FSU's Double Pass?

pimpcane1

Junior
I keep reading about FSU fans and recruits b:tching about this call. Anyone know what the NCAA rules are? Does the ball clearly have to thrown behind the Qb? If the ball is thrown directly parallel (like it appeared it was), can it still be thrown forward?

Regardless the fact that Willie keeps going to this play every game show's his "offensive genius". He has used this same trick play two straight games and spring game. Willie if you don't know this it's a Flag Football play, its not meant to build an offense around. LMAO

Last edited:
Advertisement
Urkel literally called that play a couple times this year AND in their spring game. I knew it was coming. We got lucky.

Advertisement
The NCAA rule book defines a pass as either "backwards" or "forward" there is no parallel. The rule also says that only where a pass is backward may it thereafter be thrown forward. Thus, unless it is backward, a subsequent forward pass is illegal. To be fair here, I think this was close but not clearly backward. The WR moved backward as he caught the ball making it look closer than it was.

The NCAA rule book defines a pass as either "backwards" or "forward" there is no parallel. The rule also says that only where a pass is backward may it thereafter be thrown forward. Thus, unless it is backward, a subsequent forward pass is illegal. To be fair here, I think this was close but not clearly backward. The WR moved backward as he caught the ball making it look closer than it was.

Correct. Very close but clearly not backwards

Did anyone else catch that 1. the camera angle was not directly down the line in the replay, that is like reviewing a td call without the goaline camera which is why it is now there, it is very difficulty from an angled camera to determine ball placement; and 2. the yellow line ABC put on the replay is crooked. See below, the top hash is exposed, the yellow line is touching the far right hash, and completely covering up the left hash.
So that means the line is angled forward making it look closer than it actually was....
1539005394047.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Above picture doesn’t show where QB threw from. If you stop the play at point of ball release when QB throws, and stop again at point where WR catches pass, the WR is clearly about a foot, maybe six inches ahead of point where QB threw. Use field white line when you stop each play to determine point of throw and catch.

CONCLUSION: ball was clearly caught as a forward pass. Illegal 2nd pass. CALL CONFIRMED!

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. It was the correct call.

No TD.

STFU FSU punk losers.

Last edited:
I mean the play absolutely killed us. We should have been expecting it at some point if it’s on tape multiple times.

The play killed us bc it was an illegal forward pass???... oh we shouldve spent time game planning on how to defend an illegal play? lol

Advertisement
the call is irrelevant, we had 1st and goal at the 2 and took a knee.

Richt wanted to score... but Diaz was the one that ran over to him to have him tell his guys not to score. He didn't want to have has defense go back into the game.

What about Homer's catch on our trick play that was called a an incomplete pass. Can somebody tell me if he really caught it. I couldn't tell from the stands.

What about Homer's catch on our trick play that was called a an incomplete pass. Can somebody tell me if he really caught it. I couldn't tell from the stands.

I don't have a screen shot or anything but on TV it was a catch IMO. Call on the field being incomplete was the deal breaker there as I guess they didn't see "inconclusive" evidence that he caught it.

Advertisement
the call is irrelevant, we had 1st and goal at the 2 and took a knee.

Not to mention FSU completed a third down after this and their FG kicker shanked the kick. Still should be on the lookout for the trick play moving forward.

You will lose most games when you depend on the zebras. ***** till the cows come home, but in a football game calls will go both ways. You win by playing to win - F the zebras (ask Texas about zebras call your way aka: cotton bowl against Miami - we didn't give a crap and won walking away). Good teams win games, zebra calls or not. And Willie can *****, but if that call went their way, we would of played for the TD at the end of the game instead of taking a knee. We would of still won the game because we play to win.

Have to watch the film.to verify but was there not 2 flags on the play and the scecond one because an OL was way down field.If true play was coming back whether first pass was backwards anyway

I didn't even know this was a point of contention. The refs reviewed the call and upheld it. All the postgame high light shows agreed with the call. I didn't get to see the actual replay at the game but after seeing it on TV it's clearly a forward pass. I think this is just sour grapes from FSU staff and fans.

Advertisement
Back