From the Perch: Wisconsin (Rewind)

View as article
I'll give you the defensive breakdown:

They held every **** play and it was never called.

They did but dont let Manny & the Dbs off the hook.

Many couldnt figure out what to do to stop double tights and unbalanced line.

Our Dbs forgot how to play the ball.

Advertisement
I was surprised to see this was the highest pinstripe bowl/wisco thread. We should not overlook this game. It can definitely give a boost to recruiting this cycle. Yeah top 15 is over but can still close some good guys.

This is a good bowl for us. The NYC connection is strong not just for alum but with recruits. NYC creates a similar edge that sofla does I dont hate it. Say what you want about golden also recruitng nyc but that is one of the FEW positives imo

Lets get some revenge for Orlando and Miami and get a solid win in YANKEE STADIUM. If any college program represents the glitz and glamour of the yanks its the U

Edit. Always believe. Never give up. We are in it for better or worse. Go canes ttdid

I don't think i've ever seen a game where every 50/50 ball went one way. The missed holds were blatant too.

.weird game

Yeah I never blamed the DBs too much for that game. Some of those catches seemed awfully fluky and I'm not in the camp who thinks DBs should turn and look for the ball (unless they're completely in-phase and close to the sideline). Redwine was torched in slot coverage though IIRC.

Advertisement
Yeah I never blamed the DBs too much for that game. Some of those catches seemed awfully fluky and I'm not in the camp who thinks DBs should turn and look for the ball (unless they're completely in-phase and close to the sideline). Redwine was torched in slot coverage though IIRC.

Yeah they are taught to play through the ball and play the receivers hands sometimes. Not always just about turning your head around. 100% correct.

I didn't pile on the defense this game because of what you said, fluke plays. But honestly my take away from this review, the offense from this year to last year didn't really change much in terms of design.

I think the writing was on the wall. Teams have figured it out.

I think Wisconsin did some things to really mess with the quarterback when you consider just in the boundary I noticed,

A CB run blitz
A CB flat out jumping a slant
A CB passing off a slant and having a linebacker waiting perfectly (dropped the int)
Covered the the HB with a rush end
Covered the HB with a Mike
Covered the HB with a Will
Played Malik Spy with the Mike and had the Rush end cover the back.
Doubled the slant high/low (got out of position)
and Press Man over and over

That was just to X boundary HB combo side. Imagine everything going on with the whole field. They didn't blitz much but man did they have a game plan otherwise.

When we run the same plays out of the same formations over and over again, it makes it pretty easy for the defense to throw different looks at us and confuse the QB and bait us into bad situations. Dammit man, we're finger painting here.

I was surprised to see this was the highest pinstripe bowl/wisco thread.

Because nobody cares and everyone knows that this team is dead man walking until some change is made and no change is apparent.

How are fans supposed to get excited about this? And yes, this recruiting class is a disaster, but really, what does it matter anyway? The NY Giants have some of the best playmakers in the league in ODB and Barkely, but they are a dumpster fire because of coaching.

Did you just read Roman's breakdown? We've been seeing the same crap since Richt has been here. He doesn't change and our offense gets progressively worse year after year. Unless this Wisco team has completely given up (unlikely), we'll be lucky to score 14 offensive points against them.

Yeah they are taught to play through the ball and play the receivers hands sometimes. Not always just about turning your head around. 100% correct.

Yeah I don't think fans realize how great a DB coach Rumph is. I see NFL corners panic very often when the ball is in the air. Our corners almost never do and they have excellent press technique, use good sharp angles in run support, and generally improve every year. But I guess he should have been fired last year for not closing on some bag-seeking corner recruits, right?

Advertisement
Yeah I don't think fans realize how great a DB coach Rumph is. I see NFL corners panic very often when the ball is in the air. Our corners almost never do and they have excellent press technique, use good sharp angles in run support, and generally improve every year. But I guess he should have been fired last year for not closing on some bag-seeking corner recruits, right?

Always said if rumph's on the field teaching ability and development matched his recruiting he'd be the best db coach in America.

Hand's down.

He bows down to no one technique wise imo.

Advertisement
Back