Gameplans vs UF

Score early throwing the ball
Control the clock with a downhill running game
Duke, Duke, Duke

Advertisement
I think our defensive strategy should be identical to what Virginia Tech did to Alabama, which was basically this:

1. Stack the Box
- We know they have a run game but their pass game is suspect. Virginia Tech stacked the box almost every play and dared McCaron to throw the ball. There defensive line played very good but their corners played even better, matched up one on one against Bama's receivers and shut them down. Our corners need to step up big time if we are dedicated to stopping the run.

Nothing groundbreaking, but with Dorito you never know what you're going to get.

Miami has to run the ball effectively to win this game. I expect to see an attack on offense similar to what we saw at VT two seasons ago when Lamar Miller ran behind the massive line we had and remember us incorporating an unbalanced line much of the second half and unloading big time against a **** good VT defense.

I say run right at these ****'s! Running east/west isn't going to cut it with the team speed they have.

I'm confident our defense will slow their offense enough for us to win.

The real question in this game is what kind of defensive scheme will Muschamp bring to the table. Does he overload the box and bring pressure every down, putting his real good secondary on an island with our receivers? Or does he trust his base 4-3 enough to stop Duke to allow his safeties to play deep? I think it's going to be a game full of adjustments between their D and our O, and each side will try to force the other to blink first.

Advertisement
Offense

1) Screens, shovel passes to Duke. UF's DL comes up the field fast and furiously. I would like us to use their aggressiveness and the mid-day heat against them by making that D-line have to chase Duke and Crawford from behind from the jump. After opening with a steady dose of screens and shovel passes (remember that ESPN special about how Spurrier used the shovel pass to great effectiveness against Bama's DL in the 1992 SEC Championship game?) let's see if UF's DL is as fresh and aggressive later on in the game as it will be in the beginning.

2) Target Duke and Dallas extensively in the passing game. UF likes to play man to man and according to a couple Gators who post here and the UF expert in this thread http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/55721-Q-amp-A-with-a-Gata-expert their LB's in coverage are a major weakness of the Gator defense. I would try a couple of wheel routes towards the beginning of the game to see if we can hit a couple for big yardage right off the bat. Regardless of whether or not we can hit one or 2 of these at the start I think that merely running a couple of these at the beginning would maybe work to open up the flats a bit to passes to our RBs because UF's LBs would be weary of jumping these routes out of fear of our RBs turning it upfield on them. Hopefully, after getting torched with passes to our RBs UF will then be forced to play a little more zone than they would like, thereby freeing up our WRs a bit on the outside, who I feel are going to have a hard time getting open against the Gators fast and physical CBs.

3) TE's have to be incorporated into the passing game more. As already stated, UF's LBs in coverage are a weakness. Force them to cover the whole field by using the TE over the middle so that our RBs can then be hit with circle routes and passes to the flats underneath.

Defense

I'll keep it simple here because I've got to go.

We have to create pressure using our safties and cb's to hopefully blow up plays on 1st or 2nd down. As much as I believe that we've improved in our front 7, I still have serious doubts about whether we will be able to stop UFs physical running game if we play it too cautious. Especially at the beginning of the game, I would like us to aggressively use run blitzes and see if we can get some TFL's and hopefully force UF into some 3rd-&-longs and force Driskel to make plays in the passing game. If we can do this at the start while also getting up on them on the scoreboard early we might be able to force the Gators to alter their gameplan to where the can't just ground us down with their physical running game..

McDermott is going to get merked by Easley. Duke will have someone greeting him the second he touches the ball on several plays.

It will be a close game, but UF will milk the clock. If UM scores quickly that is fine by me. Send out your D back on the field. We will find out about depth in the 4th quarter.

Advertisement
McDermott is going to get merked by Easley. Duke will have someone greeting him the second he touches the ball on several plays.

It will be a close game, but UF will milk the clock. If UM scores quickly that is fine by me. Send out your D back on the field. We will find out about depth in the 4th quarter.

Oh dear. This post sounds so ominous. I am truly frightened right now.

I never feel this way, but I think the key to this game will be the vertical passing game. Using the run to open the pass will not work, we'll have to pass to open the running game. I'd love to be wrong, but this OL as touted as it is gives me little hope that they can win the battle against Floridas front 7. We should be able to maul people, but I'll have to see it first.

Clive Walford is better than Beau at this point. Don't hold your breathe on Sandland "breaking out" against UF.

It's be nice if Clive could go 70 yrds & a TD.

Florida plays a ton of man to man.

I want to see slants, intermediate digs, and a ton of crossing/drag routes. If they play man free or give a 1 high safety look you HAVE to take some shots deep as well to keep them honest.

Another thing I'd like to see us use more than we have in the past is the screen game. If they do play man and bring pressure all it takes is 1 good block and Duke will be running loose in the open field.

On D....stop the run, at all costs. If Driskell beats me in the air I tip my hat to him...and the proceed to crowd the box again on the very next possession and dare him to do it again.
It's no secret, they want to pound the ball with an occasional play action or gadget play to Burton. Play close to the line of scrimmage and take away what they do best.

The biggest thing to worry about in this game is Florida getting a cheap score or two either off special teams or on a turnover by our offense. If we consistently force them to go the length of the field I'd be shocked if they put up more than 17 points on us.

In short...I think first team to 20 wins.

Which is exactly why I think we saw NONE of that last week

Advertisement
I can't wait to see the Canes DE destroy gator LT. Speed will kill this weak link. He was owned by toledo DE. Case of slow footed O Lineman.

Advertisement
Back