From the Perch: Florida

Advertisement
I'm no fan of overusing the RPO. Especially to the WR screen. But, damnit if it wasn't an advantage this game against Gator CBs who really didn't want any part of contact. I don't believe this early toss to Osborne was ever attempted again.

According to CIS we should only run screens and sweeps with receivers under 150 pounds.

After watching more game footage I am more convinced Zion is the truth. At least half the sacks involved Jarren holding on to the ball more than 3 seconds. I’m at least a couple of them he could have passed the ball to his checkdowm.

If he had thrown the ball away on those plays or made his check down plays the game probably would have turned out differently.

I expect Jarren to get better this season and reduce those types of errors. When he does, the OL will look a lot better and our offense is going to go ape**** on our opponents.

Watching back Zion needed to clean up things. He got stuck in his stance a little too long at times. But I didn't walk away after watching this completely down on the young man. I felt better. Needs to improve sure. But not as bad after watching live.

There's a defender right above kj not pictured here. He's literally leveraged above him if you widen out a bit more. Could have checked it. But kj is immediately tackled if this is thrown.

Fair enough; was he sacked on this play though? Would have been a better outcome than that.

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante
We should have used more rpo, look how much space Pope would have had. Should have faked it to the rb and threw it out to pope

Same thing with the rpo here, with Osborn

Last edited:
@Roman Marciante
We should have used more rpo, look how much space Harley would have had. Should have faked it to the rb and threw it out to harley

Same thing with the rpo here, with Osborn

Yeah some rpo usage was utilized. Not an over reliance of it rather a part of the package. Seemed more multiple formation play based with intent to simplify looks for the qb and definitely was west coast derived.

Last play of the game. If the snap is on point, we win the game. It was a delayed screen to DeeJay, and the entire field is open & Camp has his man pancaked & KJ would’ve been on Henderson, or DeeJay 1 on 1 with Henderson at worst.

C8E32A94-BD4B-4776-88F1-AC69FE2AF8AB.jpeg

94944895-F371-4BD4-B5F4-7EE6F224CB5F.jpeg

Advertisement
True, but that is exactly the sort of thing you see with first time starters at QB, especially, in Jarren's case, one who never even got any real mop-up duty in the past either. So he went into a huge, primetime rivalry game against a good, aggressive defense, and a weak O-line, with basically zero game experience.

Given that, and how he did perform, even with his many mistakes, I'm very confident in his abilities. I expect the game will slow down for him as he gets some more experience and confidence. A week off to work on mistakes, a test against UNC, and then two weeks of playing cupcakes to hone his skills and continue to grow more comfortable with the offense and the speed of the game, and he should be ready to take on the meat of the ACC schedule coming up after that. He has the potential to be a very good QB.
I agree 🎯

These breakdowns show that Jarren’s vision could be a lot better as far as, finding his check down, anticipating pressure, and finding the blitzer. UF gambled to stop him and test his mettle, and he wasn’t ready to answer their challenge on most plays down the stretch. His QB coach is the blame for all of this as well. Enos has to calm him down and help him see what’s happening to him, how their defense is in desperation, and how to make them pay for it quickly.
This is easy to say. There's not much you can do or say in the heat of the moment to speed up his clock. Only getting reps in live action can do that. Enos wasn't here last year to get him ready.

Advertisement
I know you didn't @ me but I had the same questions and felt like they were somewhat answered after watching the Enos and Diaz pressers.

I also want to get your opinion on why we never tried any max protect.

We showed zero max protect packages and ran one rollout. Diaz was asked about this and his response was that as a D-Coordinator he felt rollouts were a crutch because you are telling the defense you are only going to use half the field. Considering that we saw a rolloout but didn't see a max protect, I deduce that he probably feels max protect is a crutch package as well. It's a cutting edge take from someone who has his own philosophy about the modern game. I respect it.

Furthermore, Enos expressed more frustration with Jarren holding on to the ball than protection. He obviously feels Jarren had plenty of time to hit targets (or IMO maybe even scramble). So it doesn't sound like Enos was as concerned with protection as the fans were because the options were there and Jaren had enough time to make the throws

It looks like Enos and Manny are going to stick with their philosophy. The good news - that's the best front 7 we face in the regular season and Enos felt like Jarren had plenty of opportunities.
That's a great assessment. I just watched the Enos presser and went over Romans post again and I think the picture is beginning to come into much sharper focus for me. It would seem that Williams didn't play nearly as well as it may have seemed. Jarren's reluctance to pull the trigger makes me wonder if maybe Diaz/Enos are overdoing the whole "Don't burn the house down." shtick. What we may have here is that Jarren is so concerned about throwing an interception that he's not letting himself play instinctively. When you have a QB that has the type of skills JW has you can't over do the fear based coaching. At some point you are going to make him feel that it's ok to let it rip.

Advertisement
This is easy to say. There's not much you can do or say in the heat of the moment to speed up his clock. Only getting reps in live action can do that. Enos wasn't here last year to get him ready.
U can tell him that his WRs are pointing out blitzers on multiple plays shown here and he did nothing to speed up his progressions or find the quick check down. This thread shows it happen over and over, so what was Enos telling him or doing to rectify it?? I don’t know, but Enos demands perfection and I demand it from him as well.

That's a great assessment. I just watched the Enos presser and went over Romans post again and I think the picture is beginning to come into much sharper focus for me. It would seem that Williams didn't play nearly as well as it may have seemed. Jarren's reluctance to pull the trigger makes me wonder if maybe Diaz/Enos are overdoing the whole "Don't burn the house down." shtick. What we may have here is that Jarren is so concerned about throwing an interception that he's not letting himself play instinctively. When you have a QB that has the type of skills JW has you can't over do the fear based coaching. At some point you are going to make him feel that it's ok to let it rip.

Or he's a freshman and he's not ready and the game is way too fast for him right now and isn't seeing what he should be seeing in order to let it rip.

I liked a good bit of what I saw from Williams. There's definite positives. But there's also things that are very alarming, like his inability to know his situation and surroundings. You don't run out of bounds behind the sticks. Literally a kid playing HS JV football gets reamed for that. So there's things to build on, but there's certainly red flags here too. It's up to Enos and the kid to build on the positives and eliminate the negatives. He's surely got some talent, though. But the decision making was a little scary for me.

Advertisement
Back