From the Perch: LSU

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Every week, InSight is committed to bringing you film breakdown and commentary from the week before. From the Perch is a quarterback's perspective on what was seen and maybe unseen. We have highlights and low lights as we show some quick video clips (click click). And we definitely picked a great week to start the series (sarcasm font). To put it mildly, Malik Rosier was not up to par in his 2018 opening night. Rosier was 15/35 (42.9%) for 259 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.

In this current four game losing streak dating back to last year, Rosier has had completion % totals of 41, 48, 42, and 42. Rosier's accuracy has been a hot topic and here you see an example of inaccuracy even through completion. Recently, I was asked about my expectations for Rosier on the InSight round table and I did not pull punches. I wanted to see Rosier not limit after the catch potential. Now, this isn't a throw where Jeff Thomas can run to daylight, but the premise is the same. Rosier often limits his wide receiver's ability with poorly placed balls.

In football, it is a lot more efficient to leave the acrobatics for the gymnasts. Thomas gets a gold medal for body contortion. Note that Rosier has time and a relatively clean pocket. This is when quarterbacks should be the most accurate when delivering the football; however this is not the case here.

Momentum was completely in LSU's favor and the tide forever shifted after Rosier's first interception. A costly pick six that had a reverse haunting resemblance to Trajan Bandy's pick six a year ago vs Notre Dame. Both, if you recall, were on slant routes. Miami lines up in a 3x1 set with the trips set to the field side. This is 11 set personnel with Brevin Jordan in at Y. The route combo trips side is a Z stop by Cager, slot slant by Thomas, and a Y drag by Jordan.

Of note, there is a boundary corner blitz that is not picked up here by Rosier (I do not think it affected the play for his read goes field side first). I thought throughout the game, LSU had some really timely blitzes as you will see later on in this breakdown. The ball is tipped, but essentially Richt alluded that it was not the right read and wouldn't have mattered in his post game press conference. I agree on all counts.

The Linebacker drops perfectly here for the pick. Rosier does not see the drop defender and that is all the recipe you need for a defensive house call. The right read here is the Z stop by Cager at the top of the screen. Cager has enough cushion underneath the #1 DB. However, one thing I do not like from a tactical standpoint is how the #2 DB is able to leverage both the Z and slot receivers from his pre-snap positioning. If the Canes would adopt a more spread friendly premise, you could push Cager just outside the numbers and it would create more spacial conflict for the defenders.

Ultimately, some offensive coordinators like to keep the whole route tree open, but from a widened split, the X/Z receiver can simplify the reads for a QB. Many teams have adopted wider receiver splits. It also helps identify blitzers better. At this point, does it hurt to try simplifying reads for Rosier?

Rosier's second interception is in fact a time LSU's defensive coordinator Dave Aranda brought a perfectly timed blitz that caused havoc. This nickel corner blitz comes as Miami left tackle Tyree St Louis struggles to kick out on a speedy defender. Ultimately, the nickel crashes into Rosier causing him to throw an errant pass, which is picked off. Now, the first instinct is to blame St. Louis, and by no means is he off the hook here. But, **** that blitz was so perfectly timed and that was a hard reach for the LT to make.

Miami needs to vary their silent snap cadence like yesterday. It is too easy to rhythmically maneuver against. Ultimately, if Rosier was able to catch this pre-snap, a slight adjusted hot read to Mike Harley in the slot would have been the easy pitch and catch. Harley is actually trying to signal Rosier that the blitz is coming, but once again, Rosier does not see it. Also note that LSU is looking to be in a two deep shell; however, the safety aligning directly over the top of Harley tips off that a blitz is coming. It does. LSU jumps into man and the rest is a wrap.

Here is an example of a quarterback predetermined. I understand Thomas is the fastest man on the field, but so does everyone else. This is a mirrored post/wheel concept that Thomas drives on the wheel from the slot. Rosier essentially stares at Thomas the whole way and you note the safety is crashing in exceptionally hot on the play. Also, you note that the primary DB in man coverage actually out leveraged Thomas here. This is more lucky than good. The DB inexplicably gets lost and the safety ultimately factors.

In this instance of a post wheel combo, I would like to see a quarterback/wide receiver combo throttle that wheel into a stop if the DB was out-leveraging you by that margin. Why force it down field when they aren't letting you do so? There was no underneath route competing on this mirrored concept and I think it's the safer and more efficient play. That would involve two players being on the same page.

And, finally, we will end on an Mark Richt staple. All verticals. This is actually good quarterbacking from start to finish. And unlike the last play where Rosier is simply staring down his receiver like a kid stares at his first nude centerfold, Rosier actually opens up eyes to center. This keeps the safety in the middle of the field like a good boy and he delivers a perfectly thrown ball to Brian Hightower.

This is a 50/50 ball and it takes Rosier to have a clean pocket, good blocking, and a perfectly thrown ball to be efficient. This is where Richt needs look into the mirror and realize how many times we have seen this concept run. LSU has it well covered. I'd make the case they expected the play call. Ultimately the reality is this: Malik Rosier is not a good enough quarterback in my opinion to make Mark Richt look good as a play caller. Inversely, Mark Richt is not a good enough play caller to make Malik Rosier look good as a quarterback.

Miami bounces back next week and wins resoundingly, but ultimately this is the blue print. Until there is a change at quarterback or a philosophical movement from the offensive coordinator, nothing will change vs. higher echelon defensive teams. The next few games provide no real barometer for progress considering the competition. Please be on the look out for my partner in crime Lance (Vision) with his upcoming full LSU game breakdown. They are legendary. X's and O's, yeah we got you covered.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Me and the guy next to me at the game, kept calling the corner back blititz , **** they literally tipped most of them off, Malik picked 0 of them up!! Mark made 0 adjustments !!

Great perspective. But the most important thing you said in that write up... until there’s a change at Quarterback, nothing will change. Mark Richt is the safest Coach out there it’s no wonder why he hasn’t won a chip yet. If he doesn’t transition to Perry, Weldon, or Williams full time by Toledo then it’s obvious he’s not trying to win anymore. The WHOLE world can see that Rosier is just not meant to play football. In fact, rosier should be an upstanding guy and step down.

Advertisement
Every Week InSight is committed to bringing you film breakdown and commentary from the week before. From the Perch is a quarterback's perspective on what was seen and maybe unseen. We have highlights and low lights as we show some quick video clips (click click) And we definitely picked a great week to start the series. (sarcasm font) To put it mildly, Malik Rosier was not up to par in his 2018 opening night. Rosier was 15/35 42.9% 259 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.

In this current four game losing streak dating back to last year, Rosier has had completion totals of 41, 48, 42 and 42. Rosier's accuracy has been a hot topic and here you see an example of inaccuracy even through completion. Recently I was asked about my expectations for Rosier on the InSight round table and I did not pull punches. I wanted to see Rosier not limit after the catch potential. Now this isn't a throw where Jeff Thomas can run to daylight but the premise is the same. Rosier often limits his wide receiver's ability with poorly placed balls.

In football it is a lot more efficient to leave the acrobatics for the gymnasts. Thomas gets a gold medal for body contortion. Note that Rosier has time and a relatively clean pocket. This is when quarterbacks should be the most accurate when delivering the football. This is not the case.

Momentum was completely in LSU's favor and the tide forever shifted after Rosier's first interception. A costly pick six that had a reverse haunting resemblance to Trajan Bandy's pick six a year ago vs Notre Dame. Both if you recall were on slant routes. Miami lines up in a 3x1 set with the trips set to the field side. This is 11 set personnel with Brevin Jordan in at Y. The route combo trips side is a Z stop by Cager, Slot slant by Thomas and a Y drag by Jordan.

Of note, there is a boundary corner blitz that is not picked up here by Rosier. (I do not think it affected the play for his read goes field side first) I thought throughout the game LSU had some really timely blitzes as you will see later on in this breakdown. The ball is tipped but essentially Richt alluded that it was not the right read and wouldn't have mattered in his post game press conference. I agree on all counts.

The Linebacker drops perfectly here for the pick. Rosier does not see the drop defender and that is all the recipe you need for a defensive house call. The right read here is the Z stop by Cager at the top of the screen. Cager has enough cushion underneath the #1 DB. However one thing I do not like from a tactical standpoint is how the #2 DB is able to leverage both the Z and slot receivers from his pre snap positioning. If the Canes would adopt a more spread friendly premise you could push Cager just outside the numbers and it would create more spacial conflict for the defenders.

Ultimately some offensive coordinators like to keep the whole route tree open but from a widened split the X/Z receiver can simplify the reads for a QB. Many teams have adopted wider receiver splits. It also helps identify blitzers better. At this point does it hurt to try simplifying reads for Rosier?

Rosier's second interception is in fact a time LSU's defensive coordinator Dave Aranda brought a perfectly timed blitz that caused havoc. This nickel corner blitz comes as Miami left tackle Tyree St Luis struggles to kick out on a speedy defender. Ultimately the nickel crashes into Rosier causing him to throw an errant pass which is ultimately picked off. Now the first instinct is to blame St Luis and by no means is he off the hook here. But **** that blitz was so perfectly timed and that was a hard reach for the LT to make.

Miami needs to vary their silent snap cadence like yesterday. It is to easy to rhythmically maneuver against. Ultimately if Rosier was able to catch this pre-snap, a slight adjusted hot read to Mike Harley in the slot would have been the easy pitch and catch. Harley is actually trying to signal Rosier that the blitz is coming but once again Rosier does not see it. Also note that LSU is looking to be in a two deep shell however the safety aligning directly over the top of Harley tips off that a blitz is coming. It does. LSU jumps into man and the rest is a wrap.

Here is an example of a quarterback predetermined. I understand Thomas is the fastest man on the field but so does everyone else. This is a mirrored post/wheel concept that Thomas drives on the wheel from the slot. Rosier essentially stares at Thomas the whole way and you note the safety is crashing in exceptionally hot on the play. Also you note that the primary db in man coverage actually out leveraged Thomas here. This is more lucky than good. The db inexplicably gets lost and the safety ultimately factors.

In this instance of a post wheel combo I would like to see a quarterback wide receiver combo throttle that wheel into a stop if the db was out leveraging you by that margin. Why force it down field when they aren't letting you do so? There was no underneath route competing on this mirrored concept and I think it's the safer and more efficient play. That would involve two players being on the same page.

And finally we will end on an Mark Richt staple. All verticals. This is actually good quarterbacking from start to finish. And unlike the last play where Rosier is simply staring down his receiver like a kid stares at his first nude centerfold, Rosier actually opens up eyes to center. This keeps the safety in the middle of the field like a good boy and he delivers a perfectly thrown ball to Brian Hightower.

This is a 50/50 ball and it takes Rosier to have a clean pocket, good blocking, and a perfectly thrown ball to be efficient. This is where Richt needs look into the mirror and realize how many times we have seen this concept run. LSU has it well covered. I'd make the case they expected the play call. Ultimately the reality is this: Malik Rosier is not a good enough quarterback in my opinion to make Mark Richt look good as a play caller. Inversely Mark Richt is not a good enough play caller to make Malik Rosier look good as a quarterback.

Miami bounces back next week and wins resoundingly but ultimately this is the blue print. Until there is a change at quarterback or a philosophical movement from the offensive coordinator, nothing will change vs. higher echelon defensive teams. The next few game provide no real barometer for progress considering the competition. Please be on the look out for my partner in crime Lance (Vision) with his upcoming full game breakdown. They are legendary. X's and O's Yeah we got you covered.

Great post bro, but this was the equilivent of you doing a thorough breakdown of an 84 datson, and why it’s a piece of crap.

I appreciate the effort , but you don’t have to do this anymore. Go make sweet love to your lady, go get a nice meal , watch a good movie or just get a good long nap.

Then do a thread titled “ Malik” .....with the post saying “ is absolute trash “. Then log out.

Your time is far more valuable.

Great post bro, but this was the equilivent of you doing a thorough breakdown of an 84 datson, and why it’s a piece of crap.

I appreciate the effort , but you don’t have to do this anymore. Go make sweet love to your lady, go get a nice meal , watch a good movie or just get a good long nap.

Then do a thread titled “ Malik” .....with the post saying “ is absolute trash “. Then log out.

I appreciate the advice. I can multitask. Those are some good options though.

Advertisement
Malik Rosier is not a good enough quarterback in my opinion to make Mark Richt look good as a play caller. Inversely Mark Richt is not a good enough play caller to make Malik Rosier look good as a quarterback.

Thank you.
There is no play caller alive that can make Rosier good.

Advertisement

Malik Kirby Rosier Freeman

Thanks for the write up. So post write up, come next week what do you recommend to CMR, start Rosier? play the freshman? one QB per quarter? Save a semblance of the season and stick with Rosier?

Thanks for the write up. So post write up, come next week what do you recommend to CMR, start Rosier? play the freshman? one QB per quarter? Save a semblance of the season and stick with Rosier?

I think starting Rosier the next 3 games proves nothing. Vs higher echelon teams you see what the marriage between Richt and Rosier gives you. Less than 50% accuracy in the four straight losses. On a podcast with D$ he asked me point blank. Do you think Rosier remains the starter at the end of the year. I firmly said no. It was based on the fact that their was too many rigid parts at play.

I didn't see or hear anything in the off season that said the offense had a complete overhaul. Yesterday's game kind of confirmed the obvious. But Rosier isn't the refined accurate passer needed to operate this offense. And I am not impressed with his field reading abilities on the whole.

You MUST get some other quarterbacks looks this year. You simply have to see how they respond when the bullets fly. You might have a gamer in the midst, you might not. But cue Yoda. Do or do not, there is no try.

Advertisement
Back