Game 3 of the Wooden Legacy: Seton Hall 10:30 (ESPN 2) [11/25]

Advertisement
coach L mighta been astute that with Zach (start)driving to the rim, they would leave Amp totally in the clear. Cant blame Coach L if it worked then Amp couldnt score a basket wide open twice.
Absolutely can’t blame coach for that. They collapsed on Zach and he found the open man. Unfortunately it was the wrong guy to take the shot.

Advertisement
This team is gonna get tossed around come conference play and obviously non conference schedule is a joke. I’m allowing for one loss in non conference to be acceptable even tho Miami should have won that game. Hopefully Seton Hall makes it to the tournament to help Miami’s cause.

This team isn't going anywhere without DH. The fact that he wasn't cleared to travel to this tournament, and have fun with his teammates in LA, is a terrible look for UM athletics. This is an utter joke based on the other players in similar situations that haven't skipped a beat.

Advertisement
Not sure what game you were watching but the Lykes turnover with 1:10 left and the two wide open missed 3’s by Amp doomed us.

We lost by 2. I watched Zuuu get 1 and 1 twice in last 3 minutes and both times missed back end. And couldn't follow-up at the basket when we needed it super bad on final shot. Put this all on Lykes and Amp aint fair at all, assuming u watched the game as closely as I did. And if Sam and others were ON earlier (which I also watched closely), we wouldn't even need those baskets at the end.

We lost by 2. I watched Zuuu get 1 and 1 twice in last 3 minutes and both times missed back end. And couldn't follow-up at the basket when we needed it super bad on final shot. Put this all on Lykes and Amp aint fair at all, assuming u watched the game as closely as I did. And if Sam and others were ON earlier (which I also watched closely), we wouldn't even need those baskets at the end.

Amp has to hit one of those threes. That said, bigs have to be there to clean it up, especially when they have a point blank attempt. There were a lot of things that went wrong tonight, chief among those was Miami's inability to stay out of foul trouble. When you aren't a deep team to begin with, Izundu taking stupid fouls won't help. Interior defense suffered as a result, and Seton Hall was able to stick around. That said, this isn't as bad of a loss as people want to believe, Seton Hall will be one of those teams that overachieves, especially when one looks at how much they lost from last year. Not happy with the result, but nothing really changes for this team compared to yesterday. If Hernandez gets cleared by conference play, this team can sneak into the tournament. If he doesn't, this is a team that will be destined for the NIT.

2 wide open Amp misses, Izundu missed free throw, Lykes turnover, and a Amp offensive foul all within the last 3 minutes.

That offensive foul was iffy at best, but Amp should have taken the open shot he had BEFORE he drove. Either trust your shot, or give it up. Don't drive into the teeth of the defense. That's just not a sound decision.

Advertisement
See my previous post about him and he doesn’t get back on d and gets lazy but I really don’t get it right

Amp has always been a top notch defensive player and rebounder and his role has been a enabler on offense. The shots didn't go tonight but at least he took them when he got open. I would not call him lazy and I have never heard from coach L or the fanbase the concern you express.

Why don't all these critics post more often than on game day. They know about as much of Hurricane basketball as Jon Richt knows how to coach quarterbacks. Plain and simple you don't win often when you have 16 turnovers and you haven't learned to box out and allow easy layups all night.

Advertisement
That game was lost on defense. Way too many easy baskets on missed rotations and not hustling back.

Why don't all these critics post more often than on game day. They know about as much of Hurricane basketball as Jon Richt knows how to coach quarterbacks. Plain and simple you don't win often when you have 16 turnovers and you haven't learned to box out and allow easy layups all night.
And someone was arguing with me when I said Lykes was much more a 2G than a Point (5 TOs yesterday). As a 5'5 PG, good defenders will take the ball or poke it away from him, he can't see over the defense when guarded closely, etc. He's a disrupter on D, and when he's on, an excellent 3 point shooter who can create his own shot.

My post game thoughts:

Sam W cannot start at this level. He is not physical enough, lacks aggression and he seems to be overthinking or slow at processing the game speed.
Deng Gak has flashes but it is not consistent to know what he is flashing. He does fed Ebuka the ball on the high low action, which is a plus.
Ebuka would average double double but he picks up some of the worse fouls that I have every seen. He is his own worse enemy.
Anthony L needs to be more aggressive as he needs to lead and not defer. His misses are due to a lack of consistent aggression in the flow of the game.
DJ V struggles defensively and when he and Sam are on the court together, Coach L need to go zone immediately. Great stroke though.
Chris L does not have to prove that a 5'7 PG can play D1 basketball on every play. His over aggression is causing his turnovers.
Zach J is finding his groove. Miami needs to hire the strength and conditioning coach from FGCU. Zach is legit and will get better. Thanks DH.
Anthony M has potential but the speed of the game is too fast for him right now. He needs more playing time to make the adjustment.
Dewan H is desperately missed as rebounding is a major issue. His presence is missed as the team shows how much he is needed.

Coach L needs to stay big with stay big with Ebuka, Deng and Anthony in the frontcourt with Chris L and DJ V in the backcourt. Sam would be better coming off the bench as he would have more favorable match ups with the opposing teams second unit. Also, wanting people to work themselves into the rotation is not an option when you only have 8 or 9 players. I would agree with that philosophy if you have 12 or 13 scholarship players but everyone needs to play when you only have 8 or 9 scholarship players just to make it through the season.

Bad news: these games are hard to watch at times.
Good news: They will still win 20 games and make the NCAA tournament.

GO CANES.

Advertisement
Back