From the Perch: UNC

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
We saw more turnover chains than incomplete passes on Thursday night but InSight stays locked in and on target. Back to back weeks N'Kosi Perry posted a 66% completion rate after an 8-12 performance in which he threw one touchdown and one interception. Let's go from the Gun and identify the blitz with the next edition of From the Perch.

It did not take long for Perry to make his presence known. Try the first play of the game. Mike Harley once again proved to be a valuable target from the slot on these vertical seam routes. Credit Harley for redirecting this inside as the safety was pushing outside. Later on in the breakdown you will see UNC definitely took notice and tried to defend this by matching Harley underneath and changing their defensive alignment.

I said this last week and it's true again this week. The subtle play fake is holding the backer and they essentially have no chance underneath these routes once they get flat footed. The speed of Harley is just too much and he finds the seam idealistically.

Note the will backer's technique here. He is shaded outside. This looks like an obvious attempt at match coverage underneath by UNC. By having his hips open to the receiver it in essence gives him a head start in coverage. We do not know the actual play call here but it's a smash concept to the boundary from 10 set personnel. Perry shows an instinctual run prowess here and rushes for a nice gain.

Now the fact UNC is aggressively playing the slot underneath with match coverage is what opens up the huge running lane for Kosi. The will backer turns his back on the play and is essentially nullified in run support. If the staff didn't have this RPO in the repertoire before they 100% should. It's a simple concept. I see a defender's back, run. I see his face, pass. It could have been an RPO to begin with, we will have to ask Richt when we get the chance.

Perry throws with anticipation. Another concept Perry was extremely successful with last week vs FIU was this bang 8 (post) flat concept. This was the same concept Perry's first touchdown to Cager was on last week. As you can see when Perry decides to throw the ball, what the relationship Langham has with the defender. Perry notes the positioning of the LB and essentially writes him off as a non factor. That is a bullet for a reception.

This angle will show you that the ball was in fact thrown a little beyond Langham who made a good adjustment on the ball. I will not blame Perry here so much. The offensive lineman to his left really impeded his ability to front this ball more. Also Perry does a very good job planting his back foot and firing. He is not late on this ball whatsoever.

It was well documented in week one that Miami struggle vs LSU with the db blitz. Both interceptions from Red Shirt Senior Malik Rosier came off that same variety. InSight recommended two things after that game and we will be blunt about it. A) The Hurricanes needed to vary their silent count because LSU exposed them on late walk ups. You will notice the Canes take plenty of time prior to the snap these past weeks and Perry will clap his hands numerous times before the snap to help identify the coverage.

B) You needed to make a change at quarterback. No reason you should be fooled or so unaware at times where the blitz is coming from. Here is exactly a perfect example of how a quarterback should handle the blitz. The pre-snap keys are there. The safety is giving away the CB blitz by continuously shading over the X receiver. Plus cornerbacks often do a pre-snap jitter and do not bluff well.

The cornerback does in fact come and the X receiver is immediately adjusted to a hot stop route. Perry once again shows his propensity to get the receiver the ball first and foremost and forsakes perfect footwork to do so. He hits his back foot and rifles the ball for a positive game. If Miami would have done this week one on a consistent basis, the outcome would have been a whole lot different. That is just my opinion.

This is a very difficult throw for a quarterback rolling opposite his throwing hand. You almost get a sense that Jordan, who was selling a wham block from the H back position, is usually open in practice. The UNC mike does a good job flowing with the play and attaching to Brevin who was read number one. Read number two is covered on the opposite side deep drag.

Now the mike backer does a good job but this is a blown coverage assignment from the will backer. He lets Harley run right bye him on an out and up. Perry does a good job seeing him on the peripheral and gets his third read the ball. A little hop step and a jump mechanically here but Perry keeps showing the ability to get receivers the ball when they need it. Personally plays like this make me cringe. Broken plays need to be touchdowns. Don't allow the defense another day.

Perry has been extremely efficient and protective of the football in the red zone. This play is just QB ****. Langham will run a stutter go while Jordan runs directly underneath to the flat. Perry throws that little shoulder at the defense like and an one mix tape then delivers a surgical dagger. When Perry delivers the ball you see the window he is looking at. It's smaller than a Cam Aker's highlight and Langham uses his man hands to secure the bag. You simply cannot throw this ball any better.

rOmaN on Twitter

Perry is a gunslinger. His velocity on throws is off the charts. And when you have the equivalent of six pack abs of arm strength, you tend to want to take your shirt off. Here it appears to be a dagger concept with Harley in the slot and Hightower at the Z. A few things I do not like on this play. Dagger concepts are typically run with an option to go or dig based on open or closed concepts.

Harley reads this right as "closed" when a safety is over the top of him. Harley rightly runs a dig but I wish he would break this off flatter and away from the safety. The week before Harley grabs a hot contested ball that was 50/50 which happened to be tipped. This week it went the other way. Also I feel this was the wrong read. The lb who ultimately makes the interception vacates underneath. Hightower was the right read and open here.

rOmaN on Twitter

Last clip will be an example why quarterbacks must carry out the play fake. UNC lines up with heavy numbers to the field to combat the trips. Miami in 11 set personnel with Jordan in line. Perry gives to Homer on this simple inside zone play and you see the backside rush end is left unblocked. The end pauses .05 seconds to respect Perry's play fake and that was all that was necessary for the house call. Great vision and cutback by Homer here. Have to give the running back his props.

rOmaN on Twitter

No going back now. This is Perry's gig. After two solid weeks I am amazed that it took so long to insert Perry as the starter into this offense. He is much more efficient and very comfortable within the confines of Richt's scheme. His ability to add a potent vertical seam game is opening up this offense with a myriad of possibilities. Two weeks in a row now he has shown great efficacy in the intermediate portion of the field. A cog that was extremely deficient several weeks ago.

Perry is a much more potent runner as well. The scary thing is, Richt has not really featured that portion of his game yet. Perry has been primarily pass first in premise with only a couple of chances to really display his running ability. Even when I feel Perry ran a little early, the running lane was so wide that you could fit three Kendrick Norton's through them. Hard to fault a quarterback that is in tune instinctively in those moments. Of course we will play hypocrite if the play goes for a loss.

Coming in, UNC had the worst rush defense in the conference and Perry did not need to do much vs. the Tar Heels. Plus when your team's defensive scoring is higher than the opponent's total, the quarterback essentially can take the day off. But no rest for the weary Perry. The Seminoles are coming into town.

Perry has more tools than the guy he usurped from the position two weeks ago but he has to repeat a feat that his predecessor did. That feat of course is to beat FSU. You can have all the tools in the world but at the end of the day if you do not beat Florida State, it's just an empty house. Happy FSU week Canes fans.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Awesome write up as usual. Love reading these every week.

Btw....the last tweet linked was a repeat of the Harley int play and not Homer's run

**** me that’s some good stuff.

Later in the game Perry had that insane run on 3rd and long I believe. He seemed to be shocked he was the only one hyped about it. I felt the same way. Rosier was a **** tough runner but Perry is going to do some major damage on the ground.

Enjoyed this. As you demonstrate, Perry has the tools. It’s his time now to etch his name in this rivalry.

Advertisement
Perry has a lot of growing to do as a QB but he can do certain things that Rosier has no concept of...

Awesome write up as usual. Love reading these every week.

Btw....the last tweet linked was a repeat of the Harley int play and not Homer's run

That two times in a week. Coach is going to bench me if I keep that up. Weird it's always the last one that gets jacked up. I'll have to phone the inSight technical support team on this one.

Advertisement
Enjoyed this. As you demonstrate, Perry has the tools. It’s his time now to etch his name in this rivalry.

Oh absolutely. The InSight gang is doing a round table segment this week. And this is exactly what I reference. You got more tools than the last guy, but the last guy definitely has a feather in the cap that you don't have. Go get that feather.

Perry has a lot of growing to do as a QB but he can do certain things that Rosier has no concept of...

I would agree. But he is handling this offense better than what the practice reports were saying. I think he has a good handle of the offense and at the very least, has been VERY definitive in his decisions. He looks very confident in what his eyes are telling him. He does not look like a freshman out there in my opinion.

Perry is a natural at the position.

If Bard Kaayak can start from day one Perry should have too.

That two times in a week. Coach is going to bench me if I keep that up. Weird it's always the last one that gets jacked up. I'll have to phone the inSight technical support team on this one.
You're not getting benched. You're the N'kosi Perry of this site. We can live with the growing pains because you're not only a major upgrade already but your potential is through the roof, lol

Advertisement
Oh absolutely. The InSight gang is doing a round table segment this week. And this is exactly what I reference. You got more tools than the last guy, but the last guy definitely has a feather in the cap that you don't have. Go get that feather.
Captain_Barbossa.jpg

Advertisement
Roman, I am curious to see if we add new wrinkles to this offense.

Anything from last week that you noticed? A little premature likely but something I would love to hear your thoughts about going forward

**** me that’s some good stuff.

Later in the game Perry had that insane run on 3rd and long I believe. He seemed to be shocked he was the only one hyped about it. I felt the same way. Rosier was a **** tough runner but Perry is going to do some major damage on the ground.
Well because he got 13 yards on 3rd and forever, so nobody cared!

Advertisement
Back