Game 3 of the Wooden Legacy: Seton Hall 10:30 (ESPN 2) [11/25]

And someone was arguing with me when I said Lykes was much more a 2G than a Point (5 TOs yesterday). As a 5'5 PG, good defenders will take the ball or poke it away from him, he can't see over the defense when guarded closely, etc. He's a disrupter on D, and when he's on, an excellent 3 point shooter who can create his own shot.

That was me and the point still remains. Just because he has TOs does not make him a SG. If you have a 7'3 monster and the guy is not great at blocking shots. Does that mean he is a power forward? Or is he still a center(albeit not a very good one) who is not elite at blocking shots?

Advertisement
Personally, I think Zach could play the PG position (IIRC, he played both guard roles at FGCU). Taking that load off Lykes might free Chris up for even more scoring from the perimeter. With Lykes and Vasiljevic on the wings, that's a lethal 3 point shooting duo. Johnson, from the point and at his size, should be a more effective driver to the hoop and inside "disher" (where Chris tends to eat his fair share of leather).

To me, a pure PG looks to distribute first, shoot second. Chris has taken a team-leading 81 shots so far. That's 20 more shots than his closest competitor (Amp, with 61). As far as assists go, I think if you evened out their minutes played, Chris and Zach would average about the same number of assists per game.

Personally, I think Zach could play the PG position (IIRC, he played both guard roles at FGCU). Taking that load off Lykes might free Chris up for even more scoring from the perimeter. With Lykes and Vasiljevic on the wings, that's a lethal 3 point shooting duo. Johnson, from the point and at his size, should be a more effective driver to the hoop and inside "disher" (where Chris tends to eat his fair share of leather).

To me, a pure PG looks to distribute first, shoot second. Chris has taken a team-leading 81 shots so far. That's 20 more shots than his closest competitor (Amp, with 61). As far as assists go, I think if you evened out their minutes played, Chris and Zach would average about the same number of assists per game.
He pretty much did run the point the last 2 game

I understand where you are coming from, but the game has evolved. Curry and Kyrie Irving are arguably the 2 best PGs in the league and both of them lead their team in points and shots per game. He is not good enough in the paint to be a SG and can barely even dunk.

I understand where you are coming from, but the game has evolved. Curry and Kyrie Irving are arguably the 2 best PGs in the league and both of them lead their team in points and shots per game. He is not good enough in the paint to be a SG and can barely even dunk.
In observed fact, the biggest flaw in Zach's recent games has been finishing at the rim. Not saying he hasn't been playing well, but needs work there.

Advertisement
Before we hit the chicken switch, remember we lost FGCU early one season and thought we sucked but it turned out that FGCU was pretty good. Seton Hall may end up being good. Even if they aren't we were just bad luck away from beating them at their place without our best player.

Zach is starting to show me something.

Before we hit the chicken switch, remember we lost FGCU early one season and thought we sucked but it turned out that FGCU was pretty good. Seton Hall may end up being good. Even if they aren't we were just bad luck away from beating them at their place without our best player.

I mean I agree for the most part except we didn't lose to Seton hall at their place. It was a neutral site and we should have won if amp can just hit a 3 or if Lykes wasn't so out of control on every possession or if Sam was any good at all. Oh well. We need dewan back like. Now!

It's painfully obvious that this team goes nowhere without Huellnandez. Whether this is a lost season is completely dependent upon his reinstatement.

Advertisement
It's painfully obvious that this team goes nowhere without Huellnandez. Whether this is a lost season is completely dependent upon his reinstatement.

And quite frankly, who knows how much he has improved in a year. Just having the down low option though...huge

That was me and the point still remains. Just because he has TOs does not make him a SG. If you have a 7'3 monster and the guy is not great at blocking shots. Does that mean he is a power forward? Or is he still a center(albeit not a very good one) who is not elite at blocking shots?
Sounds like Coach L, at his presser on 11/27, doesn't think Lykes may really be the answer at PG either. Likes his shooting. Ball handling, not so much.

Advertisement
Sounds like Coach L, at his presser on 11/27, doesn't think Lykes may really be the answer at PG either. Likes his shooting. Ball handling, not so much.

He literally said NOTHING about him not being the answer at PG. He said he turns the ball over to much. Like I said numerous times Lykes is certainly not an SG, he is not a SF, a PF, or a C. He is a PG. Is he a good PG? Maybe not, but he is a PG none the less.

You act as if someone not being an elite passer means they cannot be a PG. Lykes has better passing ability than any D2 PG I have ever seen. Does that mean every single one of them really should be playing SG?

Your main point is Lykes shoots the ball to often to be a PG yet the 2 best PGs in the NBA are their teams leading scorers and take the most shots on their team. Your second main point is he is not great at passing the ball. All that means he is not a great player. Not that he belongs at SG. He is way to small to man up against SGs on a regular basis and he is a better passer than he is in the paint. The man can barely even dunk. Have you ever seen a SG that can't dunk unless he is on a fast break?

Advertisement
You know Louisvilles bag wasn't 7k either. They are dropping heavy bags.
After researching and reading a lot, including transcripts, leaked emails, audio of wire taps, etc. - it's a huuu"U"uuge mess out there. Dawkins and others face more trials (and plea bargains and/or appeals) and the materials they may voluntarily or otherwise yield is expected to have lotsa details and names of players, connections, and more. And much sh*t should still hit the fan, and not just us CIS fans, lol.

Dewan and a few others are unique in that the small money scheming: $500, $1000, $5000 and perks... was not to get a hot prospect to CHOOSE A COLLEGE but to massage their interest in representation, marketing, and such, as they made their way to an NBA deal. Several reported names were one-and-done and have already drafted- ie; their ongoing college playing eligibility is a moot point now, unlike Dewan and Peters of Miss.State.

The BIG bag$s we speak of seem linked to CHOOSING a college, whether that's Adidas or Alumnus $$$, but not what Dawkins &pals were up to. He was (reportedly, reputedly, or ATTEMPTING to) coddle and massage current NBA-destined players by giving their friends and family jobs, travel expenses, gifts of cash and tickets, and the like: to get them to sign with him and his cronies somewhere along the way. That's why the amounts are small, it was "greasing the wheels" money.

Bowen and Kansas' De Sousa and others have indeed lost credentials or held-up eligibility. Only a couple are like Dewan, going NBA then changing mind. Miss.St Peters is another; his advisor copped to accepting a job from Dawkins and crew, but testified he explicitly then told Peters to take no money, or discuss it in detail, although he did facilitate one meeting. Apparently Peters is hanging on the edge of a thin strand of NCAA innocence. For Now.

What will eventually happen to the others, mostly NBA players now, is anyone's guess. I would bet on huge fines and expensive lawyers. NBA has more power, grit, balls, and bucks than UM. Might get ugly and see massive rules changes or consent decrees. Dewan - sadly - seems destined to a long wait, with a future return To Coach L that I wouldn't bet the house on.

Advertisement
Back