Gamblers: Canes -52.5 tonight vs Bethune

SinCityCane

Recruit
Huge spread. Some factors I'm considering:

Why we cover:
- After the offensive explosion against A&M, we should keep our foot on the pedal and momentum going to go into ACC play firing on all cylinders

- Last weekend's win got a lot of eyes on the program. Tonight's game, while not on national TV, is the only P5 game of the evening and will surely be watched by a lot of the players we're recruiting. A dominant performance will always help our chances

- The team is excited, hungry, and believes in what the staff is doing. They will be ready, even against a weaker opponent

- Bethune is not a good football team, even by FCS standards. The talent and coaching disparity tonight i[BGCOLOR=initial]s such that simply running our offense for 60 minutes should be enough to cover [/BGCOLOR]

- Speaking of talent, the QB most likely to take the field after TVD is Emory Williams, who is more than capable of lighting up the scoreboard if given the chance. On that note...

Why we don't:
[BGCOLOR=initial]- Bethune's head coach was Oregon's special teams coach under Mario in 2017. Given this relationship, you have to consider the possibility that we'll call off the dogs before a complete blowout transpires and see a final score closer to our opening game vs Miami (OH) (38-3)[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]- Naturally, a lot of our young guys will see heavy minutes tonight. Exciting as that is, playing half or the majority of the game with your 2'nd and 3'rd stringers is typically not great with a spread this big[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]- At 52.5 points, any score against you is potentially lethal. Consider last year's game...we put up 70 points and won by 57...which wouldn't cover this spread by much. One touchdown before the end of the 3rd quarter and one in the 4th against your third stringers pretty much leaves you needing the 70, which I'm not sure Mario will do. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]I will be heavy on action for us this season. I think we'll be more dominant than most expect, especially during conference play. But I will be sitting this one out. Gun to my head I say we cover, but I don't want to put myself in a spot to be disappointed after blowing out a team by 50 points. 52.5 is just a little too high for me tonight. But I'm interested in some of your takes...what do you guys think? Do we cover vs Bethune?[/BGCOLOR]

Advertisement
Huge spread. Some factors I'm considering:

Why we cover:
- After the offensive explosion against A&M, we should keep our foot on the pedal and momentum going to go into ACC play firing on all cylinders

- Last weekend's win got a lot of eyes on the program. Tonight's game, while not on national TV, is the only P5 game of the evening and will surely be watched by a lot of the players we're recruiting. A dominant performance will always help our chances

- The team is excited, hungry, and believes in what the staff is doing. They will be ready, even against a weaker opponent

- Bethune is not a good football team, even by FCS standards. The talent and coaching disparity tonight i[BGCOLOR=initial]s such that simply running our offense for 60 minutes should be enough to cover [/BGCOLOR]

- Speaking of talent, the QB most likely to take the field after TVD is Emory Williams, who is more than capable of lighting up the scoreboard if given the chance. On that note...

Why we don't:
[BGCOLOR=initial]- Bethune's head coach was Oregon's special teams coach under Mario in 2017. Given this relationship, you have to consider the possibility that we'll call off the dogs before a complete blowout transpires and see a final score closer to our opening game vs Miami (OH) (38-3)[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]- Naturally, a lot of our young guys will see heavy minutes tonight. Exciting as that is, playing half or the majority of the game with your 2'nd and 3'rd stringers is typically not great with a spread this big[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]- At 52.5 points, any score against you is potentially lethal. Consider last year's game...we put up 70 points and won by 57...which wouldn't cover this spread by much. One touchdown before the end of the 3rd quarter and one in the 4th against your third stringers pretty much leaves you needing the 70, which I'm not sure Mario will do. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]I will be heavy on action for us this season. I think we'll be more dominant than most expect, especially during conference play. But I will be sitting this one out. Gun to my head I say we cover, but I don't want to put myself in a spot to be disappointed after blowing out a team by 50 points. 52.5 is just a little too high for me tonight. But I'm interested in some of your takes...what do you guys think? Do we cover vs Bethune?[/BGCOLOR]
DK’s line is up to 53.5. I don’t think we cover because I don’t think Mario wants to tbh. Not betting it

Advertisement
If Mario has the chance to score at will and pulls up because he knows the opposing coach I’ll be very disappointed. Miami has eyeballs on the program and after giving up 56 to Memphis the expectation is we roll them…as we should.
We’ve been down too long to be generous, it’s not personal, it’s business.

Advertisement
new clock rule will definitely be an issue.
We scored 48 on a pretty good TAM D with the same clock. Plus, I don't expect Beth Cook to have the ball 32 plus minutes. The amount of 3 and outs for them will lead to a lot of short fields for us. While 50+ is a lot to cover, I am not sure how we don't unless we don't run our O at all, and run it 80% of the time. To me, I think we try to score early and often, getting the backups in quick. I can see us easily scoring 60+ without breaking a sweat. If our D forces turnovers, it'll be extremely ugly.

U guys know we won 70-13 last year, right? Mario won't hold **** back. Took the over and it's easy money

What’s the over tonight? Would rather bet that if it’s in the 60s

As much as Id love to see a blowout with each RB getting a TD and a few more through the air, I think the running clock will be the deciding factor in the game.

Really I just want a to blank Bethune and sustain no injuries.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Would’ve been better to do an over/under on attendance tonight LOL who’s taking the over/under on 32,500 butts in seats ?

Advertisement
Back