FSU fires Martin Jr

Advertisement
They aren’t firing Dimare after earning a national seed, late season collapse and all.

FSU scraped their way into the tourney.
That's the thing this fanbase isn't understanding. Dimare isn't getting fired after getting a national seed in a season where his team was ranked in the Top 5 for a good chunk of the year. That's the problem with Dimare, he's a good enough recruiter to build a team that can win a ton of games, but he isn't a good enough coach to win it all, because he's so bad at **** near everything outside of recruiting.

Unless Dimare builds a superteam, I don't see Miami winning a title with him. Problem is, he'll never be awful enough to where it will be a clean firing.

They aren’t firing Dimare after earning a national seed, late season collapse and all.

FSU scraped their way into the tourney.
Add Tennessee not even making it to Omaha as a reason to keep dimare too. Lots of national seeds on the ropes this year

That's the thing this fanbase isn't understanding. Dimare isn't getting fired after getting a national seed in a season where his team was ranked in the Top 5 for a good chunk of the year. That's the problem with Dimare, he's a good enough recruiter to build a team that can win a ton of games, but he isn't a good enough coach to win it all, because he's so bad at **** near everything outside of recruiting.

Unless Dimare builds a superteam, I don't see Miami winning a title with him. Problem is, he'll never be awful enough to where it will be a clean firing.
You sound like a Manny fan after he went 8-4 or a Richt guy after that flukey 2017 season. The problems are clear as day to see. Results aren’t the whole story, and if the admin can’t see that, they don’t deserve their jobs either.

Advertisement
we have just enough talent to show up and just beat the teams at the bottom of the conference and win most mid week games. We caught a few pretty good teams early in the year that didnt hit their stride yet. But like I said before the days of doing that week in and week out are long gone. At some point every weekend someone has to make a play, a coach has to make a move and the other team has to have a slip up.

But depending on how this draft goes, who they cut (since they dont develop and instead of holding onto guys they will likely cut them loose and just keep turning large chunks of the roster over), next year could be interesting. I mean what if all the guys drafted go...which honestly even though some guys need more work they are better off hoping the team that drafts them develops them when baseball is their job. What if a few kids transfer we didnt expect. Then if the top 3-5 guys in our class sign next year could get dicey.

Next year could be special if everything falls into place or next year could be a disaster.

Last edited:
we have just enough talent to beat the teams at the bottom of the conference and win most mid week games. We caught a few pretty good teams early in the year that didnt hit their stride yet.

But depending on how this draft goes, who they cut (since they dont develop and instead of holding onto guys they will likely cut them loose and just keep turning large chunks of the roster over), next year could be interesting. I mean what if all the guys drafted go...which honestly even though some guys need more work they are better off hoping the team that drafts them develops them when baseball is their job. What if a few kids transfer we didnt expect. Then if the top 3-5 guys in our class sign next year could get dicey.

Next year could be special if everything falls into place or next year could be a disaster.

We’ll have the pieces to make a run next year, just will depend if we decide to show up when it counts.

Factors other than their regional loss led to this outcome. Off-field. But I'm sure the loss made it easier

Advertisement
Besides being an alumnus, why would Jarrett leave ND? You know he will get a nice raise after beating UT and going to the CWS.
His current team is loaded with guys who will not be back and this might be the ceiling year there. Gotta think longterm fsu would be “easier” to succeed at.

Besides being an alumnus, why would Jarrett leave ND? You know he will get a nice raise after beating UT and going to the CWS.
FSU>ND by a wide margin. He’s the only reason ND is good.

It’s really that simple. And he can get the same money at FSU that he can get at ND. If he had the same two seasons he just had at ND, at FSU, they would’ve been top 8 seeds.

His current team is loaded with guys who will not be back and this might be the ceiling year there. Gotta think longterm fsu would be “easier” to succeed at.
Not to mention the timing of the firing - have to believe FSU put some "feelers" out to check his temperature.

They might have fired Martin anyway, but they probably see this as a once in a decade or so opportunity to grab one of the best coaches in the country before someone else does.

Not to mention the timing of the firing - have to believe FSU put some "feelers" out to check his temperature.

They might have fired Martin anyway, but they probably see this as a once in a decade or so opportunity to grab one of the best coaches in the country before someone else does.

when they fired martin, was he sober enough to understand what was happening?

Advertisement
Bakich to Clemson - over a million a year.

Jarrett to FSU is going to cost them...and they dont have it unless a baseball donor ponies up or Jarret take a touch less to help his alma mater out. That being said the idea that FSU is some gold mine of college baseball no longer exists. Schools are proving you can put together winners anywhere you dont just have to play in CA, FL, and TX. So if Jarrett goes my guess is he has requests similar to Mario with the future because just showing up and saying we are FSU isnt getting you anywhere. They need updates and upgrades too.

I always say though in any sport....the grass isnt always greener on the other side. These guys are good coaches. Bakich is a good coach but he clearly has a good agent too because he finished 3rd, 4th, of 5th in the Big10 all but 2 times. The World Series year almost didnt happen either. Now he may go to Clemson and rip off 40 wins a year and return them to a top 25 program. Its a lot of money for a guy who didnt dominate a conference for 5-6 years and then earn something like this. I know he has that time at Vandy under his belt so that likely carries weight.

Now Jarrett is another story. He is a phenomenal coach, developer, recruiter, etc. Plus he surrounds himself with very good coaches who he lets coach. I hope FSU drops the ball and cant land him. I have been told all that being said that it is Jarrett until he says "No."

Advertisement
Took the hometown discount. Notre Dame was beating the numbers.

As I said they are making some promises (stadium, development items, etc). Time have changed. Location and name alone isn’t going to win. So Link has his work cut out. If he can’t do it fsu may not be the blue blood they think.

Respect the move. Although no one would mistake him for a great coach, Martin Jr. had a winning record in each of his three seasons and went to the regionals in both of the non-Covid years. FSU held him to a higher standard than "just good enough", despite family ties that no doubt made the decision difficult.
DiMare has been here a full season longer, and similarly has had a winning record and went to the regionals in each of his three non-Covid years, and also has family ties that would make a firing decision difficult. The difference is FSU didn't tolerate "just good enough", while UM seems poised to embrace it with a contract extension imminent. Kinda sad.

Advertisement
Back