From the Perch: Virginia Tech

View as article
There are certain benchmarks stat wise that you just cant accept in football when it comes to coaching. Its a fireable offense no questions asked. Like if an NFL coach goes 1-15 or 0-16. Hes gotta go. Immediately. (I.E., Cam Cameron when he was the Dolphins coach)

I say that to say, if this OL gives up 45+ sacks this year, Barry has to go. I don't want to hear any excuses about youth, lack of talent, "not his players, he didn't recruit them, he is working with what he was given" BS either, Sorry...You are OUT!..

That might mean we lose Jalen Rivers but so be it. **** if we give up that many sacks I assure you we went 6-6 or worse so Rivers is probably gone anyway.

Advertisement
This is what I have been trying to point out to everyone shytting on our LBs. Not saying they are elite but they get a lot of false blame. Everyone keeps blaming them for the TE going off but nobody knows their assignments.

• The first TD from 29, Pinck blitzed and it looks like shaq had a spy. Knowles blitzed from the backside and Hall dropped down post snap to the play side as 29 dragged across the field from the strong side. If we were in man, it looks like Hall was suppose to run with 29.
  • The second TD from 29, our entire front 7 rushed including Phillips who was in the box leaving the flats wide open
  • His 3rd TD was on Pinck who bit on the run fake.
  • 29’s catch at the end that put them on the 5 was the exact same play call as the first TD from 29. Same formation and all. We still blitz Pinck and had Shaq spying. Instead of blitzing the back side safety, Phillips dropped to middle 3rds, and Hall dropped down again to the play side post snap as the 29 dragged across the field. This time it looks like we were in zone leaving another void in the flats.

I'm trying to follow along but you've mentioned Phillips twice here. Who are you talking about?

Advertisement
No thanks. 😎 you all would boo me in a week. (Plus I am unqualified and having WAY too much fun where I'm at. )
No way and even so at least I would know it's from someone is giving it their all and cares about the canes truly. Have u ever thought about coaching you could help some kids down here qb wise we dont have many good qb coaches in soflo

Zion is a liability at left tackle. No way around it. Leaving him in at this point is not going to bode well for his confidence long term if he has any propensity to doubt himself.

Simply gets beat way to early and often which leads Miami in a really strange predicament.

I've heard "he's the best option we have at LT" and that is essentially an indictment to the lack of offensive line depth this team has. OR he isn't the best option and the staff's ability to evaluate and implement talent is less than to be desired. I don't know which one is worse.

In either case after 5 games in I can attest this offensive line is not communicating like it should and getting bested routinely. It's really bad along the lines of balance as well. We are getting knocked over, hooked, shooed aside way too easily for my liking. Seems like I catch an offensive linemen falling over from a simple swim or rip repeatedly especially at tackle.

I'm not a technique offensive line guy... I'm more the look over their heads and see what's down field type... but I can see the stats and they are dead last protecting the qb while getting worse not better.

Miami fired a coach after 36 sacks given up once. Miami is currently on pace for a staggering 60 sacks given up in a single season. Now I know from reports that the offensive line kids respect butch and that's he's a good coach but I don't think I can accept the fact he'd be allowed to keep his job at this rate.

Miami does NOT have offensive line talent THIS bad. It's bad but it's not THAT bad. They've out recruited the likes of old dominion, new Mexico state etc. Etc. And when you consider Duke has marched out a freshman at left tackle and a red shirt freshman playing offensive line vs VT PITT AND BAMA yet only given up 4?

Something isn't adding up. Schematically, fundamentally, **** philosophically. Butch should be on the hot seat. Something this bad week to week needs to start somewhere with accountability. It's big business... why not him?

To be honest starting a freshman at LT was a risky proposition from the beginning. Letting Cleveland Reed transfer has proved unwise. Zion has played his way out of the starting lineup. He is not the best option playing so poorly. This staff rewards kids who carry their water, instead of playing the best players. To be totally honest half of these sacks are on the QBs who can't audible out of bad plays, adjust protection, just take off and run or throw the ball away.

Many of the same issues of last year's O-line; half way through the season and still looking for people to nail down positions to stop the bleeding. Except this year's is making a run for the NCAA sacks allowed record.

Advertisement
No way and even so at least I would know it's from someone is giving it their all and cares about the canes truly. Have u ever thought about coaching you could help some kids down here qb wise we dont have many good qb coaches in soflo

I have actually worked with a couple kids in the past. But my background, other than being a qb for STA back in the day, I actually played a little professional baseball. So right now I have a little slugger son who is a switch hitting 8 year old dirt devil so my coaching is just on that side of the street these days.

Many of the same issues of last year's O-line; half way through the season and still looking for people to nail down positions to stop the bleeding. Except this year's is making a run for the NCAA sacks allowed record.

It is very weird phenomenon. I literally thought that a diversified offense would lead to better production. The one thing I talked with both Brad Kaaya and Malik Rosier about in particular was that Richt was so basic in premise that it hampered the offense. Both unilaterally agreed that a diversified system would benefit the offensive line. Now take that information added with the fact at the beginning of the year we had a phone interview with Joaquin Gonzales before the Florida game.

"Joaquin, do you have concerns with both tackles being so young?" He wasn't concerned and saw them personally and that he wished he was that big and athletic. There was nothing that he said in that 30 minute interview that tempered the expectations of the Offensive line. I actually was more excited about it after to be quite honest.

Then week zero happened. And just when you thought it was an anomaly you realized it wasn't.

I honestly think even the staff has to be surprised at just how poorly this offensive line has done. Because the former players I have talked to, did not see this coming.

I have actually worked with a couple kids in the past. But my background, other than being a qb for STA back in the day, I actually played a little professional baseball. So right now I have a little slugger son who is a switch hitting 8 year old dirt devil so my coaching is just on that side of the street these days.
Nice baseball was my first love. Try to make him left handed if he doesn't want to switch hit better for his chances getting in the league I was 16th round pick by the Orioles a couple years ago

Advertisement
I'm no mayor's son but I can fix this. Bill Bedenbaugh makes 750k at Oklahoma (salary as of January). He wants to call plays one day. Won't happen EVER with Lincoln Riley as HC. Enos is 2 and out (some G5 gig will open up). Hire Bedenbaugh as OL coach, co-OC at 900k. Thats even more $ in Florida with no income tax. He can help Enos work in spread concepts (he helped Riley add a power run element to the Air Raid). He will also be OC in-waiting.

Miami gets better at OL play, recruiting, and play design. Plus Miami will be grooming a replacement for Enos when he leaves. I know- that requires Manny to be forward thinking and admit he made a mistake in his OL coach, and he's probably too insecure to admit it.

Would absolutely love Bedenbaugh here as OL coach and OC in-waiting. What an unbelievable steal that would be plus I’m sure he’s at the very least a good to great recruiter as well. It’s about time we quit ******** around with G5 coaches and get some young and upcoming coaching talent on board who can, you know, bring in talent and develop it.

Baker needs to go, he was given the keys to a Lamborghini and he’s already bent the rims running on flat, airless tires, and has spilled McDonald’s stops all over the interior of the once beautiful car. He’s better served at a DII or G5 school. Miami is too high tech for him. And if things continue to be squandered by ***** and his play calling then you can dump him for Bedenbaugh, all day, everyday.

It is very weird phenomenon. I literally thought that a diversified offense would lead to better production. The one thing I talked with both Brad Kaaya and Malik Rosier about in particular was that Richt was so basic in premise that it hampered the offense. Both unilaterally agreed that a diversified system would benefit the offensive line. Now take that information added with the fact at the beginning of the year we had a phone interview with Joaquin Gonzales before the Florida game.

"Joaquin, do you have concerns with both tackles being so young?" He wasn't concerned and saw them personally and that he wished he was that big and athletic. There was nothing that he said in that 30 minute interview that tempered the expectations of the Offensive line. I actually was more excited about it after to be quite honest.

Then week zero happened. And just when you thought it was an anomaly you realized it wasn't.

I honestly think even the staff has to be surprised at just how poorly this offensive line has done. Because the former players I have talked to, did not see this coming.

I bought it too, even though I should have known better. I played OL from junior high through college - there's never a quick fix with a non-performing O-line at any level, you can build experience, but as we are seeing its a painful process, and dangerous. On the other hand, I played on some great ones, with guys that started young together (4 of us as freshmen in college, the 5th was an All-American soph) - that first year we went 6-4 the next three we won two conference titles nationally ranked offense. Small college, but still.

I mentioned last year that I've seen HS O-lines adjust to pick up blitzes better than we did last year against LSU. They never adjusted, guys were stepping away form the blitz rather than towards, like no instincts once the play starts to break down, like going sideways in the hole if you have to.

Some programs are known for O-lines that address the type of football they play. Miami has had a few great O-lines on those NC teams, but otherwise, has never really been one of those schools. Instead we get blinded by the skills and don't recruit those guys well, plus I don;t think the cornfeds want to be in this heat all the time. O-linemen are usually pretty smart - they want to play with guys that can drive a team. You can see the **** this and last year's O-line took and is taking (even though they played barely good enough to win if we had a kicker and not taken bonehead celebration penalties), but no O-lineman wants to come here to be the "Savior" if a majority of the other 4 don't have it together. So I think its an institutional problem for whatever reason. Coaching's been bad, but they can't go pick up a blitz or get their hands on a DE for them.

Enjoy your posts and break downs.

Advertisement
I'm no mayor's son but I can fix this. Bill Bedenbaugh makes 750k at Oklahoma (salary as of January). He wants to call plays one day. Won't happen EVER with Lincoln Riley as HC. Enos is 2 and out (some G5 gig will open up). Hire Bedenbaugh as OL coach, co-OC at 900k. Thats even more $ in Florida with no income tax. He can help Enos work in spread concepts (he helped Riley add a power run element to the Air Raid). He will also be OC in-waiting.

Miami gets better at OL play, recruiting, and play design. Plus Miami will be grooming a replacement for Enos when he leaves. I know- that requires Manny to be forward thinking and admit he made a mistake in his OL coach, and he's probably too insecure to admit it.
Why would you leave a perennial Play Off contender for a $150k pay rise and, essentially, the same job just with a slightly fancier title?

He'll get an OC job if he moves - makes no sense to otherwise.

Advertisement
Back