From the Perch: Rhett Lashlee Part 2

If you gotta ask...I think you already know the answer.

Sorry, Roman. :/

No need to be sorry. I never faulted Manny with that initial hire. Coming from a Mark Richt vanilla offense, it was a breath of fresh air. I liked a ton of what he did in that review, still had concerns with tempo and I knew it wasn't my spread variety that I wanted. But ultimately I was really happy that Richt and his 10 plays were getting replaced. Problem was ENos still called plays like he was at arkansas with an alabama line.....

Advertisement
Accuracy and not arm strength is key to this offense , consistency on the short throws and on deep balls is a must. They’re easy throws but the qb must hit at a good rate to make the offense what it is.

As leach said “ give me accuracy in my o and I can make anyone work”. Tate is a mess passing the ball, inaccurate as ****.Comically bad.

Kosi is a streak shooter, he is what he is.

JW is the best fit but is a hot mess.

Transfer , Matochia or tvd.
give me the Texan

Do you believe Lash will get us to an average of 30 points a game against P5?

In looking at games I do not have Romans ability to dissect plays as he does. My curiosity is how is Lashlee any different than what Enos designed. Perhaps if Roman showed some of the horrible calls by Enos it would be encouraging. Now as a novice I do recognize the dumbest plays Enos called, especially in the red zone or 3rd and short. Too many plays took to long to develop and our tempo was horrible but the general plays to a novice like myself are not obvious. Also our two minute drives were 2 hour drills.

Thank you Roman I look forward to your posts,

I showed plenty of horrible calls by Enos. :)

Advertisement
Awesome work Roman.

ALL QB's look great in the Air Raid. The concepts are simple (have you seen Leach's postie note playbook) yet break records wherever they go.

No need to be sorry. I never faulted Manny with that initial hire. Coming from a Mark Richt vanilla offense, it was a breath of fresh air. I liked a ton of what he did in that review, still had concerns with tempo and I knew it wasn't my spread variety that I wanted. But ultimately I was really happy that Richt and his 10 plays were getting replaced. Problem was ENos still called plays like he was at arkansas with an alabama line.....

Since we're comparing OCs, and not to kick this particular beehive, but how does Lashlee's offense compare with that of, say, Kendall Briles?

Since we're comparing OCs, and not to kick this particular beehive, but how does Lashlee's offense compare with that of, say, Kendall Briles?

Great Question. They do similar things. Both seem to have good feel, stay very aggressive. I honestly think Lashlee is a little more multi-formational. The wide receiver splits are wider in the Briles system. Briles more of an 11 set guy where Lashlee was a ton 12 set vs Memphis. So I think Lashlee is more apt to use personnel groupings than Briles. Running the ball the tackles will pull more with Briles and Briles has been both zone at FAU and more man heavy at Baylor. I honestly am still getting more of a feel of Lashlee in the run game. (I did like the DUO block I caught on film this week) Obviously Briles has run some veer elements with more running quarterbacks. Lashlee isn't doing it this much with his qb at SMU but he won't be a stranger to it from his Auburn days.

Just literally thought in my head and typed the first things that came out. Hahaha.

Ok I am back from my mental trip. I really appreciate the multiplicative approach Lashlee throws at you. He is a tempo guy but it isn't just the same look formation-ally. He will try to trip you up mentally by doing so and he can get super creative with play designs when he has the chance to. I always said I loved Briles from his Baylor days but If I were to ever construct my own offense it would be uptempo with even more looks. Lashlee? He fits that bill

Advertisement
Am I the only one that remembers a time we all hated "check with me"?

Yes. With Coley. But here is the difference. Coley did it with very little tempo and habitually. I did not like the cat an mouse with it. I specifically remember in the bowl game that we lost to South Carolina, they were purposefully showing presnap looks and then completely changing up the look after the check with me. Lashlee isn't doing it constantly. The tempo is the driving force and there is times on tape I see if the original look is there, in a split second the players look and they are redirected to run the play. No real time for teams to constantly play cat and mouse and change their coverage that way.

I would say when the primary focus is to constantly check with me with no tempo it tends to be counter-intuitive.
When the primary focus is tempo and you use check with me in lieu of audible? It can be super effective.

My formula has always been to take what the defense gives you. Checking with me needs to have a purpose that gives the offense the advantage. If it doesn't (coley) then don't bother.

If our offense improves but the defense regresses, Diaz should be axed. (More so than currently)

Advertisement
Or make accurate throws. Got tired of seeing our WRs and TE running wide open and either missing a throw or not seeing it.

ACC rankings
Jarren Williams 61.2 (#7)
Sam Howell 61.4 (#6)
Trevor Lawrence 67.6 (#1)
(N'Kosi Perry 53.5)

All the starting ACC quarterbacks were within earshot of each other. (Kosi started less games than Jarren and I didn't put him in that category)

Was their misses on the year? Of course there was. I never wavered that Jarren was much more accurate with the football. I think statistically he proved it. This new system is much more quarterback friendly. If we can operate around 65% I will be extremely happy and I don't think that will be impossible to achieve moving forward.

ACC rankings
Jarren Williams 61.2 (#7)
Sam Howell 61.4 (#6)
Trevor Lawrence 67.6 (#1)
(N'Kosi Perry 53.5)

All the starting ACC quarterbacks were within earshot of each other. (Kosi started less games than Jarren and I didn't put him in that category)

Was their misses on the year? Of course there was. I never wavered that Jarren was much more accurate with the football. I think statistically he proved it. This new system is much more quarterback friendly. If we can operate around 65% I will be extremely happy and I don't think that will be impossible to achieve moving forward.
I know this is just a guess, but based on film of TVD, do you think he has a very good chance to start as a true frosh in this system?

Advertisement
I am a big fan of his and let's just say if he wins the job I will not even remotely be shocked by it.
Well, if he does and performs well, we could have a real special run in 2021 when T-Law is no longer with Clemson. Hey, a guy can dream, right??

Advertisement
Back