Front 7 from this class in a 4-3 is nasty

DJWilliams55

Junior
Really need to keep class together and bringback TV. If staff would just relent on the 3-4 thing this is a killer 4-3 in a year or two.

WDE Demetrius Jackson
DT Trevonte Valentine
DT Anthony Moten
SDE Chad Thomas
WLB Darrion Owens
MLB Juwon Young
SLB Mike Smith

Badass. You got everything there. Stud passrush end, stud all around end, two monsters inside, fast heat seeking missile at Will, thumper at Mike, pass rusher at sam

Advertisement
Really need to keep class together and bringback TV. If staff would just relent on the 3-4 thing this is a killer 4-3 in a year or two.

WDE Demetrius Jackson
DT Trevonte Valentine
DT Anthony Moten
SDE Chad Thomas
WLB Darrion Owens
MLB Juwon Young
SLB Mike Smith

Badass. You got everything there. Stud passrush end, stud all around end, two monsters inside, fast heat seeking missile at Will, thumper at Mike, pass rusher at sam

I'm picking up where you're putting down my CANES Brother

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

WDE Demetrius Jackson
DT Trevonte Valentine
DT Anthony Moten
SDE Chad Thomas
WLB Darrion Owens
MLB Juwon Young
SLB Mike Smith

I have no problem with the 3-4 scheme as long as were playing down hill. With that being said here's what I think it could look.

Chad and Moten at the 5 Tech DE
Valentine and Jenkins at NT
M.Smith, D.Jackson, T.Harris, T.McCray at OLB/Rush End
J.Young and D.Owens in the Middle

In the 4-3 Owens will play outside but if we stick with the 3-4 he will be better suited to play the inside... Given the fact that Smith, Jackson, Harris, And McCray are better pass rushers.

In our base we partially predetermine our alignment in relation to the placement of the ball on the field. There's some proof in that we really don't ever adjust the front with a trade in tight end, unless the trade creates an unbalanced front, in which case the whole front just bumps down a man. Your best pass rusher (rush end) and corner back to the short side of the field (boundary).

That rush end this year was Shayon green. I think we all agree that he was a tough player for us, but we're happy to see him go. Normally in this scheme, that guy is one of your best athletes on the team. That person was not on our roster last year or ready to be an all down player. He has to be an elite pass rusher and he also needs to have the awareness and agility to play in coverage in a drop-8, or zone blitz situation. These are the situations that everyone in here is *****ing about.

This recruiting class has a few guys that might be able to fill those shoes properly. Lets be patient with the 3-4. Dorito isn't going anywhere no matter how much you complain. Maybe that *****ing about a DE dropping into coverage will turn into admiration of our incredibly athletic DE doing great things.

Last edited:
Advertisement

WDE Demetrius Jackson
DT Trevonte Valentine
DT Anthony Moten
SDE Chad Thomas
WLB Darrion Owens
MLB Juwon Young
SLB Mike Smith

Count me in the 4-3 crew

Don't forget Jenkins at DT too. This class is a great defensive class, especially front 7. Get Valentine back in and could be basis of an NC D. Flip the big boy from UGA and we are talking about a dline from back in the day.

I'm not sure Mike Smith could play OLB in a 4-3 but your point is well made.

I could see him groing into a DE at around 240 lbs in a 4-3.

Totally agree with the OP, the talent we are bringing screams 4-3 to me as well. I just don't see the MLB you need for a 3-4, or the size at OLB for that matter.

I'm not sure Mike Smith could play OLB in a 4-3 but your point is well made.

I could see him groing into a DE at around 240 lbs in a 4-3.

Totally agree with the OP, the talent we are bringing screams 4-3 to me as well. I just don't see the MLB you need for a 3-4, or the size at OLB for that matter.

There's different ways to run a 3-4.
Pittsburg steelers are very aggressive with it and their LB aren't huge.
IMO the problem here is not the alignment 3-4 or 4-3 it's the competence of the person running it.

Advertisement
Back