FSU's magic kicker

Bucs rookie Roberto Aguayo misses first kick as a pro

Roberto Aguayo was selected in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft. This is notable because Aguayo is a kicker.

Well, not just any kicker. Aguayo was universally regarded as the best kicker in the nation coming out of Florida State, and the Bucs made him just the fourth kicker in the past 25 years to be drafted in the second round or higher.

You know where this is going right? Here's Aguayo's first attempt as a pro, following a Tampa touchdown in Thursday night's preseason opener against the Eagles.

Aguayo never missed a PAT attempt during his collegiate career.

Buccaneers Roberto Aguayo misses first-ever PAT - NFL Videos

It's 32 yards rather than 20 yards.

Advertisement
He wasn't available. I drafted him in the last round.

You already had your draft?

Yes had it last weekend. Many think it's stupid but I like doing it early. It makes you think harder and make tougher decisions. I like my team too:

QB - Brees
RB - L. Bell
RB - D. Freeman
WR - K. Benjamin
WR - W. Snead
TE - C. Fleener
Flex - P. Dorsett
Def - Houston
K - Aguayo
Bench
R. Jennings
J. Graham
D. Sproles
J. Winston
D. Booker
V. Cruz
J. Gordon

I took some chances on guys returning from injury but if you pan out could be some steals. Have a potential trade of L. Bell, J. Graham, and P. Dorsett for AP, Amari Cooper, and G. Olsen in the works. Dude is a huge Steelers fan so he wants Bell bad.

Nice. Labor Day weekend for the league I run. Good luck bro.

Labor Day for me too. #3 pick in a 10 team league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck to you guys as well. I get to anxious and amped up so I always do mine as early as everyone will agree to.

Annnddddd he just missed another one from 32 yards out. Wide Right.......

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I don't give a **** what anyone says, I'm glad he's no longer at FSU.

Advertisement
Aguayo is a bum... my bucs will go 6 and 10.... hopefully wrinkles and a licht will b gone
Word...Drafting Kwon is the only positive thing Licht has done. VH3, Evans, snd Winston were no brainers but the jury is still out on Evens after last year. He has to be more consistent.

He gave 40 mil to a DE that he ended up cutting a year later, just signed a guard for 7 mil/yr for the next 5 years, who will barley see the field because of injuries and he was injured before we signed him, Bruce Carter, Mike Jenkins, Kenny Bell, letting go Darrelle Revis, Major Wright, Brandon Myers, and probably the most unforgivable, Chris fu**ing Conte. I will never forget Fred Jackson stiff arming him twice in one play while he was in Chicago. I think I about cried when we signed him.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

When i wanna leave i cant... but all the things u said ... but its who he didnt draft... Odell and or matheiu

Advertisement
Roberto Aguayo seeks outside help, including a ?mental coach? | ProFootballTalk

Buccaneers kicker Robert Aguayo has missed three kicks in two preseason games. In an effort to get his mind right, Aguayo is consulting with three people not currently employed by the Buccaneers.

Via JoeBucsFan.com, Roy Cummings told 620 WDAE that Aguayo has contacted former NFL kicker Ryan Longwell, former Buccaneers special-teams coordinator Bill Miller, and a “mental coach.” Aguayo admitted that his confidence has been shaken “a little bit.”

“I’m just focusing on relaxing and sometimes not thinking about it too much,’’ Aguayo said, according to Cummings. “When you’re overthinking like, ‘Ok, I have to do this and this and this,’ you get too many thoughts in your head.”

Aguayo now has even more voices in his head, which will put more thoughts in his head, which will make it even harder to keep his head on straight and the ball flying through the uprights.

Whatever the cause, Aguayo will have even more pressure on him now than he had before. If he starts missing kicks once the regular season begins, the Buccaneers will have some tough decisions to make.

I hope he develops a Macky Sasser/Steve Sax mental block and winds up sucking dyck for meth in a few months.

Roberto Aguayo seeks outside help, including a ?mental coach? | ProFootballTalk

Buccaneers kicker Robert Aguayo has missed three kicks in two preseason games. In an effort to get his mind right, Aguayo is consulting with three people not currently employed by the Buccaneers.

Via JoeBucsFan.com, Roy Cummings told 620 WDAE that Aguayo has contacted former NFL kicker Ryan Longwell, former Buccaneers special-teams coordinator Bill Miller, and a “mental coach.” Aguayo admitted that his confidence has been shaken “a little bit.”

“I’m just focusing on relaxing and sometimes not thinking about it too much,’’ Aguayo said, according to Cummings. “When you’re overthinking like, ‘Ok, I have to do this and this and this,’ you get too many thoughts in your head.”

Aguayo now has even more voices in his head, which will put more thoughts in his head, which will make it even harder to keep his head on straight and the ball flying through the uprights.

Whatever the cause, Aguayo will have even more pressure on him now than he had before. If he starts missing kicks once the regular season begins, the Buccaneers will have some tough decisions to make.

If you need three consultants to help you get your mind right to handle the pressure of preseason kicks, you're done in the NFL.

He may as well hang up his cleats now.

Seriously, has anyone ever heard of someone going to these extreme measures, hiring outside consultants, for a rookie preseason kicker? Ever?

He's done. A brilliant move, taking a head case kicker in the second round.

Advertisement
Another article about it.

Roberto Aguayo Is In A Tough Place Right Now

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made the most puzzling pick of this year’s NFL draft when they took Florida State kicker Roberto Aguayo in the second round. Although they got their guy (well before they needed to) the team’s perceived value of him seems to have inadvertently screwed him.

Aguayo left college football as the most accurate kicker in history, with a 96.73 percentage of converted attempts, and had never missed an extra point in college, ever. Naturally, he started his NFL career with a missed extra point against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Aguayo also missed two field goal attempts in Saturday’s game against the Jaguars, and now, he’s looking for outside help. From 620 WDAE:

Aguayo said he contacted former NFL kicker Ryan Longwell and former Bucs special teams coordinator Billy Miller to help him with his mechanics. He said he also spoke with a mental coach because his confidence has been shaken “a little bit.’’

“I’m just focusing on relaxing and sometimes not thinking about it too much,” Aguayo said. “When you’re overthinking like, ‘Ok, I have to do this and this and this,’ you get too many thoughts in your head. Sometimes you have to sit back and relax and just kick it. That’s the mindset going into practice and throughout this week.”
When a rookie kicker misses preseason kicks, it’s usually not a big deal, because it’s the preseason. If he’s that bad, he can be cut for someone with experience. When that rookie was taken in the second round, however, it gets more complicated.

It’s not Aguayo’s fault that the team valued him so highly, but the Buccaneers have inadvertently placed a lot of pressure on a rookie for a fundamentally solitary position that requires a mentally sturdy person. It’s still far too early to make any proclamations, but I do feel safe saying this: Every time Aguayo screws up, the fact that he was picked in the second round will be brought up. And that sucks.

Advertisement
I think his brother is a frosh at FSU this year. We may be seeing him in October. :machine-gun: Two frosh kickers & think they just got a grad transfer too.

I don't give a **** what anyone says, I'm glad he's no longer at FSU.

Advertisement
Back