Ga Tech can't stop the run

Ga Tech Ranking after 4 games vs (UM in parentheses):

-Total Defense #115 (UM is #13)
-Rush Defense #128 (UM is #2)
-Pass Defense # 34 (UM is #66)

-Total Offense #17 (UM is #8)
-Rush Offense #34 (UM is #11)
-Pass Offense #24 (UM is #21)

Miami SHOULD totally shut down their run game and force them to rely on what has been their strength - the passing game. Miami will most likely go 60% run / 40% passing, eating up clock, getting explosives on passing downs, and expect Kam to have a key turnover. Tech will score but Miami with a major advantage in TOP, rushing yards, rushing TD's and passing TD's. Miami 42 Tech 17.
More impressive about our defensive stats is we've done it with 2-3 DL starters out. If Mesidor comes back healthy that should only help that #66 pass defense rating.

Part of that has also been teams abandoning the run in the 2nd half because we get big leads and they are forced to throw more often. So our run D is probably not truly as high as #2 and our pass D not as low as #66.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Awkward Dance GIF by MOODMAN

Lady Gaga Dancing GIF

Advertisement
Except we haven't beaten up on bad teams like this in 15 years. Cautious optimism

I know it feels new and there's a ton of reason to be excited - but our run game beating up on Non-P5 teams like this is pretty standard.

The Question is:

Will me maintain - like we did in 2017 & 2018 (Homer & DeeJay)
Or will we fall off - like we did in 2021 & 2016 (Knighton & Walton)

It’s pretty impressive the turnaround that tech has had on offense. Especially with a castoff qb
Even though it’s already been a few years, I figured moving on from the triple option would take a lot longer for them to catch up. Literally have to start from scratch. But here we are.

And thank god they don’t run that shi* anymore. Last thing we need is our DL getting dived at below the knees.

I know it feels new and there's a ton of reason to be excited - but our run game beating up on Non-P5 teams like this is pretty standard.

The Question is:

Will me maintain - like we did in 2017 & 2018 (Homer & DeeJay)
Or will we fall off - like we did in 2021 & 2016 (Knighton & Walton)
I'll trust the run when we can do it against a stout team. Aggie handled us there.

Pass game should work against anyone.

Advertisement
I'll trust the run when we can do it against a stout team. Aggie handled us there.

Pass game should work against anyone.
Part of the reason the passing game worked so well was that A&M was committed to stopping the run at the expense of pass defense. The thing about a rushing offense is that defenses can slow down even the best ones if they throw enough numbers at it. If you've got 5 linemen and a tight end blocking a defense that has 8 or 9 men in the box, you're stuck. No matter how good your line is. If a defense is going to commit an extra defender or two to containing the running game, you're going to have a ton of 1 on 1 opportunities on the outside and Tyler and our receivers will have a field day like they did against A&M.

Part of the reason the passing game worked so well was that A&M was committed to stopping the run at the expense of pass defense. The thing about a rushing offense is that defenses can slow down even the best ones if they throw enough numbers at it. If you've got 5 linemen and a tight end blocking a defense that has 8 or 9 men in the box, you're stuck. No matter how good your line is. If a defense is going to commit an extra defender or two to containing the running game, you're going to have a ton of 1 on 1 opportunities on the outside and Tyler and our receivers will have a field day like they did against A&M.
Which is why that TD to George worked at the end. ATM was committed to stopping Miami from getting the first down leaving open the long pass with 1 on 1 single high coverage.

How's Ga Tech OL?
Appears to be decent ... #17 ranked Total Offense ( #34 rushing O and #24 passing O). Haynes King, their transfer QB from A&M has a 65% completion % and 11 passing TD's along with 1 rushing ... same as VanDyke. Rushing D is #128 and passing D is #34.

their QB has quietly put up numbers rivaling TVD's. ~1100 yards, 11 TDs, 2 picks so far. GT is definitely gonna get their points especially if we're still without mesidor and deen. will be up to the offense to play a clean game, run all over them, and hit some explosives.
He's has 42 more passing attempts than Tyler.

Advertisement
I really don’t see us beating Tech by 30-40 points. 20 points is very doable and should happen if both teams play their “normal” games and there are not a bunch of crazy plays or turnovers. Tech is significantly better on offense than the past few years. I expect them to score 17-20. I just think we will score 40.

I really don’t see us beating Tech by 30-40 points. 20 points is very doable and should happen if both teams play their “normal” games and there are not a bunch of crazy plays or turnovers. Tech is significantly better on offense than the past few years. I expect them to score 17-20. I just think we will score 40.

Good post. This is pretty much how I think it will go. Unless we just come out on fire and crush GT's spirits immediately (which, to be faaaaiiiirr, is possible)...GT will compete harder than about any team we've gone up against so far except for probably Texas A&M. GT executes decently enough I think they'll break some plays offensively and score more on us than we would prefer. However, unless we drop passes or turn the ball over to shoot ourselves in the foot - if we keep our current level of offensive execution/output, GT ain't gonna have much of a chance and the only question will be what the final margin of victory for the Canes is gonna be.

Advertisement
and he's played atleast 3 more quarters of football than van dimes ...
It's more than a full game if you consider attempts/game. The most passes Tyler has thrown in a game so far is 30.

They'll likely move the ball at a decent clip but I have confidence we can keep them out of the endzone more often than not. I agree. This game is looking like a 42-20 type of game.

Advertisement
Back