Gameplans vs UF

DJWilliams55

Junior
What would you like to see as our offense and defensive plans vs UF?

Here are my thoughts

OFFENSE

1. Run Game

I think the emphasis here had to be in the perimeter game (outside zone, toss, toss sweep etc). I don't like the thought of running into Easley. I think McDermott is going to have some issues there. Work them East West. If Duke can get to the crease and bust open a few yards that will open up the cutbacks on the wide zone play. It will also open up the counter and reverses. In the inside game, I'd prefer traps and draws to take advantage of their aggressiveness, but I don't think this is a front that you can line up in the I and pound down the field for 80 yards on ISOs and the like. It isn't happening.

2. Pass Game

Against our 2 back formations I expect UF to play Man Free with a Robber underneath. This will allow them to have 8 in the front and play our WRs man to man while funneling the TE to the middle third of the field where there is a FS deep and a MLB sitting in the zone underneath looking at the QBs eyes and collisioning crossers. So the Morris lazy throw or staring down someone isn't going to work. I'd prefer more 1 back. It gets 3 stud WRs on the field. UFs corners are pretty good so against a man defense I would first look to working TEs and RBs, as this is a better matchup on Lbs. I look for Beau to really be unveiled here. I think Duke and Crawford could also expose them on short passes to the flat, option routes at 5-8 yards breaking away from the defender vs. man and planting their foot and sitting down away from the closest defender vs. zone and the occasional wheel route up the sideline against some of the slower backers. Dorsett is a one trick pony. He's a sideline vertical guy, so use him that way. Run him on streaks, posts and comebacks. This will help to force UF into a 2 safety high defense which takes the SS out of the box. He needs to beat a defender on a deep route at least once early in the game to get them to back off. Then we can work the sideline flood with Dorsett on the go, TE on the Sail route (out vs man/corner vs zone) RB in the flat and also the three level middle stretch. It was noted we didn't work the middle much vs. FAU. I would like to use our speed to threaten them deep and really stretch the defense out with these three level concepts (post, middle dig, underneath drag) and (go, tight end deep cross, HB in flat). I want alot of Coley and Waters. These guys can create separation and open things up for the shorter routes in these 3 level stretch concepts if they rent respected. UF will pay attention to him...don't be fooled by the drops. Kid can and will ball.

We will need a steady dose of RB slow screens to slow UF down and get the ball to Duke in space. From there you can fake the screen peeling off on the side and throw vertical. I don't think the bubble screen stuff to the WR is going to work on a D like this. I would also hope Coley has a nice array of "catch and throw" quick game that is simple and doesn't require Stephen to do too much. Just some simple combos to get it out fast (1 step in gun, 3 steps under center) such as slant/flat (vs 1 high) double slant (vs 2 high), stick/flat combo, and hitch/seam vs corner off and flat/go vs hard corner. Simple one defender read get it out and go. It will build some confidence and neutralize the pass rush.

MIAMI DEFENSE

Obviously it starts and ends with the UF run game especially now that Matt Jones is returning from super AIDS. Brown played well last week too. Within our 3-4 front we can play some games depending on what is working. If we are getting gouged inside you can move both ends over the guards and kick the ILBs over the OTs. Regardless of the front I'd bring the SS into the box and bring the occasional safety blitz especially from the boundary to mess up their blocking schemes. We really need to get UF into 3rd and 5 or more. Once we can get Quan and McCord out there in the nickel against UFs backup OTs, we will be ok. UF held the ball almost 40 minutes vs Toledo. that cant happen. We mist stop the run on first and second down. it doesnt matter what it takes. if you have to go to a Bear front or overshift the front to the side where their tendencies are so be it. Run blitzes into their favorite run holes are also an option if needed. When you do that, the second goal is containing Burton. Perryman is prolly our best pass defender he may draw that assignment. If we do that well be alright.

Advertisement
Offense

move the chains( convert 3rd downs )

control LOS

no drop passes

no turnovers

Defense

do what they did last week

Results

we win

I think this week is going to look a lot different than last week. I hope we have less dropped passes but I believe our offense shows a lot more than it did, especially in the middle of the field. I also expect Florida to try and take away Duke and force Morris to beat them. On defense I don't think we press as much but other than that who knows.

I have this strange feeling that Quan might do some damage in this game....and possibly another blind-side safety blitz by Rodgers?

Advertisement
I want to see our TEs get involved more in the passing game this week. I think their big bodies will give UF's safeties fits. Not sure how their LBs cover man to man, but I'd like to find out.

Defense: 1) Hit people
2) Hit them harder
3) Bring pain every play

Offense: 1) Block
2) run hard
3) catch the ball

For the O I would like some screens to the RB in there to slow their dline down. On D just don't bullrush at ****sickle stail mate an interior lineman shed the block when he thinks he has space and then unload on him. Rushing straight at him will allow them to run draws that could turnout to be very bad for us.

Florida plays a ton of man to man.

I want to see slants, intermediate digs, and a ton of crossing/drag routes. If they play man free or give a 1 high safety look you HAVE to take some shots deep as well to keep them honest.

Another thing I'd like to see us use more than we have in the past is the screen game. If they do play man and bring pressure all it takes is 1 good block and Duke will be running loose in the open field.

On D....stop the run, at all costs. If Driskell beats me in the air I tip my hat to him...and the proceed to crowd the box again on the very next possession and dare him to do it again.
It's no secret, they want to pound the ball with an occasional play action or gadget play to Burton. Play close to the line of scrimmage and take away what they do best.

The biggest thing to worry about in this game is Florida getting a cheap score or two either off special teams or on a turnover by our offense. If we consistently force them to go the length of the field I'd be shocked if they put up more than 17 points on us.

In short...I think first team to 20 wins.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gameplan -

1.) Hit
2.) Stick
3.) Bust ****
4.) Talk ****, talk ****, talk ****
5.) ?????
6.) Profit

I did not watch one Florida game last year. Jones had 300 yards rushing last year. I am just curious why he keeps being mentioned as a game changer. What does he bring to the table?

I watched a good bit of UF's game on Saturday. Easley was by far the most impressive player on D for them, he was unblockable for most of the game. I agree that running right at him is a losing proposition. The whole D plays downhill, we have to do something to slow them down.

Advertisement
I don't like Morris in the screen game. He doesn't sell it well enough. I'd prefer QB draws and quick hitters to the TEs in the seam to slow down the pass rush. I also think Hagens could be an important weapon in the passing game. We'll see what OC Coley is made of in this game (and maybe WR Coley, too).

Advertisement
Pin their offense down in their own territory. With their lack of explosive plays, making them drive the field will almost but gurantee a victory.

What a great read! This game will tell us all we need to know about OC Coley. Can he find the chinks in the armor and exploit them. One thing about Jedd Fisch is he always had a great trick play for games like this. I don't need Coley to go all "Boise State" but this is an aggressive defense that will is going to take a ton of chances and fall back on athletic ability when they over pursue.

Scheme and all those things aside. I think it comes down to 1 thing. PLAY-MAKERS, we have talent, and former highly rated high school prospects. But do we have play-makers? Can guys make the INTS, TFLS, Sacks and big catches when needed. Last year we missed critical plays at every opportunity and slowly wilted away as the big games went on. Last week we saw 2 dropped TDs, missed blocks on bubble screens and a dropped pick 6 all in the first quarter. If we are going to be a great team we must start making these players 90%+ of the time.

Isnt the gameplan for every team the same for every game?

Its always the same **** over and over.

Control the tempo
win the battle at the LOS
Move the chains

Same **** different day.

Just win

Advertisement
Back