FSU's magic kicker

Tampa Bay Buccaneers fans boo as rookie kicker Roberto Aguayo struggles again

TAMPA, Fla. -- The struggles for Buccaneers rookie kicker Roberto Aguayo continue.

During Tuesday's joint practice with the Cleveland Browns, Aguayo went 3 for 6 on field goal attempts, and Bucs fans booed him loudly.

"He's struggling," coach Dirk Koetter said after practice. "He's struggling a little bit right now. He's gotta work his way through it."

The first miss came on his first attempt of practice at 35 yards out. After making the next two attempts, he backed up to 45 yards, and shanked it. He attempted a 45-yarder again and missed, with the ball sailing wide left.

Through two preseason games, he's missed two field goals and an extra point. During his entire time at FSU, he was 198-for-198 on extra points and only missed nine field goals in three years.

"We've talked to him. He knows what he has to do. He's working through it," said Koetter, directing all questions about possibly bringing in another kicker to general manager Jason Licht. "I wouldn't think that's an option, but that would be a question for Jason."

Koetter was asked if he believes Aguayo's struggles are mental.

"I think so and I think he believes that," Koetter said.

Aguayo admitted Monday that indeed, his confidence has been affected.

"I'd say a little bit, but in times like this, it builds you up so down the road in the future, you're a lot stronger, ya know? You've got to have times like this where you struggle a little bit," Aguayo said.

On Monday, Koetter put him on the spot at the end of practice and said that if he made a 50-yarder, the team could go home early. He made it, and his teammates celebrated with him. They also let him break the huddle. "I haven't had that feeling in a long time ... a game-winning kick," Aguayo said.

Pro Bowl defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said it gave him a huge boost.

"It was big for him because he got to see what making his kicks can do for his team, how it can energize us when he makes his kicks."

"He's a rookie. He was drafted as a kicker, so a lot of expectations come with you being the guy," said McCoy, who was selected third overall in the 2010 NFL draft and didn't have a breakout season until 2013.

"With me not struggling right away with injuries, not living up to expectations, who better to go talk to him?" said McCoy, who tore the biceps in both arms his first two seasons and ended up on IR. "I just go and encourage him and say, 'Hey listen, just stay the course. Just stay the course."

Despite the boo-birds, several fans waited for Aguayo after practice to get his autograph and to offer words of encouragement. "We watched you all the way back at Florida State," said one fan. "We have a lot of faith in you."

Meanwhile, former Bucs kicker Patrick Murray, now with the Browns, went 4-for-4 on his kicks during the joint practice session. The Bucs waived him in May, two and a half weeks after drafting Aguayo.

Advertisement
And to make matters worse, nfl hash marks are lined up with the goalposts. Kicking should be easier because you do have those crazy wide angles like you do in college....

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Almost 50 % of the radio talk in Tampa has been about this guy. But, the Bucs have had a bad history with kickers since Martein G.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers fans boo as rookie kicker Roberto Aguayo struggles again

TAMPA, Fla. -- The struggles for Buccaneers rookie kicker Roberto Aguayo continue.

During Tuesday's joint practice with the Cleveland Browns, Aguayo went 3 for 6 on field goal attempts, and Bucs fans booed him loudly.

"He's struggling," coach Dirk Koetter said after practice. "He's struggling a little bit right now. He's gotta work his way through it."

The first miss came on his first attempt of practice at 35 yards out. After making the next two attempts, he backed up to 45 yards, and shanked it. He attempted a 45-yarder again and missed, with the ball sailing wide left.

Through two preseason games, he's missed two field goals and an extra point. During his entire time at FSU, he was 198-for-198 on extra points and only missed nine field goals in three years.

"We've talked to him. He knows what he has to do. He's working through it," said Koetter, directing all questions about possibly bringing in another kicker to general manager Jason Licht. "I wouldn't think that's an option, but that would be a question for Jason."

Koetter was asked if he believes Aguayo's struggles are mental.

"I think so and I think he believes that," Koetter said.

Aguayo admitted Monday that indeed, his confidence has been affected.

"I'd say a little bit, but in times like this, it builds you up so down the road in the future, you're a lot stronger, ya know? You've got to have times like this where you struggle a little bit," Aguayo said.

On Monday, Koetter put him on the spot at the end of practice and said that if he made a 50-yarder, the team could go home early. He made it, and his teammates celebrated with him. They also let him break the huddle. "I haven't had that feeling in a long time ... a game-winning kick," Aguayo said.

Pro Bowl defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said it gave him a huge boost.

"It was big for him because he got to see what making his kicks can do for his team, how it can energize us when he makes his kicks."

"He's a rookie. He was drafted as a kicker, so a lot of expectations come with you being the guy," said McCoy, who was selected third overall in the 2010 NFL draft and didn't have a breakout season until 2013.

"With me not struggling right away with injuries, not living up to expectations, who better to go talk to him?" said McCoy, who tore the biceps in both arms his first two seasons and ended up on IR. "I just go and encourage him and say, 'Hey listen, just stay the course. Just stay the course."

Despite the boo-birds, several fans waited for Aguayo after practice to get his autograph and to offer words of encouragement. "We watched you all the way back at Florida State," said one fan. "We have a lot of faith in you."

Meanwhile, former Bucs kicker Patrick Murray, now with the Browns, went 4-for-4 on his kicks during the joint practice session. The Bucs waived him in May, two and a half weeks after drafting Aguayo.
1.) Patrick Murray must secretely be laughing at the Bucs for waiving him.

2.) Maybe Buc fans should boo there team management and coaches and not the Kicker, wasnt his choice he was a 2nd round pick. Thats the teams f**k up.

Advertisement
I hear the Bucs are tanking this season to get the #1 pick. Reportedly there is a great punter coming out......................:-(

Dude thought his **** don't stink. Goes from attempting to be BMOC to the NFL with that ***** as metro sexual look of his. Waxed eyebrows don't work in the real world.

Advertisement
I hear the Bucs are tanking this season to get the #1 pick. Reportedly there is a great punter coming out......................:-(

When he was shanking it in pre-season people were trying to blame the holder. So hopefully we also take a holder and a long snapper in the first 3 rounds this year to go along with the punter. Though the holder and the long snapper will be rookies so we have another year or two of shanked extra points before they all get settled.

Kind of reminds me when Chris Simms was fumbling the snap and Simms (and thus the fans) tried to blame the center. Even though 2 other QBs that year had no problem with the center and the veteran center had no problems before with any other QB.

*** this ****y garbage pos. He will never live down talking **** about a kicker missing an open field tackle then he goes and whiffs on a guy running down the sideline for a game winning touchdown. If he makes those field goals then we are in position for him to win it on the last drive.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I know quite a few Bucs fans in the Tamoa Bay Area and they are all really starting to hate that waxed-brow motherf*ckēr.

Give it a couple of more games of ***** ups and it should be fun to watch his false ****y-bravado ašś implode.

Advertisement
I know quite a few Bucs fans in the Tamoa Bay Area and they are all really starting to hate that waxed-brow motherf*ckēr.

Give it a couple of more games of ***** ups and it should be fun to watch his false ****y-bravado ašś implode.

I'm in Lakeland...the Tampa Bay radio shows are hammering this kid. Its hilarious. They are ****ed the Bucs blew a 2nd rounder on him and not a safety...a real football position.

Missed a chip shot which is current the difference in the game. We have plenty of time to keep stalling in the 20 and miss game winners.

Advertisement
Back