Gables 6-4/295 wrestler needs to concentrate on football

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I feel like wrestlers make good lineman and defenders. Ray Lewis comes to mind. My sister went to high school with him. He was a killer.

Advertisement
What's the weight limit in FL wrestling? 290 would have been too heavy for heavy weight in GA.

Not as fanatical as @DMoney about wrestling, but with him 100% about how it helps in football and even other sports. Our HS had a world-class, Cuban wrestling coach. He was a nut. For whatever reason, he loved basketball and, during our season or summer practices, would always come down to the courts to play me 1 on 1. "Basketball players are soft; don't be soft" (more vulgar spanish words) he'd joke.

Despite never formally wrestling at our school, that dude taught me so much about how to push guys around by using my hands, nudging an opponent's hips and using their weight against them. I used it as a DB and in basketball. **** always stuck with me and it's why I smile every time D$ goes on a rant about football players' leverage and wrestling.

Awesome thread and find, @CarolCityHigh.

Last edited:
Advertisement
2018 OG Jaafari Stephens needs a lot of coaching on the football field and even just projecting into college he is about a red shirt soph or junior before he is a solid contributor at offensive guard or center. Good thing for him is he has a lot of time left to develop and could shorten that development curve if he works at it by hitting some camps this off season and UM practices open to recruits to learn techniques.

If he can develop a high FBIQ then he could have good potential as center given his wrestling back ground which would allow him to have good balance and lock up on a defender or even pulling on a sweep. He needs to work on his hand placement when blocking otherwise he will be a holding flag machine in college.

2018 OG Jaafari Stephens (2016 game vs Columbus HS) he is # 54 in white
[HUDL]video/3/6437836/5846b9385b3cd925307906fa[/HUDL]

Last edited:
Al Golden took a wrestler from Illinois I think to play OL and he sucked and got kicked off the team. Forgot his name.
But then again -- this is Al Golden we're talking about.

Advertisement
Back