From the Perch: Toledo

dude beat toledo

stfu
You’re so good at identifying sarcasm.
giphy.gif

Advertisement
This is a great write-up but I feel like it gives false hope to the fan base. Roman, you're smart enough to know, as well as every other cane fan that suffer through the D'Onofrio years, that Zone defense where the defensive backfield is lined up 7 + yards off the line of scrimmage is Easy Pickins for even below average quarterbacks. Malik has yet to perform when teams get physical with our wide receivers and throw off the timing of our routes.
until then. hes flash in the pan. lets not act like hes made some drastic improvements.

were just lucky that Toledo ignored the game plan our last 4 opponents,employed.

Love ya @romancane, but just fair warning I'm going to disagree a bit on the Mallory play in my film review, who I believe was wide open immediately and Rosier had his eyes down on the defender rather than making the easy throw to Mallory right away (who was the first read).

Otherwise, you killed it as usual. You're really good at this stuff.
agreed.

rosier threw a bullet to the back shoulder of a man running full speed to the sideline and he was open right out of the bootleg

Advertisement
This is a great write-up but I feel like it gives false hope to the fan base. Roman, you're smart enough to know, as well as every other cane fan that suffer through the D'Onofrio years, that Zone defense where the defensive backfield is lined up 7 + yards off the line of scrimmage is Easy Pickins for even below average quarterbacks. Malik has yet to perform when teams get physical with our wide receivers and throw off the timing of our routes.
until then. hes flash in the pan. lets not act like hes made some drastic improvements.

were just lucky that Toledo ignored the game plan our last 4 opponents,employed.
Hes trash period

Advertisement

I am going to just look at it game by game on its own two feet. That is all this piece is intended to do. But so you know, one thing Malik has taught me over the course of 17 games as a starter? He is consistent about being inconsistent.

IMO this staff has done better through out the years vs man press coverage. Actually vs LSU two picks came vs db/blitzes with zones underneath. Malik best balls came vs Cager. In one of the clips that db blanketed Cager about as close as you can be in man press coverage. Malik beat it was just a perfectly thrown ball.

Not giving hope. Just want to be clear that if Miami has ANY chance of succeeding in big games going forward, flashes of what Rosier did vs Toledo need to become common place. Until then I will remain cautiously cautious.

Did you notice there were no throws over the middle the entire game? Thats the big concern for me. How is that even possible?

The last time I remember Rosier completing an intermediate pass over the middle of the field was on the final drive vs FSU last season. He hit Berrios to keep the drive alive.

Seems like he hasn't been able to do anything like that ever since.

The last time I remember Rosier completing an intermediate pass over the middle of the field was on the final drive vs FSU last season. He hit Berrios to keep the drive alive.

Seems like he hasn't been able to do anything like that ever since.

He can’t throw quick over the middle. Period. If and when he does, it’s on longer drops or roll outs, or some kind of misdirection. His vision, release point, and anticipation simply won’t allow him that quick slant or short crosser type option on a short drop.

Get past it, it’s not changing, not an option.

Advertisement
I am going to just look at it game by game on its own two feet. That is all this piece is intended to do. But so you know, one thing Malik has taught me over the course of 17 games as a starter? He is consistent about being inconsistent.

IMO this staff has done better through out the years vs man press coverage. Actually vs LSU two picks came vs db/blitzes with zones underneath. Malik best balls came vs Cager. In one of the clips that db blanketed Cager about as close as you can be in man press coverage. Malik beat it was just a perfectly thrown ball.

Not giving hope. Just want to be clear that if Miami has ANY chance of succeeding in big games going forward, flashes of what Rosier did vs Toledo need to become common place. Until then I will remain cautiously cautious.
And I agree Overall with your points in the breakdown. Malik did look good and performed very well on 3rd down and in general moving the ball in the second half of the game. With that being said there still was plays he left out there for sure and when you have a receiver like Thomas there always will be.
Watch this video, the pass langham had got early on in the game for a first down play could have been a much bigger play if he saw Thomas streaking down the right hash of the field. That’s 6 if he hits him

Much respect. thanks for the insight

Appreciate the breakdown, but after like 18 games don't you eventually tire from analyzing/*****ing about Rosier constantly? I know there is a % of people who like to claim stars or recruiting sites dont matter, but in this case they were spot on.

He was a 2-3* average sized kid with an average arm and never that accurate in high school ( think around 53-55%). His offers were from group of 5 schools and as you can see with this Toledo game, that's where he belongs. I'm sure he'd do just fine competing against MAC or C-USA type schedule.

This is his ceiling and its never going to get magically better. It's criminal that 3yrs into this thing Rosier is the best that we can put out there. Every week it's a new excuse as to why the fans can't see what we have in Kosi/Weldon or Jarren. The Pastor is content playing it safe and riding this 7 and 6 figure payday every year for him and his loser son.

Advertisement

@Roman Marciante I appreciate the fact that you break down Mailk's performance through clear glasses and not orange and green ones. You give unbiased observations with meticulous insight and obvious impressive knowledge of the game. I've learned a helluva lot with just the few posts you've shared. Thanks for that and keep up the great work.

Appreciate the breakdown, but after like 18 games don't you eventually tire from analyzing/*****ing about Rosier constantly? I know there is a % of people who like to claim stars or recruiting sites dont matter, but in this case they were spot on.

He was a 2-3* average sized kid with an average arm and never that accurate in high school ( think around 53-55%). His offers were from group of 5 schools and as you can see with this Toledo game, that's where he belongs. I'm sure he'd do just fine competing against MAC or C-USA type schedule.

This is his ceiling and its never going to get magically better. It's criminal that 3yrs into this thing Rosier is the best that we can put out there. Every week it's a new excuse as to why the fans can't see what we have in Kosi/Weldon or Jarren.

See if you just delete that last little rant, this is a good post which has a relevance to this thread.

@Roman Marciante I appreciate the fact that you break down Mailk's performance through clear glasses and not orange and green ones. You give unbiased observations with meticulous insight and obvious impressive knowledge of the game. I've learned a helluva lot with just the few posts you've shared. Thanks for that and keep up the great work.

Thank you bud.i appreciate that.

Advertisement
Back