FSU at MIAMI 1/22 2PM ESPN

Rewatching the game and the officiating wasn’t just bad. It was atrocious. Absolutely next level awful.

We still should have won but the guys came out wound up too tight and 24 points was 1 too many to overcome in the last 20.

J Miller being limited by fouls in the 1st half was game changing.

Don’t know what Ham has on the zebras but his bag game has been strong for years on the recruiting side.
Nike bag game just on a different level right now. Seems like they're holding all the chips. Adidas and Under Armour have their moments but for every 1 guy Adidas lands, Nike lands 10.

Advertisement
All it takes is landing a big name coach. There’s no reason why we can’t land one if the money is there. All of these SEC schools have recently done it. Miami could easily become a landing spot for elite one and done kids too. Plus No K or Roy to deal with anymore. The time is now to make a splash hire.

That was fun to be at even though we lost.
43014.gif

After Wong second 4 point play that place exploded

Advertisement
Tough loss. Wong had a great game. Sam was good, didn't get the ball enough for 3 point shots. Poplar was good off the bench. McGusty shooting was off. Moore took too many shots and had unforced turnovers as did Miller. The shooting was off as a team and the d was poor in the first half.

I once naively said about Manny Diaz, "I'd we'd played a full season in 2020, that's a 10 win team and likely ACC Coastal champ for sure." There are only so many excuses one can make for a coach that constantly ****s the bed.

So let's say Coach L stays and brings in a good class, but has yet another losing season next year. Is the argument going to be that he deserves another couple of years to coach those recruits up? I don't hate the guy, but I think we've seen his upper limit at UM. Even with a loaded roster - the absolute BEST will ever do is make it to the Sweet 16 and lose (just getting out of the first round has been a struggle). I'm not happy with that.

That's not what I said. I said why would he leave. As in, on his own accord.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The lack of a big hurts. If you are Gak, how do you look at yourself in the mirror knowing that if you were merely competent, you could play a huge role? Miami needs a big that rebounds and defends the rim. That's it. Gak can't give you that. Sam can't do it by himself.
And that falls on L. Every person with common sense basketball knowledge could evaluate Gak and Rodney after 5+ seasons and conclude they just can't cut it in the ACC (and maybe even can't cut it in a lower level D1 league, either). Yet, L let Brooks go and didn't do a SINGLE THING to upgrade the frontcourt over the offseason. Couldn't recruit a HS big (we FINALLY have a couple coming in next year) and couldn't sign a transfer big when there were hundreds available in the portal. It was an EPIC fail, and it's leaving a glaring hole on this team. A 6'5 skinny Kam is our leading rebounder. Let that sink in.

Not a deep bench
We haven't had a deep bench in a decade or so. This team has two glaring deficiencies that have been exposed twice against FSU and even in some of our wins:

1. The lack of a big who can defend and rebound (which I touched on in the above post). I think Sam does an admirable job despite all the **** he takes us on this board. But he's playing out of position due to **** poor roster construction by L. Sam is NOT a 5. He is a stretch 4. Walker is also forced to play out of position when he comes in, and that's part of why he's having such a miserable junior season.

2. The lack of bench production. We rely on our starters for basically everything. When more than 1 of our 5 starters is having an off night, we are totally screwed. Beverly is out for the season, Gak and Rodney are unplayable, Walker is having a terrible season, and Wooga just isn't ready to be counted on for much. The only bench player who has given us consistent solid production is Joseph. So that basically means we have 6 reliable players. That's not nearly enough, especially when you're playing a tall, deep, athletic team like FSU.

Last edited:
Yeah, despite comments to the contrary, Wong got a decent look.

How you fall THAT far behind at home in the biggest game of the season is another question. They were TIGHT (you'd think an "older" team could handle the pressure better)!
I was afraid it would happen. I myself felt a little nervous and anxious before the game. The stakes were high: sell out crowd, celebrities in the stands, a chance to snap the streak vs FSU, a chance to take sole ownership of 1st place in the ACC. For the first time all season, the team had hype and expectations surrounding it. It's not an excuse for how tight and miserable we played the entire first half, though. It's one thing to come out like that for the first few minutes. But the fact that it took until the 18 minute mark in the second half for us to finally start playing our game is what was disappointing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We had sole Possession of first place at 6 and 1 while fsu was 5 and 2. Just saying we had it all to ourselves but not anymore. I'm still bothered by this finish. What a comeback though but to fall by 1 point was devastating. Gotta bounce back and beat the lower teams in the conference now.
I was afraid it would happen. I myself felt a little nervous and anxious before the game. The stakes were high: sell out crowd, celebrities in the stands, a chance to snap the streak vs FSU, a chance to take sole ownership of 1st place in the ACC. For the first time all season, the team had hype and expectations surrounding it. It's not an excuse for how tight and miserable we played the entire first half, though. It's one thing to come out like that for the first few minutes. But the fact that it took until the 18 minute mark in the second half for us to finally start playing our game is what was disappointing.
his ga

Advertisement
Back