From the Perch: Louisville

View as article
Agreed, BUT the way Jarren and his WRs (Harley and Wiggins) we’re executing it was as good as it could get. That’s why I said it reminded me of last year’s Bama cause it looked like I was watching Tua throw to Juedy. Still blown away watching Wiggins run by that DB so fast that he lost sight of him. The route running has been executed at a high level too.
Glorious 🙌

Advertisement
Some of that record-setting was due to us running the same RPO slant and Louisville for whatever reason refusing to adjust to it. Kudos to Enos for sticking with it but **** how many times can you get burned on the same play?

Louisville seemed to be focused on stopping the run.

We broke some, but it was tough sledding running the ball much of the game.

It is ok though. We made them pay big time for trying to force us to be one dimensional.

That’s why I keep insisting on committing to the inside run game. Yeah they will get some stops, but it always the line to take the fight to the defense and keep an aggressive mentality.

Eventually we will break one like Cam did. Right up the middle, then to the sideline for more yardage. Those runs and that commitment opens up the rpo/ playaction game and you say the result. 50 points on a p5 team.

That long TD to Atwell was completely on Gilbert.

We are in man. You can see Bandy and Ivey staying with the #1s and Shaq chasing the RB. Gilbert starts to pick up Atwell
View attachment 101758

Gilbert should have stayed with Atwell but left him open to chase the #2 coming from the field side leaving Atwell wide open
View attachment 101759

This where Gil knew he f’ed up. Everyone is attached or focused on their man. Gil stops and his eyes immediately went to Atwell because he knows that was his man...
View attachment 101760

I need this staff to watch the 2005 Miami vs VT (Marcus Vick) game - and work on passing off routes. Rep that over and over against teams like UL who like to mesh to create confusion, it becomes really simple to execute, then just eat their faces.

We have given up several huge plays this year against these simple play designs.

Advertisement
I have a love/ hate relationship with the 2x2 tight mesh pick plays (or rub routes if they do not get caught).
Being more of a defensive guy I wish they called the offense for the pick plays.
When we run it though we can be very effective and I hope they do not call it.
Seems like people here love the air raid and OU type offenses and they seem to run that play as a base offensive staple more than anything which I think becomes a bit boring. I am glad we mix it in and run other multiple formations.

I like Pistol and it can come in handy beating these inferior teams that like to stack the box. Hope it continues for the rest of the year.

Also the Two HBs in the Backfield formation with the RPOs is something many of us have been clamoring for for months now. We can see much more out of similar formations with the two tailbacks like Bama used in the OBC last Winter to great success. The Backs can go in motion and be used as WRs and decoys in motion to open up misdirection eventually.

Put Brevin in the slot on those 20 personnel plays and boy oh boy.

It’s basically I formation but with all types of options for explosive pass plays.

Add in some screens and play action and it will be **** to stop.

Has the potential to be our most explosive personnel grouping.

Advertisement
Back