From the Perch: UNC (FULL)

Advertisement
Who would've thought we would miss 3 guys that are playing in the NFL. We over inflate our players all the time, we need to be a little more patient and let the young guys get their reps and learn. If they're making the same mistakes in week 5 that they're making now we may have a much larger problem.

Advertisement
No answer for that Lu. Ultimately when I watched back I was happier with what I saw from the offensive standpoint which only made me more upset that we lost. Couple inches come to mind. Jarren tripping up short of a first down by inches, the inches the unc wr scored by in terms of his feet remaining in bounds, and the inches between blake baker's head thinking that was a defense he should call on 4th and 17.
Baker appears out of his league. Looks like a first time DC. When they are going, you have to call a TO.

We ran multiple unnecessary DB blitzes from boundary against UF. It was easily there for UNC's OL coach and OL coordinator to see. It's my Safety review thread from last week. I think I even write in "Hate this!" in the notes. Sure, we did it with a corner last week, but it's a clear tendency. I know someone will say "the two DBs bracketing still got lost in their drop." Fine. But the blitz was unnecessary to begin with. I'm so **** frustrated right now.

Exactly this! There was a 3rd and 15 last night in the Pats v. Steelers game. And patriots came out with 6 guys on the line of scrimmage there was no way they were letting Ben have enough time to scan the field and get that throw off without being underdress. I’m all for sending the heat in those spots. But we gotta retire these slow developing blitz. I know it’s crazy to expect a coach to suddenly go against what got them there. But how much film do we need on those exact situations to show it doesn’t work?

What exactly is 20 defending? There is no receiver in the middle of the field. Read the qbs eyes and get over the top. Our safeties have no instincts and are slow....smh

Advertisement
Exactly this! There was a 3rd and 15 last night in the Pats v. Steelers game. And patriots came out with 6 guys on the line of scrimmage there was no way they were letting Ben have enough time to scan the field and get that throw off without being underdress. I’m all for sending the heat in those spots. But we gotta retire these slow developing blitz. I know it’s crazy to expect a coach to suddenly go against what got them there. But how much film do we need on those exact situations to show it doesn’t work?
Multiple ways to defend 3/4th and 17. We picked the absolute worst.
A3A955CC-4FCC-4EB2-B40C-E7E2035AF7DA.jpeg

People that are ready to punt on the season were expecting way too much from this team, those are the posters that thought Miami could go to Charlotte and hang with Clemson. We are very much alive in the coastal and that’s what matters rn. The winner of this division probably will have 3-4 losses, we need to use the next two cupcake games as a fine tune and moral booster and get back on track. This team is flawed and it won’t go to the CFP in the next couple of years, but we need to start building something.

Enos needs to hit the ground running, get the offense in rhythm early, run the ******* ball. Don’t go away from Brevin, feed him 10 times a game. Screen game to Dallas and Harris, make DBs tackle those monsters.

Manny needs to figure this defense out, plain and simple. Make it easy for the DBs, no more busted coverage and get a DL rotation that can overwhelm weaker OLs

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP LOOSING TO BASKETBALL SCHOOLS.

Offense

The offense started really slow and once again we couldn’t get in the endzone when we got there. That being said I saw improvement in all areas of that offense, not only from last game to saturday, but from the 1st qtr on. Enos 1st qtr play-calling was dreadful, so many plays went wrong because he would call something that the players simply couldn’t execute. After that he got into rhythm and the offense found a groove. It’s far from perfect right now, but we knew we would be a season long process with this offense

Williams played well, and I think we found our QB1. People complaining about his lack of deep ball didn’t paid attention to the practices reports in the summer/spring, that was said over and over again, the deep ball isn’t his forte. I do think he can develop a better feel for that, at this level, once he can master the other parts of being a QB and the offense is fully installed. Very impressed with his poise, I remember that the last couple of years every time a QB would throw the ball I would expect disaster to happen, not anymore. The two negatives were the underthrow to Harley on the deep pass and he inability to convert on the 4TH&1, you gotta convert there, you can’t get off the field because a shoestring tackle.

Wide receivers: The players are settling into their roles, Osborn is the reliable chain mover, Harley is the 3rd option and JT4 is in a weird place right now, but it will get sorted out, that drop was ugly and once again he can’t make the elite play in the endzone. Hightower yuck, Pope and Wiggins nonfactors atm

TE: can we give ALL of the Mallory targets to Brevin? Brevin continues to produce and Mallory is 50/50 at this point, great catch for the TD and a ugly drop on the 2pt conversion. Ugh

OL: Unreliable as it’s to be expected starting 2 true fr and another 2 players on their second year playing. Some great drives, others not so much.

Defense

Ugly. Just ******* ugly. For the second game in a row an offense goes up and down the field and the pass rush is non-existent, but this time We didn’t have Franks gift wrapping Turnovers for us, so the game was 17-3 before we could really know wtf was going on. It felt like they could go to the outside whenever they needed and could come up with something. For a defense so hyped to give up a TD and 2pt conversion in that situation was brutal.

Manny’s defense is good to make average QBs look like Heisman candidates a few times a season too.

Advertisement
Similar. Not the same.

If it Ain't Broke don't try to change it. We had a top 10 Defense in the last 2 years with what Manny had implemented, he needs to make changes quickly with this Defense, the back 7 are not playing like they understand it completely, makes them hesitate, play slower, thinking while they should be in place.

The Front 4 should have dominated NC with penetration all game, this is not the Same Defense, Manny fix this S... before we loose our 2020 defensive class!!!!

1. This is not the same Defensive Scheme that we have been playing for the past 3 years.

2. You can not convince me that we can't get better penetration from our DLine and Pass Rush!!!
Simply this is not the same as Diaz Defensive Scheme, this is reactionary Defensive Scheme instead of Diaz's Creating Havoc Scheme.

3. Gurvan Hall is a better football player than what has been shown so far, they do not understand their Assignments and are thinking to much and causing them to play slower than needed!.

I hope Diaz gets in his Defensive Coaches **** and gets this fix quickly and savage the season, because if not we will loose that good 2020 Defensive class!!!! Friends or no Friends this is Business, Blake ain't getting it done.

Advertisement
Our cb’s got burned several times.
Maybe they were respecting their run game too much.
Just looked on you tube Sam Howell vs Miami.
The 4th and 17 was so disappointing.
He literally stared down the receiver and stepped into the throw like 3 times. He totally telegraphed the play and the db’s didn’t respond at all.
Several times in the game he hit receivers for long gains. Our receivers were never as open as theirs were and that’s concerning for our db’s as well as our receivers.

I hope Bubba Bolden is an upgrade on the backend once he steps on the field. Our guys just haven’t been cutting it.

From your finger tips to gods ears. The guys we have back there have been BAD. I am shocked at how disappointing Gurvan Hall has been. Still hoping he can turn it around but hes looking like another Greentree all american at this point.

Advertisement
Back