From the Perch: Rhett Lashlee Part 2

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Went back into the lab to furnish another edition of FTP. This one had a very present goal in mind and a particular question I wanted to answer. The recent feedback from the CanesinSight forum collectively posed a question, "Does Miami have a quarterback currently on its roster capable of conducting this offense?" With that being the underlay, I went to work trying to prove the case that we do. This is a very quarterback friendly offense that utilizes many modern spread concepts in order to manufacture success. So sit back, relax, put your feet up, and let's sit together atop this plush perch and see the twenty thousand foot view.

Random take away points and beyond from the SMU vs. Memphis game
  • SMU lost but it certainly had nothing to do with the offense.
  • This system is much easier to operate for a quarterback than its predecessor
  • "Check with me" at the line caught Memphis for big plays and played a pivotal role on many of the successful 3rd down conversions

• "Check with me" took the burden off the quarterback and Lashlee acted in part as the audible making quarterback
  • This offense is not built around continuously throwing tight window throws
  • This offense uses very traditional staple passing concepts that are run in almost all levels of football
  • This offense is not shy about taking the one on one match-up and going vertical
  • This offense fundamentally operates by taking what the defense gives you
  • SMU came in with a game plan to utilize 12 set early on to isolate linebackers then shifted heavily on double moves to catch over aggressive db's
  • The RPO's are so pre snap friendly and simply ask the quarterback to choose the better side or read the leverage
  • Utilizes screens on both side of the field and asks the QB to read the Mike backer flow in order to deliver the ball
  • Have I mentioned in the other one that the SMU quarterback's arm is not overly strong?
  • I believe both N'Kosi Perry and Tate Martell are FAR better running athletes than Buechele (TVD/Motacha as well) and I would also say Jarren's mobility is a notch above
  • So far, SMU really hasn't designed a ton of quarterback runs (QB mobility probably the biggest reason why)
  • Memphis relied heavily on two safeties, once again providing credence they did respect SMU run game (A more mobile quarterback and you have to reconsider this)
  • Saw an RPO utilizing Duo blocking which could be an effective concept here when you consider the 2019 play of the offensive line
  • The SMU quarterback is far from a polished mechanical entity. He has some arm idiosyncrasies that show up from time to time and I believe the footwork under Enos's tutelage showed better on tape with his respective quarterbacks
  • Lashlee was able to design some really nice plays that led to receivers being high school wide open
  • The out stack receiver sets are such an easy read for a quarterback in terms of RPO's
  • The quarterback quick throws on the perimeter are extensions of the run game
  • After two SMU games vs. quality opponents it is clear that holding on to the ball too long is not something that Miami will routinely do
  • The combination of the pre snap read identifiers, tempo, numbers friendly plays, makes throwing the ball quick, not a byproduct of high level quarterback intelligence but rather a system predicated habit through repetition
Watching back this video I do not get the sense this offense will be overly complicating for the quarterbacks. It is more diverse that Mark Richt's but it is not that 54 page quarterback arm band with 1700 formations like Enos's either. It is comfortably in the middle while utilizing something Miami has never really done. It is an uptempo spread offense that still remains multiple.

Part one focused on the newness of the system while using Temple, a common opponent, as the backdrop. Memphis? Adam Fuller is the defensive coordinator that Mike Norvell brought over to FSU and Lashlee had zero issues moving the ball on him. The Memphis defensive line was easily more talented up front in the trenches but routine quarterback pressure was never an issue. Similar to how FIU was able to negate Miami's pressure, so in large parts did SMU negate the Memphis front four by being quick. Once again thank you for the continual support and please remember to subscribe to the YouTube page if you could.

Advertisement
Once fall camp rolls around I firmly believe Coach L will ride with one N'Kosi Perry as his QB!! No ifs. buts or get the F' outta' here with that bogUs crap!!! Simply because Perry is TOUGH-MINDED, and can throw the ball down field, and WON'T BAIL OUT on his teammates!!! And dig this too. As mentioned above, Coach L's offense won't put the eventual QB starter in harms' way because it's slow developing and all that.

So may the best QB win the starting job. No matter who he be. hUh.

Don’t underestimate our QBs ability to not grasp this offense

I beg to disagree. This is a relatively simple offense even for the likes of Mr. Romeo Taters! Albeit I don't envision him starting next season. Sorry Mr. Lady's Man supporter's, apologist's and cheerleader's. hUh.

Advertisement
Went back into the lab to furnish another edition of FTP. This one had a very present goal in mind and a particular question I wanted to answer. The recent feedback from the CanesinSight forum collectively posed a question, "Does Miami have a quarterback currently on its roster capable of conducting this offense?" With that being the underlay, I went to work trying to prove the case that we do. This is a very quarterback friendly offense that utilizes many modern spread concepts in order to manufacture success. So sit back, relax, put your feet up, and let's sit together atop this plush perch and see the twenty thousand foot view.

Random take away points and beyond from the SMU vs. Memphis game
  • SMU lost but it certainly had nothing to do with the offense.
  • This system is much easier to operate for a quarterback than its predecessor
  • "Check with me" at the line caught Memphis for big plays and played a pivotal role on many of the successful 3rd down conversions

• "Check with me" took the burden off the quarterback and Lashlee acted in part as the audible making quarterback
  • This offense is not built around continuously throwing tight window throws
  • This offense uses very traditional staple passing concepts that are run in almost all levels of football
  • This offense is not shy about taking the one on one match-up and going vertical
  • This offense fundamentally operates by taking what the defense gives you
  • SMU came in with a game plan to utilize 12 set early on to isolate linebackers then shifted heavily on double moves to catch over aggressive db's
  • The RPO's are so pre snap friendly and simply ask the quarterback to choose the better side or read the leverage
  • Utilizes screens on both side of the field and asks the QB to read the Mike backer flow in order to deliver the ball
  • Have I mentioned in the other one that the SMU quarterback's arm is not overly strong?
  • I believe both N'Kosi Perry and Tate Martell are FAR better running athletes than Buechele (TVD/Motacha as well) and I would also say Jarren's mobility is a notch above
  • So far, SMU really hasn't designed a ton of quarterback runs (QB mobility probably the biggest reason why)
  • Memphis relied heavily on two safeties, once again providing credence they did respect SMU run game (A more mobile quarterback and you have to reconsider this)
  • Saw an RPO utilizing Duo blocking which could be an effective concept here when you consider the 2019 play of the offensive line
  • The SMU quarterback is far from a polished mechanical entity. He has some arm idiosyncrasies that show up from time to time and I believe the footwork under Enos's tutelage showed better on tape with his respective quarterbacks
  • Lashlee was able to design some really nice plays that led to receivers being high school wide open
  • The out stack receiver sets are such an easy read for a quarterback in terms of RPO's
  • The quarterback quick throws on the perimeter are extensions of the run game
  • After two SMU games vs. quality opponents it is clear that holding on to the ball too long is not something that Miami will routinely do
  • The combination of the pre snap read identifiers, tempo, numbers friendly plays, makes throwing the ball quick, not a byproduct of high level quarterback intelligence but rather a system predicated habit through repetition
Watching back this video I do not get the sense this offense will be overly complicating for the quarterbacks. It is more diverse that Mark Richt's but it is not that 54 page quarterback arm band with 1700 formations like Enos's either. It is comfortably in the middle while utilizing something Miami has never really done. It is an uptempo spread offense that still remains multiple.

Part one focused on the newness of the system while using Temple, a common opponent, as the backdrop. Memphis? Adam Fuller is the defensive coordinator that Mike Norvell brought over to FSU and Lashlee had zero issues moving the ball on him. The Memphis defensive line was easily more talented up front in the trenches but routine quarterback pressure was never an issue. Similar to how FIU was able to negate Miami's pressure, so in large parts did SMU negate the Memphis front four by being quick. Once again thank you for the continual support and please remember to subscribe to the YouTube page if you could.

Accuracy and not arm strength is key to this offense , consistency on the short throws and on deep balls is a must. They’re easy throws but the qb must hit at a good rate to make the offense what it is.

As leach said “ give me accuracy in my o and I can make anyone work”. Tate is a mess passing the ball, inaccurate as ****.Comically bad.

Kosi is a streak shooter, he is what he is.

JW is the best fit but is a hot mess.

Transfer , Matochia or tvd.

Last edited:
Accuracy and arm strength is key to this offense , consistency on the short throws and on deep balls is a must. They’re easy throws but the qb must hit at a good rate to make the offense what it is.

As leach said “ give me accuracy in my o and I can make anyone work”. Tate is a mess passing the ball, inaccurate as ****.Comically bad.

Kosi is a streak shooter, he is what he is.

JW is the best fit but is a hot mess.

Transfer , Matochia or tvd.
If that’s the case then Manny need to declutter that room. No transfer is coming to that crowded room.

Advertisement
I don't think N'Kosi Perry is accurate enough or consistent enough.
I don't think Jarren Williams can make decisions fast enough.
Tate Martell has his head up Kiki's ***.

I suggest watching this offense with Ben Hicks or Bryant Sherriffs/David Pindell running it. It can look much uglier with an ill equipped QB running it.

Buechele is more accurate and 'cooler' than either of our QBs 1-3.

If you want to sell me on Matocha or Van Dyke...cool. I still think we'd need a transfer to really run this thing to get results in year one,.

I don't think N'Kosi Perry is accurate enough or consistent enough.
I don't think Jarren Williams can make decisions fast enough.
Tate Martell has his head up Kiki's ***.

I suggest watching this offense with Ben Hicks or Bryant Sherriffs/David Pindell running it. It can look much uglier with an ill equipped QB running it.

Buechele is more accurate and 'cooler' than either of our QBs 1-3.

If you want to sell me on Matocha or Van Dyke...cool. I still think we'd need a transfer to really run this thing to get results in year one,.

Preach.

A transfer is a must , if matochia or Tvd are good enough then great. But there’s no way we roll into next year with the three stooges.

Preach.

A transfer is a must , if matochia or Tvd are good enough then great. But there’s no way we roll into next year with the three stooges.
i get it but outside of Newman (he’s not coming) and maybe Costello (doesn’t fit the scheme) Manny is better off with he qb’s on the roster.

Advertisement
Mostly just watched clips in the past and read bullet points in the past, but the videos are quality. Great stuff!

i get it but outside of Newman (he’s not coming) and maybe Costello (doesn’t fit the scheme) Manny is better off with he qb’s on the roster.

No he’s not. Bc kid would be an upgrade , there’s still better guys out there. We have straight up idiots in the qb room. Manny isn’t rolling into a do or die year with any of those three. And if he does it’ll be his last year.

Advertisement
Once fall camp rolls around I firmly believe Coach L will ride with one N'Kosi Perry as his QB!! No ifs. buts or get the F' outta' here with that bogUs crap!!! Simply because Perry is TOUGH-MINDED, and can throw the ball down field, and WON'T BAIL OUT on his teammates!!! And dig this too. As mentioned above, Coach L's offense won't put the eventual QB starter in harms' way because it's slow developing and all that.

So may the best QB win the starting job. No matter who he be. hUh.
At the end of the day, I want to win and it looks like we can trust Coach L, so if he picks Kosi and switches from him if it's not working out, then I'm all good. I think Manny feels at minimum, disappointed in the current QB's and will secretly be pulling for TVD.

i gotta ask... what was the perches thoughts on the enos hire?

If you gotta ask...I think you already know the answer.

Sorry, Roman. :/

i gotta ask... what was the perches thoughts on the enos hire?
In the effort of full transparency (Here is an excerpt from the Enos FTP)

After having such a firm handle on Richt's offense the past three years and begrudgingly knowing what play was going to be called based off down and distance, I simply cannot get a full read on Enos yet. I watch film to find tendencies, and yes their are some, but it is nowhere near what I grew accustomed to. It seems like there was new formations, shifts, looks and plays that stood autonomous from week to week. I would say out of the 50 or so clips I posted online tonight, they all had their own story. This playbook has to be immense. Miami players on the offensive side of the ball need to start studying now. You have been warned.

It is a pro offense. I don't think you really can classify this in any shape or form as a tempo driven speed and space them out spread. It is a multiple formation driven offense that throws a lot at you and creates mental confusion for a defense with a variety of looks. Kansas City Chief like would be a good NFL comparison. But I want to focus on the tempo for a moment. While at Arkansas Enos was the 79th 55th and 110th ranked offense in terms of plays run. If there is one thing I wish he would incorporate from his time at Alabama, their tempo. Alabama ranked 10th last year in plays run. The Tide set offensive records.

And speaking of Alabama, when I transitioned my focus on Jalen Hurts and the dynamic of Enos his quarterback coach something emerged for me. If you backed up the quarterback into the shotgun, they ran a number of plays that Enos ran at Arkansas. You could tell that although he wasn't the play caller, his fingerprint was on that offense. It was clear as day. That had to be a primary reason why Saban promoted him to OC after Mike Locksley left for Maryland. Besides being able to be a great developer of quarterbacks, his influence on the offense couldn't be ignored.

Miami has a real creative force with its offensive coordinator these days. I honestly expect to see some brilliantly designed plays from week to week. There will be his core values sure. He primarily runs from a power blocking scheme and expects perfection from his quarterbacks but this offense will work here. Is the Arkansas offense exactly the offense I envisioned Miami moving to? No. But can it be super effective? Absolutely. Would I prefer a more tempo driven, post snap RPO version that Alabama ran with him as quarterback coach? Yes.

Simply because in my opinion, an Enos offense would be lethal if it operated with a bit more tempo. Last year's Bama team proved it. Defenses would not only become mentally fatigued here, they would physically melt from the pressure of this offense on a hot South Florida afternoon. Obviously you want to be game plan specific, but the year Arkansas ranked 110th in plays ran under Enos? It went 4-8. There was a lot of factors that went into that other than just tempo mind you, but this is just my initial more than likely over reaction.

Ultimately I think Miami will improve greatly on offense next year. The two tight ends, Deejay Dallas, a play making wide receiver and the quarterbacks are going to be the initial benefactors simply because they will be in positions that they haven't been in before. They will be in better position to make plays. That is because the OC actually takes the time to design the plays for them to succeed. This isn't simply an offense that relies 100% on execution any more. It is an offense that sees the bigger picture. It is an offense that provides the advantage and does not line up disadvantaged by 30 year faults.

In looking at games I do not have Romans ability to dissect plays as he does. My curiosity is how is Lashlee any different than what Enos designed. Perhaps if Roman showed some of the horrible calls by Enos it would be encouraging. Now as a novice I do recognize the dumbest plays Enos called, especially in the red zone or 3rd and short. Too many plays took to long to develop and our tempo was horrible but the general plays to a novice like myself are not obvious. Also our two minute drives were 2 hour drills.

Thank you Roman I look forward to your posts,

Advertisement
Back