Full circle?

The funny thing is ..... Most ppl don't even care if we lose. They just want us to show that we have big enough nuts to hang with the big boys. Just show me something!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
When I was a junior in high school, way back in 1993, I remember getting my heart absolutely ripped out (almost simultaneously) when Lamar got stripped in the sugar bowl against Alabama. We had been on top and bama was…well…

now we return to the scene….in the same spot against the same team. Bama has obviously been in top and we have been….well….

the universe is funny like that. I think we shock cfb, making just enough big plays to pull out a huge win and setting us back on a dominant run. What say y’all?
I was also in middle school and that was probably the worst feeling after a game I ever felt.
Even to this day.

I started organized football in 1990 at 9 years old. The core of this team contained several starters that would beat Jacksonville Bolles for the state title in 1996 for the old heads who remember that dynasty. USA Today had them ranked number 1 in the country.

We DESTROYED everybody. Went to the playoffs and crushed a team from Brandon 40-0 in the rain at night to go 12-0. Had to come back and play the semifinal game the next morning. It was freezing cold and we were worn out from the night before. We lost 12-6 after dropping the game tying touchdown in the end zone late in the 4th quarter.

That was the first time I cried over a football game.

The second time was the 93 Sugar Bowl.

I can’t put into words what it would mean to me if Miami found a way to win this game.

I just think it “fits”….it’s “fitting” that we beat Bama right now? They HAVE TO have some drop off….

I was at the '93 Bama game and my old college roommate and I were shell-shocked after that game. I just remember how the Bama fans seemed pretty humble before the game with several saying, "don't kick our *** too badly," but you would think after pulling off the upset, they would have been gracious winners, and just the opposite happened. I've been to many of our games and I have yet to see fans as nasty as they were after that game, numerous times getting in our faces and trying to taunt us. I should have retorted by calling them slapdi@ks, but of course I didn't have that insult at that time. We did say their punishment was having to go back to Tuscaloosa after the game.

The pendulum does swing the other way, as less than 10 years later, I watched in person the greatest team of all time obliterate Nebraska in the Rose Bowl, so I have that going for me...which is nice. I now just want our younger generation of Canes fans to have those same experiences I was able to experience. I also went to Miami from '87-'90, so I got to experience some great glory days. We'll see if those days are back again. I'm preparing myself for the loss, but if there was ever a ripe time for an upset, we have as many favorable factors tilting our way as we could have facing a team like Bama. Understandably, there is skepticism, but I'm sure the same was said before Boise St beat Oklahoma, Appalachian State beat Michigan, and completely unrelated, but Buster Douglas beats Mike Tyson (old school upset). Games/Matches aren't always won or lost on paper, let's just hope our players are as prepared mentally for this game as they are physically.

Advertisement
It would be poetic to have a loss to us be the start of a disastrous stretch for the the way they were for us.

I had the misfortune of attending that ****show, I heard "Roll Tide!" in my nightmares for years after that.

In 1979 USC was the top program in college football. That year the Canes hired Howard Schnellenburger. At his introduction press meeting he was asked about his goals for the program. Without hesitation Howard said, "My goal is to turn the University of Miami into the USC of the east." That was met with some chuckles from the south Florida sports media.

Fast forward to 2001. The Canes were the premier program in college football. USC was struggling and hired a guy named Pete Carroll. At a USC alumni & boosters Meet & Greet in San Francisco Pete Carroll was asked about his vision for USC football. Without hesitation Pete Carroll said, "My goal is to turn USC into the Miami Hurricanes of the west."

Funny how things work out like this.
If all else was even and truly fair in college football, it would be Miami and USC a Tier above everyone else. How ironic they’re the two schools the NCAA has a permanent hard on for.

Advertisement
The funny thing is ..... Most ppl don't even care if we win or lose. They just want us to show that we have big enough nuts to hang with the big boys. Just show me something!!!
I agree with the idea of this post but disagree that most people don't care if we win. Most people will definitely care if we win. Most people won't care if we lose as long as it is not an absolute blowout and we can keep it within 1-2 scores.

Show us that we have receivers that can catch, OL that is at least average if not slightly above that can buy some time for the QB and create some lanes for the RBs. Show us that our DL is decent and create some pressure, our DBs can cover well and get some PBUs if not INTs. Finally, show us that our LBs are not absolute trash like they were last year. I don't think that is asking too much.

Last edited:
I agree with the idea of this post but disagree that most people don't care if we win. Most people will definitely care if we win. Most people won't care if we lose as long as it is not an absolute blowout and we can keep it within 1-2 scores.

Show us that we have receivers that can catch, OL that is at least average if not slightly above that can buy some time for the QB and create some lanes for the RBs. Show us that our DL is decent and create some pressure, our DBs can cover well and get some PBUs if not INTs. Finally, show us that our LBs are not absolute trash like they were last year. I don't think that is asking too much.
Totally agree with everything you said. I definitely stated that wrong. Ppl will care if we win. I meant that just for the losing part.

I was also in middle school and that was probably the worst feeling after a game I ever felt.
Even to this day.

I know this is a Bama thread BUT

Wow really ??

Even worse than the "Phantom Call" against oSU in the national Championship game???

That "loss" was the ULTIMATE low for me and I can't put any other one in the same ball park ....although the other stolen game against Notre Dame is in the same area code

Last edited:
Advertisement

Wow really ??

Even worse than the "Phantom Call" against oSU in the national Championship game???

That "loss" was the ULTIMATE low for me and I can't put any other one in the same ball park ....although the other stolen game against Notre Dame is in the same area code
No- trust me….the robbery in the desert stings a little more, but that bama game hurts….like…a lot! I remember watching the game over a friend’s house and he threw the remote at his tv and smashed the *****. Yeah- that was a bad day and from that day to this one, I absolutely HATE Ohio state🤬🤬🤬

When I was a junior in high school, way back in 1993, I remember getting my heart absolutely ripped out (almost simultaneously) when Lamar got stripped in the sugar bowl against Alabama. We had been on top and bama was…well…

now we return to the scene….in the same spot against the same team. Bama has obviously been in top and we have been….well….

the universe is funny like that. I think we shock cfb, making just enough big plays to pull out a huge win and setting us back on a dominant run. What say y’all?
Some people just can't handle hard drugs. Stick to the wine spritzers, bro.

Wow really ??

I have learned how to control my emotions a bit better since I was 13.

Advertisement
I have learned how to control my emotions a bit better since I was 13.

Good for you.

Sadly, I still require intensive therapy sessions, some requiring the use of electric shocks and psychotropic drugs......:6fps6:

But since I'm a consistent, long time patient she's lowered most of her fees :ROFLMAO:

Wasn't that the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans? I thought we were playing in Atlanta? That Bama team had a lot of future pros. Curry & Copeland were a handful and we had a bust of a left tackle. Derek Lassic ran hard. Played for the Cowboys for a year or 2. That said the Canes took 'em for granted and were on a bender the whole week. I'm sure it was a blast until they ran out of gas after the 1Q. Anywhoo, I hope the OP is right about the reversal of the outcome. CIO I'm sure has a story to share. Was he perma-banned?

Go Canes!

Yeah that Bama team was NO SLOUCH!!! They had a lot of NFL talent on that roster. I still remember watching that game and I was like 12 years old and I still remember the shock of that game. I was EXPECTING a W. This time around not so much 😂🤣🤣😂🤣
Always Sunny Reaction GIF
I can’t tell you HOW MANY TIMES I have had this GIF used against me. Definitely one of my all time favorites. ESPECIALLY when I am explaining to my non Hurricane fan friends on how this year is different and we are going to shock the world or at the very least make some noise. I am a good sport about it 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

We arent playing in New Orleans...

Advertisement
Back