From the Perch: UVA

And at least FOUR of those tight throws could have been intercepted. Even various play-by-play analyst mentioned that JW got away with those type of throws. Nevertheless, opposing DC's will employ the same tactics as crusty old Grandpa Foster. Because they have the inside info' on JW now.

Man press is inside info?

Advertisement
Enos needs to speed up JW’s internal clock somehow. Get him to play with a little more urgency. “Look our OL is a sieve, so for the love of God and your mothers mental health, if it’s not there take off or get rid of it or we’re gonna end up scraping you off the turf.” My $0.02.

Go Canes!
He needs to do that with quicker routes and reads and quit the slow play action. That would be a **** of a start.

If Dan enos is gonna keep calling the same stupid plays, then Nkosi Perry needs to start. Sure jarrens more accurate, but has no pocket presence, cant scramble, cant throw deep and as bud foster said, is too tentative on his throws sometimes. Nkosi gives us the best chance to win with our porous O line and the play calling.

i don’t think we see Jarren for a while. Shoulder injuries for a qb ain’t nothing to play with. Manny and staff shouldn’t rush him back. Kosi is more than capable. Also I thought Kosi was accurate expect for the deep routes to KJ and Thomas.

I don’t think we win if Jarren played VA. I felt he would have been sacked at least three more times, one on the screen to DJ for the score. I also don’t think he would have run for the first on 4th or the TD. Maybe Jarren throws better but he has not beat a P5 team. I felt the entire team had a different
Mentality w a Kosi. I believe QB is more than passing. I like all our QBs but feel Kosi finally has this team confident.

Advertisement
No, not necessarily any blue print that Foster provided. Everyone has been able to get pressure so that is not new. The interceptions from Jarren were characterized by me in this fashion. 1. fluke bounce not necessarily his fault (staff alluded to this as well) 2. bad ball any way you spin it 3. Got hit when he threw it. Still forced it a bit but still curious if he is not getting hit on that play. Don't think it was a blue print thing that led to those picks if you ask me.

I was going by what Foster commented on post game that they thought by sitting back and then breaking on the ball they knew was coming underneath they could get picks. Seems he saw something with Jarren and our offense on film they could exploit so was not necessarily flukie.

I agree that can also be a function of our oline that the ball needs to come out faster and routes need to be shorter. Perry is more a wild card in that he can make plays when things go south. Jarren just doesn't seem to react decisively when the pocket breaks down.

I think right now Perry gives us a better chance to win games though he isn't necessarily the better qb.

I appreciate your film breakdowns. Very insightful.

Let's pretend a healthy JW plays. Does Enos call better plays? Probably not. Maybe Jarren hits some passes out past 10 yards, but I don't have a lot of confidence in our WRs. Where Perry makes the difference is with the game on the line, he pulls the ball and runs in for a TD. He's got moxy. The main QB trait he was missing was leadership, but he seems to have turned it around. This is not a knock on Williams, but I don't think he runs for a TD at the end. He'll wait for a receiver to get open, but that might mean a sack. In those situations, you need the QB to will his team to victory.

Perry showed me a lot. I keep going back to the traits Urban Meyer says he looks for. Who is better when the play breaks down? I think Perry has the edge. JW is a far better passer, Perry is the more effective QB. To put it another way, if this was Rosier vs Kaaya, who do you start? With this OL, I'd play Rosier. Need a guy who picks up yards with his legs. JW CAN run, but he isn't decisive enough yet to run for first downs. I would stick with Perry as I feel he's the better playmaker at the moment.

Advertisement
Let's pretend a healthy JW plays. Does Enos call better plays? Probably not. Maybe Jarren hits some passes out past 10 yards, but I don't have a lot of confidence in our WRs. Where Perry makes the difference is with the game on the line, he pulls the ball and runs in for a TD. He's got moxy. The main QB trait he was missing was leadership, but he seems to have turned it around. This is not a knock on Williams, but I don't think he runs for a TD at the end. He'll wait for a receiver to get open, but that might mean a sack. In those situations, you need the QB to will his team to victory.

Perry showed me a lot. I keep going back to the traits Urban Meyer says he looks for. Who is better when the play breaks down? I think Perry has the edge. JW is a far better passer, Perry is the more effective QB. To put it another way, if this was Rosier vs Kaaya, who do you start? With this OL, I'd play Rosier. Need a guy who picks up yards with his legs. JW CAN run, but he isn't decisive enough yet to run for first downs. I would stick with Perry as I feel he's the better playmaker at the moment.

I really don't think you can make that judgement on JW as far as running. He will run; he has done it. He ran a few times for nice gains in the UNC game. I discount the entire second half of the CMU game given the fact the kid was hurt. None of the offense did anything in that game. As far as the running part is concerned, Perry's first inclination is always to run - it's just his play style. I hope Jarren gets healthy enough to get back on the field. For a player who never saw the field last season, I think he has done pretty well and continues to grow.

It sure seems like the staff expected this OL to be farther down the path of development at this point.

Perfect opportunity to break in a new OT just saying.The time is now to sit Zion nelson. We are playing the worst team in the acc with ga tech so i want to see scaife at left tackle and at least give Campbell or Herbert a shot at playing right tackle. It’s not fair for them to not even be given a chance to plays when Nelson is disruptive offensive drives week in and week out. Nelson may be a player down the road but he clearly isn’t now. We are getting our qbs abused by having our weakest olineman at the most critical postion for a right handed qb
disagree bro ... nothing about our team is experimental ... we need guys to get better at what they do and the only way to do that is to play, regardless of the competition ... in regards to zion, they see him as the future, it's a situation that if no one else is clearly better, why not start him and let him grow and take the lumps

I really don't think you can make that judgement on JW as far as running. He will run; he has done it. He ran a few times for nice gains in the UNC game. I discount the entire second half of the CMU game given the fact the kid was hurt. None of the offense did anything in that game. As far as the running part is concerned, Perry's first inclination is always to run - it's just his play style. I hope Jarren gets healthy enough to get back on the field. For a player who never saw the field last season, I think he has done pretty well and continues to grow.

It sure seems like the staff expected this OL to be farther down the path of development at this point.

Jarren is a terrible runner he doesn’t even know when it’s time to run or not. He couldn’t even run for a 1st down on 4th and 1.

Advertisement
Kosi was 50% passing for most of the game - that last drive changed the %. To my eye he was the same as he was last year - hot and cold passing. He goes through times when he is a world beater, others where he cannot hit the side of a barn (it also didn't help that receivers where dropping balls, but like last year that is a apart of the problem). Also as mentioned before, Kosi still doesn't have the ability to read the field. He locks on to his first read. JW is very accurate and seems very disciplined in his reads. With that said JW RS freshman and it shows - he is slow in his progressions and doesn't move well in the pocket (something that Kosi really does well). I just feel with this line and our OC's long developing play mentality, Kosi gives us a better chance. Also, I may just be imaging it, but the team just seems to have more juice when Kosi is playing. Neither player has a quick release, and our OC does nothing to help them. Therefore give me the guy who can improvise and move in the pocket to buy time.

The offense didn’t play nearly well enough to win that game. 17 points at home is not going to get it done 98% of the time. The defense gets credit for that win. Perry was OK, he didn’t beat himself and he was elusive in the pocket. But you can’t have 12 yards over a full half of football and expect to beat teams. If the defense doesn’t play it’s best ball of the season, we’re sitting here at 2-4 and Perry is getting NO love.

The offense didn’t play nearly well enough to win that game. 17 points at home is not going to get it done 98% of the time. The defense gets credit for that win. Perry was OK, he didn’t beat himself and he was elusive in the pocket. But you can’t have 12 yards over a full half of football and expect to beat teams. If the defense doesn’t play it’s best ball of the season, we’re sitting here at 2-4 and Perry is getting NO love.

noted, but its important not to underestimate how many negative plays Jarren gives up that Nkosi doesnt that lose you games

Advertisement
That is a simple but tough question that deserves an answer. I still go with Jarren Williams as my starter. I understand that there is a really intense following for N'kosi Perry and there is no doubt an improvement in his game over the course of a year. But here is my opinion on the matter after watching the first 6 games. I never thought Jarren was the reason for the losses the first 4 games.

He was the leading ACC passer in terms of percentage and did not throw one single interception. (A couple in harms way sure) Williams has the ability to be incredibly accurate with the ball and throw the ball with extreme arm confidence. There were some correctable deep ball things he can shore up mechanically but I disagree when people write it up as simply "arm strength." And let's be really honest here, Kosi has the arm, but he certainly missed on a deep shot or two this week as well. This might be a systemic issue not idio-centric. Both Miami qb's have missed on deep shots.

Enter the VT game and that was about what you would expect from a freshman. Except it was much differently than what I expected. It did not happened over the course of one game let alone 5, it happened on back to back to back drives. (I supported the decision to pull him by the way) Bud Foster comes out after the game and states some obvious things. Jarren does not have a Patrick Mahomes arm (generalized) and that he threw a couple intercept-able passes on film. OK. Fair. But not many people have that arm strength in the NFL let alone college.

You ask my humble opinion if Williams can make all the necessary throws to operate this offense? The answer is resoundingly yes. I bet if you ask Dan Enos this, he would agree with you too. Does that mean he can make all the throws Kosi can in the same manner? No. It does not. These kids are good at doing different things. That is the reality of it.

I will share my world a little further. I do these clips and get TONS of feedback. It is a constant blitz of sorts. "Jarren should have ran it, it was a wide open lane. etc" (And Jarren in his own admission this year said he should run a little sooner at times) This week? "N'kosi Perry STILL can't read the field, Deejay was wide open in the flats when he decided to run that ball in for six."

I mean which way do you want to go here? You just need to just say no Qb is necessarily wrong here, just different. Perry looks to run the ball sooner than Jarren. That is true. Jarren by percentage is more accurate with the ball and operates the middle of the field much better. I have film breakdown that might corroborate that as well.

So why do I pick Jarren to start next week if healthy? Because winning that quarterback battle over the course of the spring and summer still matters to me. He won the job and impressed his coaches week to week and beat out a good stable of qb's in doing so. That is a big reason why. That was cumulative. That should not so easily be erased by a really bad start to a game. Once again I always knew Jarren would make freshman mistakes. It just looks worse when it was all at once.

Now what did N'kosi Perry just do? He won. He improved over the course of a year. He showed me that a more mobile option can bail out this offensive line who is still very poor at communication and looking for work way to often. Perry showed me that all that hard cumulative work Jarren Williams put in during the off-season to win the job is now going to be marginalized. Perry has a certain spark about him and that distance Jarren put between him and #2 is ready to get engulfed and erased with more "Freshman" Mistakes.

QB1 is going to have to even play better then he did before. There is no other choice.
Sounds like neither is our savior, which still has me scratching my head as to why this place went mental when we got Tate, who can’t even beat out either of these two guys?

noted, but its important not to underestimate how many negative plays Jarren gives up that Nkosi doesnt that lose you games
People playing revisionist history now and making it out that Jarren has had pocket presence like he had vs uf in the other games too which has not been the case. He’s been better in that regard but obviously still room for improvement.

10 sacks vs uf- that was bad no question about it.

4 sacks vs unc- it dropped but still needed improvement.

4 sacks vs central Michigan - Zion got abused
2 straight sacks quick as ****. Jakai Clarkewas abused on the 2 yard or low which led to a sack.

let’s not forget, Perry had 6 sacks vs va tech who’s dline has been terrible all year so the problem ain’t exclusive to Jarren either. With that being said Perry has shown he’s a bit more elusive in the pocket

Perry didn’t have to pull the ball and run with it on 3rd down. Deejay was wide open at the bottom of the screen

JW can run. It is his decisiveness and instinct to do it that is questionable. His indecisiveness is what is leading to more sacks and being more vulnerable to injury. At least when Perry takes off he is giving hits as well as taking them. He is just not a sitting duck back there like JW.

JW definitely has the higher ceiling but he is getting killed back there with this oline. Bottom line right now is winning games, not trying to avoid hurting JW's feelings.

Advertisement
Back