further expansion (playoffs)

hoops156

Senior
thoughts on this? saw that a lot of schools are behind a further playoff expansion. i hated the playoff idea to begin with because the best part about the CFB season was that the playoffs were your regular season.

Advertisement
Just make it 8 teams thats plenty. I hate when teams have a bye game, every team should play the same number of games. I dont think because a team is ranked #1 or #2 they Get a bye. Rou're all ready the best of the best why do you get an advantage over lesser teams who all ready going to have a hard time beating you to begin with. 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 so on and so forth.

I hate the idea, but it's coming no matter what.

I had no problem with 4 as is, the team that deserved to win the Natty has won it every single year, it's not like the BCS era where you could debate on who's the true National champion, the 4 best teams have made the playoffs just about every year. The only year where it wasn't was the year when Notre Dame made it in over Oh St & got blown out by Clemson. Otherwise, they've gotten it right most of the time.

At worst it should be 6 teams, the Power 5 champs & 1 at large bid. 1 & 2 seeds gets a bye, 3 seed plays 6, 4 seed plays 5, lowest ranked winner gets 1 seed & 2nd lowest ranked winner gets the 2 seed.

8 teams will just end up being the SEC invitational, Bama, UGA, LSU & Auburn/UF will get 4 spots every year.

Adding more teams to the playoffs dilutes the playoffs, both in college & in the NFL. The business is too big & so now both College & the NFL are expanding the playoffs, IMO it's unnecessary & lessens the product.

Advertisement
I’m a 4 power conferences (16 teams each). The championship games become first round.
Four champs ranked for four team playoff.

the rest can have a sub championship thing.

/ it’d be really cool if each power league matched w a lower leagues and dereliction occurred every season. Never happening though.

teams like UCF could play into ACC at expense of GT

occasionally BYU yanks Arizona’s spot or Boise State replaces Oregon State.

Been thinking of this awhile.

I hate how the SEC has the system in its pocket...so...

There are 5 major conferences. The winner of each is in.

#6 is chosen from the NON-power 5
#7 is at large (includes nd, all p5 and all others.
#8 is also at large but no conference can have a third team. SEC homers, stfu! If you can’t be in the top 2 of your own conference, you blew it.

I don’t care about the other details. But maybe Use the 4 major bowl games for the first round

I hate the idea, but it's coming no matter what.

I had no problem with 4 as is, the team that deserved to win the Natty has won it every single year, it's not like the BCS era where you could debate on who's the true National champion, the 4 best teams have made the playoffs just about every year. The only year where it wasn't was the year when Notre Dame made it in over Oh St & got blown out by Clemson. Otherwise, they've gotten it right most of the time.

At worst it should be 6 teams, the Power 5 champs & 1 at large bid. 1 & 2 seeds gets a bye, 3 seed plays 6, 4 seed plays 5, lowest ranked winner gets 1 seed & 2nd lowest ranked winner gets the 2 seed.

8 teams will just end up being the SEC invitational, Bama, UGA, LSU & Auburn/UF will get 4 spots every year.

Adding more teams to the playoffs dilutes the playoffs, both in college & in the NFL. The business is too big & so now both College & the NFL are expanding the playoffs, IMO it's unnecessary & lessens the product.
Yes and no, difference with pro sports is every team that competes can make the playoffs. Shrink division one to 4 major conferences which is about 75 teams do one more round of conf expansion.8 teams would fit the total number of teams competing.

Advertisement
I’ve been saying they should expand to 8 and it’s likely coming in the next couple of years. But for now, I’m happy with 4 teams. It will probably be the same 5-6 teams fighting for those 4 spots with Oklahoma always losing the semis lol.

For games is good with me. It should be limited to the elite of da elite.

The real problem I have with it the players are made to play more and more games. More hits, more risk of injury and they get next to nothing four playing extra games and have no voice in the decision. Schools and conferences make millions, players get peanuts.

I am with you on the risk to the players who are not getting compensated, but then I would say either 1) compensate the players or 2) take another game off the regular season schedule (hopefully one of the cupcake games). Neither of this is going to willingly happen since it would mean most schools losing money, but if we are talking about things we want for the players...

As for the number of teams to play, I do think 8 is the right number. There will be years (some would probably argue there have already been) where there is a legit chance that a team that just misses out on top 4 could win it all, particularly if there are not dominant teams that year and would have a legitimate gripe with being left out. The 9th team in a 8 team playoff is going to have a much harder argument to make. I feel like this would strike the right balance as unlike other sports, there would still be a lot of weight on each game, but if you lost a game and you are a top team, your season isn't necessarily over (wouldn't it be nice to be at the point where if Miami lost one game we thought our season was a waste?).

Either make it a straight top 8 ranking according to the committee or have it be the top team from each power 5 conference and 3 at large with at least one of them going to a non power 5 team. That way every conference gets a team, but then the SEC (or whatever conference is/is perceived to be strong that year can't complain about only one of their teams getting in). It also means a 'little guy' can get in every year w/o stealing a spot from a more deserving team and adds the 'Cinderella' factor. Play at least the first round at the higher seeds home and potentially the 2nd round (I could be talked into playing these at rotating locations like is done today) with the Championship Game location rotating every year.

This would make more money, keep more fans engaged over the course or the year, reduce the 2nd teams in a strong conference and UCFs of the world from complaining that they didn't get in when they should and provide a strong product that shouldn't cheapen the bowl games any more than they already are.

Should be 6. Conference champs and 1 at large. I’m in favor of giving that at large to a G5 team if they meet that same stipulation they have for them to get that NY6 bid now.

Advertisement
Been thinking of this awhile.

I hate how the SEC has the system in its pocket...so...

There are 5 major conferences. The winner of each is in.

#6 is chosen from the NON-power 5
#7 is at large (includes nd, all p5 and all others.
#8 is also at large but no conference can have a third team. SEC homers, stfu! If you can’t be in the top 2 of your own conference, you blew it.

I don’t care about the other details. But maybe Use the 4 major bowl games for the first round

the issue is that the SEC dominate the rankings in the beg of the year and never take dips in their spots over the course of the year even w losses bc SEC SEC SEC. it ends up with them dominating the top 15 at the end of the year and you will end up w more SEC teams in the playoffs. if theyre going to expand then also get rid of all rankings until the CFP ranks start. have the committee rank every team with no preconceived ranking built in.

2 years ago I started saying the best format was 8 teams. Every conf. Champ is in. 3 at larges. You want to give the UCFs a shot? Give em an at large. For years where bama isn’t even in the SEC game give em an at large. Slide the extra week of games 2 weeks after conf. Championships. Another 2 weeks for semis prep and one week for the natty. I commented on an ESPN post and people loved it then. Now it’s everywhere.

Advertisement
I think 8 would be ideal. The P5 Champs, 1 G5 and 2 at large bids.

YES. Agreed!

BUT... no conference can have more than two spots. That’s very important and they can’t complain their number 3 in their own **** conference yet should still have a spot. Then the “regular season” really has meaning.

Its like the olympics... no country can take more than the per country allotted slots even if the us athletes who miss out could have won in the Olympics. Our 2nd best basketball team COULD be the best in the world, but the us only gets one team.

It's a disgrace that will ruin the best regular season in sports.

Four is, and has always been, the right number.

If 4 is perfect, and leads to a suspenseful regular season, why can I already predict the 2025 game?

Alabama 90%
Auburn, LSU, Georgia 90%
Clemson, Oklahoma 90%
Notre Dame, Ohio State 65%
Everyone Else65%
If there was no playoffs, the SEC/NFL would have always been better than the rest of college football/AFL.

But the Jets beat the Colts—- and it was deserved.
The Chiefs then beat the big bad Vikings
****, conversely, the New York Giants would never have been given a chance to beat the Patriots.

Those results didn’t cheapen the season, it made it all the more memorable.

The winning team wasn’t given much hope, won the games in their portion of the league to qualify, and kept winning until the worthy underdog became world champion

For the “regular season” to matter. Win your major conference! You get an automatic birth.

Give the top rated non-major a ticket.

Pick 7 and 8 from all teams, but no conference can have more than 2 participants.

I could go for 6 as described above, but then I’d have to deal with the f-wad Irish minions and the sec apologists.

These are thoughts I heard a long time ago, and realized they were as logical as they were complete.
I don’t mind hearing a better idea than the above, but I haven’t heard it over the last 10-15 years of listening for it.

Advertisement
Back