Fsu early entries.

Advertisement
but it always strikes me as odd when kids leave early to be mid-round picks.

I agree in general.

IMO there is only a few reasons to leave (if you are going to be mid-round)...

1. Prone to Injuries (Lamar Milller at Miami with the shoulder),

2. Extreme Hardship (yet somehow you made it through 20 years of life without an NFL paycheck), or

3. Already have your degree.

I agree in general.

2. Extreme Hardship (yet somehow you made it through 20 years of life without an NFL paycheck), or

Some dudes leave because they can't improve their draft stock anymore; I think it's a win-lose situation for them in that they get into the NFL, but they don't have a college degree yet, which the vast majority of college players will need as most people don't play pro ball or play it for long enough/make enough money to not work again.

Kids who are smart who have their degree already and still have eligibility left should stay for their 5th, 6th years if possible to get their masters (if they haven't been booted).

But then again, kids aren't always the brightest and well thought out.

I agree in general.

Some dudes leave because they can't improve their draft stock anymore; I think it's a win-lose situation for them in that they get into the NFL, but they don't have a college degree yet, which the vast majority of college players will need as most people don't play pro ball or play it for long enough/make enough money to not work again.

I agree 100%

Good comparison would be Street versus Hankerson

While there are kids who may have reached their ceiling, having a duplicate season of success doesn't hurt (especially when you don't have a degree).

Take for example Hankerson...
JR: 45 for 801 and 6TD
SR: 72 for 1156 and 13TD

Remember all the talk about Hankerson had to go pro because of kids and stuff, he stayed and got the degree...We also heard (from dumb UM fans) that he reached his potential. He then put another season out with better numbers and did well...drafted in the first 3 rounds (79th overall).

Touchdown Tommy Streeter and the 6th Round of the NFL Draft

Some said that duplicating that success of his Rd-Jr would do him NOTHING or LITTLE. Before his 4th season he did next to nothing and was mostly in the doghouse. He has one good season and bolts with a lot of room for improvement. I have no idea if he has his degree either.

Rd-Jr 46 for 811 and 8TD

Advertisement
Kids who are smart who have their degree already and still have eligibility left should stay for their 5th, 6th years if possible to get their masters (if they haven't been booted).

But then again, kids aren't always the brightest and well thought out.

100% agree.

There is no reason, if you are taking classes for 5 years (summer classes, winter classes etc.) that you don't have a degree and a good start on a masters if not all of a masters.

Advertisement

I agree in general.

A lot of time extreme hardship happens during college and didn't exist prior to college. Such as a parent getting sick, etc.

Werner was a sure bet to leave. Xavier Rhodes is gone. We need Christian Jones to hate going to classes.

Advertisement
Hudson the LB coach is going back to East Carolina and Craig the QB coach is joining Malzhan at Auburn. Ole Jimbo is losing all his coaches.

Where is Joyner projected to go? The **** does the NFL care about a 5'8" safety?!

My name is Bob Sanders. Say it out loud.

Bad comparison. Bob Sanders was a physical specimen that could handle the rigors of an NFL beating. Bob was 205 lbs. of solid rock when he left IOWA for the NFL.

Bob Sanders was hurt all the time. He missed more games than he played in.

Exactly. He played three seasons worth of games. Drafting someone for 49 games played and paying him for roughly 112 games is stupid and a waste of a pick, especially if you think potential justifies it.

Advertisement
Don't look now but if Elam goes and prospers like most think he will, the Gaytirs will ahve seom serious NFL talent in the secondary. Hayden in Cleveland is top 5 at his position. Janoris Jenkins just had a monster rookie season as well. Kinda disturbing to see all the talent playing in Canesville and Tally,while we continue to beat our chests about the NFL-U.

I think it's time to re-name that slogan to GreenTree All American -U

That's about a drop in the bucket compared to what and who we've put in the league. It'll take them 10 more years and 2 more National Championships lol

Vinn you gotta stop exaggerating.. or at least take that back to canesport

Where is Joyner projected to go? The **** does the NFL care about a 5'8" safety?!

My name is Bob Sanders. Say it out loud.

Bad comparison. Bob Sanders was a physical specimen that could handle the rigors of an NFL beating. Bob was 205 lbs. of solid rock when he left IOWA for the NFL.

Bob Sanders was hurt all the time. He missed more games than he played in.

Exactly. He played three seasons worth of games. Drafting someone for 49 games played and paying him for roughly 112 games is stupid and a waste of a pick, especially if you think potential justifies it.

The Colts don't win the 07' Super Bowl without him and his run stuffing ways. I doubt they regret their investment in him.

Advertisement
Back