FYI ... Duke ...

AlexCane

Senior
is in a boot. (Glad to make your morning.) Ben Jones is also banged up and was on crutches (for the 2 people that care about this).

Also, Tano and I watch the live games together and I think he's remarked at every game that "we have a ******* linebacker [Shayon Green] playing d end." I kind of disregarded him, because at least in pads and on tv and from my vantage point at Joe Robbie, Shayon seems fit for the job.

Well, I saw him today w/o pads and you know what, "we have a ******* linebacker playing d end."

I don't want this thread to devolve into whether the defense's ails are a result of scheme (D'Onofrio) or players. That topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this board. But, next time you wonder why our D-line is getting mauled at the point of attack and being pushed back 5 yards, and you wonder why we can't stop the run game, just remember, "we have a ******* linebacker playing d end."

This isn't intended to disparage Green. Dude is seemingly a hard worker and giving 100%. But, he should be at LB. Physically, he's closer to E. Johnson and Perryman, than he is to Chick.

We have too many players on this team that were recruited at one position, and moved to the "next weight class," so to speak. For example, we recruit TEs to play OL (Cory White), DBs to play LB (Cornelius, Armbrister), LBs to play DE (Green, Cain), and so forth and so on. (And I'm sure I'm missing some other examples.) Sure, it works on occasion (Eric Winston), but when you talk about fielding a physical team, this isn't optimal. I think with Golden this **** is done - as it appears he prefers a big team - but this is hampering us right now.

Advertisement
Well, that news sucks. I was hopeful that Green would turn into a player for us, he was getting some good praise in the Spring and Summer, but having watched him for 6 games it is obvious that he isn't the answer at DE.

Green may have been a LB at some point but tearing up his knee multiple times ended that hope but you are on the money about the position changes. I follow recruiting pretty closely and this is a big difference between Golden and Shannon IMO. It worked back in the day for JJ and Randy seemed to want to do the same types of things but Golden wants a LB he recruits, to be a good LB. A CB he recruits, to be a good CB etc.

Obviously there will always be guys who grow out of spots but it's definitely something I've noticed.

Tell Tano he can come here and talk about it, too.

Not surprised at all to hear about Duke in a boot. Last couple weeks he seemed to not have that extra burst. I didn't know if it was because the defenses were a little better or he might be a little banged up.

Advertisement
Not surprised at all to hear about Duke in a boot. Last couple weeks he seemed to not have that extra burst. I didn't know if it was because the defenses were a little better or he might be a little banged up.

Yeah Duke has taken some of the hardest hits of any of our guys. I guess that's one thing you don't learn when you run for TD's at will in high school.

Hopefully he has more LT in him than he already appears to.

Tano is in deposition.

We have a ******* linebacker playing de.

Cain too. Ugh.

Tano is in deposition.

We have a ******* linebacker playing de.

Cain too. Ugh.

Yup. As bad as DT is I think DE is even worse. Couple of older guys that can't hang and a bunch of young guys not quite ready.

I do like Hamilton though.

i've also noticed a lot of defenses putting in extra shots and playing a little dirtier after plays with Duke. not surprised to hear he's knicked up.

Advertisement
Cain is also a "linebacker" playing defensive end.

However, in college, LOTS of "linebackers" play defensive end. It shouldn't be an excuse. I mean, UF has Lerentee McCray playing defensive end now and he's no bigger than Cain and Green. Its just, Cain is an FCS talent and Green a low-level FBS talent while McCray is a legitimate BCS talent.

Cain is also a "linebacker" playing defensive end.

However, in college, LOTS of "linebackers" play defensive end. It shouldn't be an excuse. I mean, UF has Lerentee McCray playing defensive end now and he's no bigger than Cain and Green. Its just, Cain is an FCS talent and Green a low-level FBS talent while McCray is a legitimate BCS talent.

is in a boot. (Glad to make your morning.) Ben Jones is also banged up and was on crutches (for the 2 people that care about this).

Also, Tano and I watch the live games together and I think he's remarked at every game that "we have a ****ing linebacker [Shayon Green] playing d end." I kind of disregarded him, because at least in pads and on tv and from my vantage point at Joe Robbie, Shayon seems fit for the job.

Well, I saw him today w/o pads and you know what, "we have a ****ing linebacker playing d end."

I don't want this thread to devolve into whether the defense's ails are a result of scheme (D'Onofrio) or players. That topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this board. But, next time you wonder why our D-line is getting mauled at the point of attack and being pushed back 5 yards, and you wonder why we can't stop the run game, just remember, "we have a ****ing linebacker playing d end."

This isn't intended to disparage Green. Dude is seemingly a hard worker and giving 100%. But, he should be at LB. Physically, he's closer to E. Johnson and Perryman, than he is to Chick.

We have too many players on this team that were recruited at one position, and moved to the "next weight class," so to speak. For example, we recruit TEs to play OL (Cory White), DBs to play LB (Cornelius, Armbrister), LBs to play DE (Green, Cain), and so forth and so on. (And I'm sure I'm missing some other examples.) Sure, it works on occasion (Eric Winston), but when you talk about fielding a physical team, this isn't optimal. I think with Golden this **** is done - as it appears he prefers a big team - but this is hampering us right now.

so past recruiting classes are still haunting us? if so, then expect at least one more year of the defense being not so good. improved next year, has to be, how can it not? but, where we all expect it to be, no way that happens next year thus coarch d will be here thru 2014. why that long - cuz thats when there can be no more excuses/reasons that the past is haunting us. its all on golden by then.

Advertisement
Larry, understood. But, we can't hide undersized players on this defense. For example, add a stud DT in the middle and suddenly Green on the outside doesn't look so bad. But he's playing alongside Earl Moore, a true FR, Corey King, true sophomore (?), and a bunch of JAGs (Smith, Robinson, Grimble, Pierre) and it don't look so good.

Agree with Larry. There are lots of 240-250 pound guys at DE. The issue is that green should not be starting - very little experience and lacks burst. Cain is a jag. It's not so much the size rather the speed and skill that is lacking.

Advertisement
Yup, makes sense that Duke is wearing down a bit, its part of the process, and hopefully them young legs heal quicker than most. Sucks about Jones because he was actually playing good football, which I thought would never happen, also hope he returns before the end of the season. About Greene, no one thought he was going to stay healthy this year anyways, and he is giving it all he has, which ain't much considering where he is physically and how he looks even just walking around. We are light as **** on the end, and it ain't getting better before the end of the year, so lets hope they hold up better against the ****** ACC games we have left and lets get this season back on track, which BTW is still building to be a pleasant surprise to most.

Larry, understood. But, we can't hide undersized players on this defense. For example, add a stud DT in the middle and suddenly Green on the outside doesn't look so bad. But he's playing alongside Earl Moore, a true FR, Corey King, true sophomore (?), and a bunch of JAGs (Smith, Robinson, Grimble, Pierre) and it don't look so good.

Larry used McCray who is starting alongside a two deep at DT filled with high school stars.

We got Corey King, Green, Cain who may have two BCS offers between the 3 of them.

But we are venturing into one of those threads again.

Advertisement
Back