Fuentes v Diaz

troycbullock

Redshirt Freshman
Fuentes realizes their was a culture issue and he made moves to carve out the bad seeds.

Manny realizes there is a culture and does nothing to change it other than to complain about it.

VT players realizes Fuentes ain’t playing and they fall in line. They came together after a rough start and now look like they will win the Coastal. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they are highly competitive against Clemson in the ACC Chamionship.

Our players hear the same old stuff coming from Manny and continue to play beneath their abilities because they are complacent. I would be surprised if we beat Duke at this point.

Hats off to Fuentes for not messing around with the BS, doing it his way and successfully changing the culture he set out to.

It’s your turn Manny. If the culture is so bad make moves

Advertisement
Fuentes realizes their was a culture issue and he made moves to carve out the bad seeds.

Manny realizes there is a culture and does nothing to change it other than to complain about it.

VT players realizes Fuentes ain’t playing and they fall in line. They came together after a rough start and now look like they will win the Coastal. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they are highly competitive against Clemson in the ACC Chamionship.

Our players hear the same old stuff coming from Manny and continue to play beneath their abilities because they are complacent. I would be surprised if we beat Duke at this point.

Hats off to Fuentes for not messing around with the BS, doing it his way and successfully changing the culture he set out to.

I assume you mean the same coach that went 10-4, then 9-4, then 6-7 (including a make up game against Marshall to get bowl eligible in week 15) before a slow start this year and then turning it around in what can only be described as the worst power five division.

Lets pump the breaks on how good he is, just for the moment. And I get it, everyone is super angry right now. But just because we are angry at our coaches, that does not make Justin Fuente a good coach (yet, at least. Although he does have them going in the right direction), Tate Martell an awesome QB or Santa Claus real.

I don't think Fuente is a great coach but you have to say that what Va Tech has done this season is surprising (likely winning the Coastal) after they looked like an absolute dumpster fire in the offseason. While I didn't follow that situation closely, I thought they lost (or pushed out) a significant number of players and would simply be a disaster this season. It appears part of that was the coach weeding out the bad apples.

We had tons of momentum in the offseason and have underperformed expectations. It's ironic & disappointing.

I like Fuentes, but he wouldn't work here. He hated the "bag" culture of Memphis and you all would have killed him here for the recruits he didn't get. He made a smart decision to got to Tech.

Advertisement
I don't think Fuente is a great coach but you have to say that what Va Tech has done this season is surprising (likely winning the Coastal) after they looked like an absolute dumpster fire in the offseason. While I didn't follow that situation closely, I thought they lost (or pushed out) a significant number of players and would simply be a disaster this season. It appears part of that was the coach weeding out the bad apples.

We had tons of momentum in the offseason and have underperformed expectations. It's ironic & disappointing.
Very fair actually, their recruiting classes are a long way off, but in terms of this season, I thought they would crash and burn.
Where do you draw the line between taking some lumps when changing the culture and removing the coach

Fuentes is in his 4th year I believe..Diaz is in his 11th game..before this year Fuentes was on a warm-to hot seat after 3years..Diaz is on the fan hot seat after 11 games..if Fuentes was at Miami the fans would want him out..fuente would’ve gotten rid of some talented guys on this team and CIS would’ve been in a uproar over it..manny is getting another year..we are likely gonna win @Duke by like 17 then Cis will calm down for a lil bit..u will have the ppl who want to tear the thing down and start a new..and u will still have the “coach defenders”..this will be a completely new team with totally new leadership structure..but talented and experienced gained at important spots..next year manny will be the HC..mannys 2nd season will be make it or break it..but the Duke game will tell us a lot about if the message manny is telling this squad is landing on deafs ears or not

Fuentes is in his 4th year I believe..Diaz is in his 11th game..before this year Fuentes was on a warm-to hot seat after 3years..Diaz is on the fan hot seat after 11 games..if Fuentes was at Miami the fans would want him out..fuente would’ve gotten rid of some talented guys on this team and CIS would’ve been in a uproar over it..manny is getting another year..we are likely gonna win @Duke by like 17 then Cis will calm down for a lil bit..u will have the ppl who want to tear the thing down and start a new..and u will still have the “coach defenders”..this will be a completely new team with totally new leadership structure..but talented and experienced gained at important spots..next year manny will be the HC..mannys 2nd season will be make it or break it..but the Duke game will tell us a lot about if the message manny is telling this squad is landing on deafs ears or not

Fuente won the Coastal his first season. Diaz lost to FIU.

Fuente won the Coastal his first season. Diaz lost to FIU.
Also..Fuentes won 10 games..9..then 6 and lost to ODU..then started the season slow. That’s a downward spiral. he would be gone by CIS standard. Just think OP using Fuentes as a example is a bad reach..losing to FIU is a fireable loss during a Miami tenure. But so is losing to ECU and getting blanked at home vs FSU..but it’s not gonna have a HC gone after 1 year. But it puts u on the warm seat year 2..manny can’t afford to go 8-5 or 7-6 next year..imo even if we had gone 9-4 this year that wouldn’t have been enough to buy him that automatic 3rd year..back when we was all debating MR I always pointed to that 2020 season as the most important year based on the talent on roster..I’m still sticking to that. It will be enough talent and depth for a double digit season anything less Wont be enough

Last edited:
Advertisement
Also..Fuentes won 10 games..9..then 6 and lost to ODU..then started the season slow. That’s a downward spiral. he would be gone by CIS standard. Just think OP using Fuentes as a example is a bad reach..

And he should be gone. He is not a good coach either. However, Fuente had MUCH less talent his first season and did way better than Manolo did in the same conference.

And he should be gone. He is not a good coach either. However, Fuente had MUCH less talent his first season and did way better than Manolo did in the same conference.
this is a bold face lie..unless your strictly equating recruiting rankings as the end all be all when it comes to “talent”. But you should know better. Out of our top 150 guys that we signed our best player was a 3star rated recruit

this is a bold face lie..unless your strictly equating recruiting rankings as the end all be all when it comes to “talent”. But you should know better. Out of our top 150 guys that we signed our best player was a 3star rated recruit

You can't be serious. Forget recruiting rankings. We have much more guys who will end up on NFL rosters on this squad, than Va Tech had on their Coastal run squad.

Advertisement
You can't be serious. Forget recruiting rankings. We have much more guys who will end up on NFL rosters on this squad, than Va Tech had on their Coastal run squad.
Maybe in the long run but that remains to be seen. That tech defense that year had legit nfl prospects at every level in 16 and they were a experienced bunch on both sides to when fuente took over. Jarrod Evans was ACC newcomer of the year I believe. 29/8 63%, was a dude. That tech team had nfl talent throughout and exprience..they had 10 guys who went on to be drafted and that doesn’t include a couple UDFAs..per usual we over rate our talent

Advertisement
Maybe in the long run but that remains to be seen. That tech defense that year had legit nfl prospects at every level in 16 and they were a experienced bunch on both sides to when fuente took over. Jarrod Evans was ACC newcomer of the year I believe. 29/8 63%, was a dude. That tech team had nfl talent throughout and exprience..they had 10 guys who went on to be drafted and that doesn’t include a couple UDFAs..per usual we over rate our talent

What do you mean "maybe in the long run". If you are talking purely the first year. Va Tech had 2 kids drafted in 16. One of which is currently a free agent. We are going to have more than 2 kids drafted this year.

Also..Fuentes won 10 games..9..then 6 and lost to ODU..then started the season slow. That’s a downward spiral. he would be gone by CIS standard. Just think OP using Fuentes as a example is a bad reach..losing to FIU is a fireable loss during a Miami tenure. But so is losing to ECU and getting blanked at home vs FSU..but it’s not gonna have a HC gone after 1 year. But it puts u on the warm seat year 2..manny can’t afford to go 8-5 or 7-6 next year..imo even if we had gone 9-4 this year that wouldn’t have been enough to buy him that automatic 3rd year..back when we was all debating MR I always pointed to that 2020 season as the most important year based on the talent on roster..I’m still sticking to that. It will be enough talent and depth for a double digit season anything less Wont be enough

Reading too much into it. Fuentes saw there was a culture problem and he made things happen. Some kids were bounced, some chose to leave. Manny sees there is a culture and does nothing but complain, make excuses and continually says they have to address it.

Fuentes owes Manny a very nice steak dinner....

out game was their turning point... they lose to us they probably have another crap year and he gets canned.. instead Jarren ***** the bed and the defense makes it look like we are playing against Mike Vick

Advertisement
Back