From the Perch: Toledo

Roman.. I appreciate what you do & I will gladly admit he played better. I won't argue his ground game at all. But man.. Unless I flat out missed them, I didn't see ONE throw over the middle. Not one between the hashes. That is a major issue if he isn't even looking at the middle of the field.
And to the people who think I'm just hating on poor poor Malik, look at Roman's clips above. Not one of them is a throw over the middle.

Also noticed that 5 of his 13 completions were caught at or behind the los. 3 were Thomas deep balls, where Thomas simply outran everyone else (nevermind all the deep shots that fell incomplete).

This was our first offensive play of the game. Thomas wasn't even being covered. Luckily the ball was batted down because Malik wasn't just throwing into double coverage, he was throwing to the ONLY WR being covered on the play.

View attachment 64336

Langham was not double covered on this play. Watch the rest of it. The LB runs to the flat to cover Homer coming out of the backfield leaving 6'4" 240 lb Langham 1v1 with inside position on a post against a much smaller DB.

Langham isn't a burner so I doubt this would go for a score, but this is a nice gain if it isn't batted. It's also the correct read.

Advertisement
Love ya @romancane, but just fair warning I'm going to disagree a bit on the Mallory play in my film review, who I believe was wide open immediately and Rosier had his eyes down on the defender rather than making the easy throw to Mallory right away (who was the first read).

Otherwise, you killed it as usual. You're really good at this stuff.
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

lol. I saw the same thing as Roman, even though I know I share the minority opinion on this. You can see Rosier stop his roll and begin to throw, then stretch it out wider to avoid the rusher and get more room to throw. Maybe the LB could affect the throw, and maybe he couldn't, but what's clear is that when the LB decided to rush the QB, that left nobody else out there to cover Mallory. The other two backers were all the way top of the screen covering the same guy.

Langham was not double covered on this play. Watch the rest of it. The LB runs to the flat to cover Homer coming out of the backfield leaving 6'4" 240 lb Langham 1v1 with inside position on a post against a much smaller DB.

Langham isn't a burner so I doubt this would go for a score, but this is a nice gain if it isn't batted. It's also the correct read.

I know your opinion is not going to change under any circumstance. So I wasn't gonna respond until I read "its also the correct read".
Man.. lol.. he didn't go through his progressions. He locked in on Langham immediately after the snap and never looked at anyone else. Thomas is literally wide open. Not.. He's open if Malik makes the throw. Not.. He's open because a defender fell down. Jeff Thomas, currently our best WR, does not have anyone around him. And as far as what happens with the rest of the play.. notice how there are only 10 defenders in that pic? The 11th is over the top of Langham. He reads Rosier's eyes (since again he NEVER looked at anyone else) and was right there.
I'm not trying to get in a back and forth with ya man. But.. you really don't think that mayyybe Thomas would have been the better target here?

Last edited:
Roman.. I appreciate what you do & I will gladly admit he played better. I won't argue his ground game at all. But man.. Unless I flat out missed them, I didn't see ONE throw over the middle. Not one between the hashes. That is a major issue if he isn't even looking at the middle of the field.
And to the people who think I'm just hating on poor poor Malik, look at Roman's clips above. Not one of them is a throw over the middle.

Also noticed that 5 of his 13 completions were caught at or behind the los. 3 were Thomas deep balls, where Thomas simply outran everyone else (nevermind all the deep shots that fell incomplete).

This was our first offensive play of the game. Thomas wasn't even being covered. Luckily the ball was batted down because Malik wasn't just throwing into double coverage, he was throwing to the ONLY WR being covered on the play.

View attachment 64336

I remember this play. I was going to upload it. He is trying to hit the slant in stride but it was batted down at the LOS. I saw Jeff was open early on the play as well but he never looked in that direction. His read isn't necessarily wrong here. (on the play side) He is trying to throw it behind the LB who is chasing the HB swing.

Now that quick flat by Jeff on the opposite side could be an equalizer for a blitz. Richt offenses tend to build out a blitz read within the confines of the play. (that is why you don't really see many audibles at the LOS) So without knowing the actual play call, and seeing the blitz didn't come I just felt Rosier was more in the right than wrong here.

Have to remember too, that there was an very concerted effort by LSU's defenses on cb/nickle blitzes. Miami really struggled on those week one. That quick route by Jeff is an absolute steal in those nickle blitzes with his speed. So not seeing the keys for a cb/nickle blitz I don't think that was the "hot side" for the read. Just my opinion. Like I said you need to know the full play call on that one.

I could be wrong. But that was at least my rationale.

He locked in on Langham immediately after the snap and never looked at anyone else.
That's exactly what your supposed to do when your first read has inside position on a single defender who happens to be much smaller. The deep safety is irrelevant if the pass is thrown as soon as Langham breaks to the inside of the CB, which it was.

Too many people see a QB fire at his first read and say "he locked on." What do you expect him to do when his first read is there? Spend 2 or three additional seconds scanning the field and taking a sack because he passed on his #1 option being open?

To me, it looks like Langham is the 1st read and Homer is the 2nd. Can't tell what Thomas is doing on a square out unless he's going to sit at the sideline as a check down.

Advertisement
I remember this play. I was going to upload it. He is trying to hit the slant in stride but it was batted down at the LOS. I saw Jeff was open early on the play as well but he never looked in that direction. His read isn't necessarily wrong here. (on the play side) He is trying to throw it behind the LB who is chasing the HB swing.

Now that quick flat by Jeff on the opposite side could be an equalizer for a blitz. Richt offenses tend to build out a blitz read within the confines of the play. (that is why you don't really see many audibles at the LOS) So without knowing the actual play call, and seeing the blitz didn't come I just felt Rosier was more in the right than wrong here.

Have to remember too, that there was an very concerted effort by LSU's defenses on cb/nickle blitzes. Miami really struggled on those week one. That quick route by Jeff is an absolute steal in those nickle blitzes with his speed. So not seeing the keys for a cb/nickle blitz I don't think that was the "hot side" for the read. Just my opinion. Like I said you need to know the full play call on that one.

Thanks for answering my question about Thomas's role on the play. I wasn't sure what he was doing on that route. Makes sense now.

Love ya @romancane, but just fair warning I'm going to disagree a bit on the Mallory play in my film review, who I believe was wide open immediately and Rosier had his eyes down on the defender rather than making the easy throw to Mallory right away (who was the first read).

Otherwise, you killed it as usual. You're really good at this stuff.

HAHAHA. It's NEVER the quarterbacks fault lance.. (JK its ALWAYS the qb fault) I saw him drop his eyes on the roll out as well. But in this instance man that defender was bearing down hard and it's not uncommon to see quarterbacks drop eyes and adapt to the defenders angle and make a positive play running the ball. Think he got caught in should I run limbo.

Did you notice there were no throws over the middle the entire game? Thats the big concern for me. How is that even possible?

Advertisement
Did you notice there were no throws over the middle the entire game? Thats the big concern for me. How is that even possible?
He's not tall enough to see over the line. Shorter QBs need two things to be successful using the middle of the field: An O-line that can open passing lanes (ours can't); and excellent timing and anticipation (he doesn't have it).

Could it be possibly that Rosier plays better with a chip on his shoulder and needs the negative energy to engage? I really don't know that answer. But the Hurricanes need this version of Rosier more than most. Conference ball is right around the corner.

You're welcome, everyone. Especially Malik.
1-im-here-25n7oc.jpg

Great stuff. You get inside this real deep. I’m just a surface type myself. For me, Rosier is DT QB who runs better than he throws but is not homerun type runner. He is though kid who can band has taken pounding with not much negative impact. Coaches need to be ready for when teams load up the box against run, including his. That is when we need pass plays he can throw to the open places. We need to assume 50% or less and plan accordingly.

Been the MO since basically Malik's second drive after Richt got here. They tried throwing over the middle a couple of times and it was not good.

I think opposing coordinators may have picked up on this little trend as well. There's no doubt it significantly limits the offense.

Advertisement
Roman, question for you based on the first three games you've analyzed - are teams making a larger effort to take away the bubble throws to the WRs (playing man on the outside, playing press coverage, or making sure we don't have them outnumbered), or are we just not going to them as much? It felt like in the last couple years prior to this year, we had taken those bubble throws at any time we had multiple WRs to one side and the defense didn't have numbers (were playing zone) or had their CBs in off coverage, but this year, it doesn't seem like we've done that nearly as much (I think the 2 you picked may have been the only ones we threw against Toledo).

Not that they're my favorite play or the most exciting play, but there have been several times this year when we've lined up and I thought the throw was there for a few easy yards, and our QBs (mostly Malik obviously) haven't taken the throw.

I have seen where teams have absolutely tried to leverage out the bubble with the # 2 defender. That "space" is what the QB in this system is reading. This is a pre-snap read based on the evidence of how quickly the ball comes out and how everything going on with the defense post snap is irrelevant for the qb's decision to throw the bubble.

I think it is a little bit of both to be honest. Defenses will try to take away the pre-snap space for the bubble. And we seem a lot less RPO heavy early on this year. That bubble was usually an IZ/Bubble RPO variety. You need the call first and foremost. Sometimes the defense "might" be giving us the space to run the bubble but if a different play call is in play the we "might" miss the opportunity. Then again what was the result of the play call that was called. That is an actual better indicator.

What isn't debatable is that we have a propensity to throw that ball back to the LOS when it needs to be thrown slightly up field. Looking back at my notes we Had 3 bubbles. 2 had Harley spinning around like a top. I would LOVE for this offense to push out the 2 into stacks or **** well close. That way you throw it more like a hitch rather than an elongated swing pass.

Those bubbles believe it or not are not the easiest throws to make even though it is very close to you yards wise. I would rather throw a wide side comeback than that. That is just a personal opinion. Personally I would get into this funk where I would aim those instead of letting it loose. But if my coach said throw a hitch on the outside. I got you coach. Easy peesy.

Great stuff. You get inside this real deep. I’m just a surface type myself. For me, Rosier is DT QB who runs better than he throws but is not homerun type runner. He is though kid who can band has taken pounding with not much negative impact. Coaches need to be ready for when teams load up the box against run, including his. That is when we need pass plays he can throw to the open places. We need to assume 50% or less and plan accordingly.

For on the surface type. You have a pretty firm understanding.

Advertisement
Been the MO since basically Malik's second drive after Richt got here. They tried throwing over the middle a couple of times and it was not good.

I think opposing coordinators may have picked up on this little trend as well. There's no doubt it significantly limits the offense.

Now there was a completion over the middle (ish) to langham. It was on a crossing route. Had some crossers with Jeff this season. Brevin ran a pa cross that was incomplete on 3rd down. But where I am dumb founded is that I can not recall ever running a "mesh concept" it is basically a middle of the field rub route that was MADE to beat man coverage. (It is good in Zone too, I like the corner over the top variety)

Had a talk with a buddy of mine too. Just food for thought. We talked about crosses and the middle of the field. I think the longer you have been a Miami fan the more you want to see this. Because you just knew how super effective we were on these plays with the athletes we had in the past.

Random thoughts: Oh and....this team is prime to fake bubble/bang 8. **** safeties were crashing the absolute **** out of it. Throw it where they ain't. Think the space teams are giving Jeff can be further exploited. Think we have some big play potential running underneath Jeff with how much respect teams give him. Loved seeing the double dagger concept TD to Jeff in the slot. Kid gets on top of safeties at a ridiculous pace.

That pitchfork concept has been super successful. DeeJay runs the IZ better right now. I wish we blocked the OZ better for Homer. This team would get such and added dimension if they added some quick speed options. Especially the way we hide the run key till late. I think we can really leverage the defense further.

Advertisement
Back