Game 3 of the Wooden Legacy: Seton Hall 10:30 (ESPN 2) [11/25]

After researching and reading a lot, including transcripts, leaked emails, audio of wire taps, etc. - it's a huuu"U"uuge mess out there. Dawkins and others face more trials (and plea bargains and/or appeals) and the materials they may voluntarily or otherwise yield is expected to have lotsa details and names of players, connections, and more. And much sh*t should still hit the fan, and not just us CIS fans, lol.

Dewan and a few others are unique in that the small money scheming: $500, $1000, $5000 and perks... was not to get a hot prospect to CHOOSE A COLLEGE but to massage their interest in representation, marketing, and such, as they made their way to an NBA deal. Several reported names were one-and-done and have already drafted- ie; their ongoing college playing eligibility is a moot point now, unlike Dewan and Peters of Miss.State.

The BIG bag$s we speak of seem linked to CHOOSING a college, whether that's Adidas or Alumnus $$$, but not what Dawkins &pals were up to. He was (reportedly, reputedly, or ATTEMPTING to) coddle and massage current NBA-destined players by giving their friends and family jobs, travel expenses, gifts of cash and tickets, and the like: to get them to sign with him and his cronies somewhere along the way. That's why the amounts are small, it was "greasing the wheels" money.

Bowen and Kansas' De Sousa and others have indeed lost credentials or held-up eligibility. Only a couple are like Dewan, going NBA then changing mind. Miss.St Peters is another; his advisor copped to accepting a job from Dawkins and crew, but testified he explicitly then told Peters to take no money, or discuss it in detail, although he did facilitate one meeting. Apparently Peters is hanging on the edge of a thin strand of NCAA innocence. For Now.

What will eventually happen to the others, mostly NBA players now, is anyone's guess. I would bet on huge fines and expensive lawyers. NBA has more power, grit, balls, and bucks than UM. Might get ugly and see massive rules changes or consent decrees. Dewan - sadly - seems destined to a long wait, with a future return To Coach L that I wouldn't bet the house on.

Solid break down.

Still, assuming you are 100% correct, ridiculous to me Miss. St. and UL play their guys until eligibility is determined if the penalty could be brutal if deemed he was ineligible. Personally, I have to agree with others that it is just UM compliance bending over further than anyone else to get treated like the pig they are.

Advertisement
After researching and reading a lot, including transcripts, leaked emails, audio of wire taps, etc. - it's a huuu"U"uuge mess out there. Dawkins and others face more trials (and plea bargains and/or appeals) and the materials they may voluntarily or otherwise yield is expected to have lotsa details and names of players, connections, and more. And much sh*t should still hit the fan, and not just us CIS fans, lol.

Dewan and a few others are unique in that the small money scheming: $500, $1000, $5000 and perks... was not to get a hot prospect to CHOOSE A COLLEGE but to massage their interest in representation, marketing, and such, as they made their way to an NBA deal. Several reported names were one-and-done and have already drafted- ie; their ongoing college playing eligibility is a moot point now, unlike Dewan and Peters of Miss.State.

The BIG bag$s we speak of seem linked to CHOOSING a college, whether that's Adidas or Alumnus $$$, but not what Dawkins &pals were up to. He was (reportedly, reputedly, or ATTEMPTING to) coddle and massage current NBA-destined players by giving their friends and family jobs, travel expenses, gifts of cash and tickets, and the like: to get them to sign with him and his cronies somewhere along the way. That's why the amounts are small, it was "greasing the wheels" money.

Bowen and Kansas' De Sousa and others have indeed lost credentials or held-up eligibility. Only a couple are like Dewan, going NBA then changing mind. Miss.St Peters is another; his advisor copped to accepting a job from Dawkins and crew, but testified he explicitly then told Peters to take no money, or discuss it in detail, although he did facilitate one meeting. Apparently Peters is hanging on the edge of a thin strand of NCAA innocence. For Now.

What will eventually happen to the others, mostly NBA players now, is anyone's guess. I would bet on huge fines and expensive lawyers. NBA has more power, grit, balls, and bucks than UM. Might get ugly and see massive rules changes or consent decrees. Dewan - sadly - seems destined to a long wait, with a future return To Coach L that I wouldn't bet the house on.
Thanks for this. I’ve been waiting for Michelle Kaufman/Miami Herald to shine light on the situation but it’s crickets from them.

He literally said NOTHING about him not being the answer at PG. He said he turns the ball over to much. Like I said numerous times Lykes is certainly not an SG, he is not a SF, a PF, or a C. He is a PG. Is he a good PG? Maybe not, but he is a PG none the less.

You act as if someone not being an elite passer means they cannot be a PG. Lykes has better passing ability than any D2 PG I have ever seen. Does that mean every single one of them really should be playing SG?

Your main point is Lykes shoots the ball to often to be a PG yet the 2 best PGs in the NBA are their teams leading scorers and take the most shots on their team. Your second main point is he is not great at passing the ball. All that means he is not a great player. Not that he belongs at SG. He is way to small to man up against SGs on a regular basis and he is a better passer than he is in the paint. The man can barely even dunk. Have you ever seen a SG that can't dunk unless he is on a fast break?

If Lykes was a poor 3 point shooter, he wouldn't be playing D1 ball. That's his money skill and why he's here and taking far more outside shots than anyone else.

The NBA is a different animal. I think in Coach L's slow, half court offense (which is 180 degrees from what NBA teams play), he values a PG for ballhandling and distribution skills first and foremost.

Advertisement
If Lykes was a poor 3 point shooter, he wouldn't be playing D1 ball. That's his money skill and why he's here and taking far more outside shots than anyone else.

The NBA is a different animal. I think in Coach L's slow, half court offense (which is 180 degrees from what NBA teams play), he values a PG for ballhandling and distribution skills first and foremost.

His ball handling is more than good enough to be a D1 Point guard and obviously coaches want their PGs to be good at distributing the ball. However, even the most ancient offenses in college basketball do not use their PG as someone who only brings the ball up the court and distributes the ball. Shane Larkin led the team in PPG during our sweet 16 run so that disproves your theory that L doesn't want PGs who lead the team in scoring like you stated before.

Like I stated before it is painfully obvious Lykes is a PG. You may not think he is a good PG, but he is a PG and is certainly not an SG. Do you also think Rodney Miller is not a center because he sucks at rebounding and is terrible in the post? No, he is a terrible Center, but he is still a center.

That makes a lot more sense. Thank you for updating me on the details. I figured Dewan was good enough to receive an actual bag to choose a school as opposed to getting one of these anorexic bags. However, this marketing side money makes a lot more sense.

However, I don't really expect anything to happen to the NBA guys. Look at all the NFL players that got caught with Nevin. Reggie bush was caught. Cam I believe was caught and numerous others and nothing happened to them except they had to forfeit awards they received lol.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back