From the Perch: UVA

I remember living in Boise when Chris Petersen took BSU to a "neutral" game in Atlanta against Richt and Georgia. Georgia, was of course favored given the large talent gap......Petersen out-coached the **** out of Richt and BSU easily handled them. Nothing has really changed since then except Richt has possibly regressed. I don't mean to pile on the guy but I honestly feel like he's just lost passion, has low-T, or is just not a very intelligent person.

Advertisement
Excellent write up. Old Mork doesn't realize it but he's on the verge of finding out exactly what it was like to be in Al Grolden's shoes that last year in Miami. He's not going to get near the time, nor the grace before the planes start flying. Hope he's smart enough to make some tough decisions these next 2 weeks. All indications are we hired the EXACT same Richt that Georgia fired. Depressing....

Roman, can you please explants the purpose of the running back shifting before the snap and why is it done?

@Roman Marciante i have a legit question for you:
Richt got Perry going in the fiu and with the short dink and dunk plays like screens and short passes. Is this something that could work against the real competition? Or was it just we were so much better than fiu?

Seriously curious and hope you could provide some insight

Roman, can you please explants the purpose of the running back shifting before the snap and why is it done?

Absolutely. It hides the run strength till late. A modern defense does two things when it walks up to line on every play

1. Identify the run strength
2. Identify the pass strength

They theoretically and often times can be on opposite sides from each other.

By shifting late, it'll give the defense less of a chance to identify the run strength. Thus you can hold an advantage on offense by keeping a team from setting their defense personnel wise to match.

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante i have a legit question for you:
Richt got Perry going in the fiu and with the short dink and dunk plays like screens and short passes. Is this something that could work against the real competition? Or was it just we were so much better than fiu?

Seriously curious and hope you could provide some insight

You know you bring up an interesting point. First game on the road for a freshman qb. Maybe you taylor make the game plan to get him comfortable underneath.

Miami took shots instead.

I honestly think Perry does some really good quarterbacking things. He moves defenders, nice compact stroke. He got the hook a little to prematurely for my liking. He had his first road start. He stared down a seam after having success the last few weeks on it. And UVA got him on a perfectly good call to the boundary. He will learn from both.

He is a freshman. He will make mistakes. Rosier is who he is. He is bad mechanically. Stares down receivers. No way he gives you a better chance to win. Take your lumps at this point. Not like you were making the championship game anyways. So plan for the future. See what you have with Perry.

The worst thing of all was benching Perry, scapegoating him, and giving him no hope at all that he could get back into the game.

I’m sickened.

Our offense runs like what 8 plays total maybe ...... What #%&@ do they practice all week every week? Those same 8 plays??

And what was all that, covering for me, the coaches , and players mess in the post game? Sounded like a guy who knew he blew it....

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante I'm almost certain this the same or very similar look Duke gave us last year after Richards burned them over the top twice, and the offense stalled then too until 4th quarter when Richards took a 5 yard route like 40+ yards. ( I'm about to go watch to be sure)

Literally all you have to do is watch a Rams game and ******* copy them. Thats it. Thats literally it. Steal their entire ******* playbook for ***** sake. Do something different.

@Roman Marciante Awesome write-up. Two questions for you-knowing what we know about Richt and this offense (1) what changes, if any, do you think we’ll realistically see when we play BC and (2) what changes, if any, do you think we’ll see in the offseason?

Advertisement
Good stuff.

I'd love to see this juxtaposed (in context) with all the football games I've watched today. Put on NBC and you'll watch NFL offenses say "FU" to the "just execute perfectly and it'll be fine" approach. Instead, they'll toss all sorts of movement up and across the field. I know colleges can't do that level of complexity, but at least a tiny bit? We see other schools do at least some of it. I can lay asleep in a beach chair inside the hashes and be safe 95% of the time our offense is throwing the ball. Still way too frustrated to re-watch the game.

Literally all you have to do is watch a Rams game and ******* copy them. Thats it. Thats literally it. Steal their entire ******* playbook for ***** sake. Do something different.
I'm watching the Patriots/Chiefs game and it looks like an entirely different sport than Miami foozball. I thought for a hot second how Richt would do in the pros and immediately started laughing.

Advertisement
Even if he just randomly picked stuff off of it it would work better than this

Roman, Thanks. Great job as usual. A couple of questions,
Why no deep post patterns? Normally The worst that happens there is an overthrown ball that fall harmlesslyto the ground. It seemed that both qb’s were underthrowing the ball.
In Richt’s statement of looking at everything should he look at Williams?

Advertisement
Back