen Garcia seems to have above-average to average mobility. He def looks fluid and capable on rollouts.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back