From the Perch: FIU

This is only the second game I have ever walked away from watching. The first was the Clemson blowout that got Folden fired. This, this was worse to me. FIU running their gums now makes me want to punch grizzly bears.

Advertisement
It will be nine narrated clips from arguably the worst loss in modern day Miami Hurricane history. FIU imposed their will early and Miami uniquely and innately played down to their competition. Miami pulled off the unthinkable last night. To put it in terms or some perspective.

Here are some random take away points after watching the game:

• When Dan Enos asks the question, "Did my quarterback help me win the game?" The answer is resoundingly no.
  • I think Miami needs to have some reliable counters built into their RPO slants.
  • I believe some RPO site adjustments could morph this offense and some out-breaking RPO varieties wouldn't hurt
  • Wiggins was not responsible for that first interception despite what the telecast said (Jarren was)
  • Miami is absolutely a circus on third down. As of this morning they rank dead last (130/130) in the country on third downs
  • Miami also is particularly bad in the red zone again this week and on the year (123/130)
  • Miami is not that efficient if you take away components of their RPO game
  • The two interceptions on RPO/slants had back story but the one to Will Mallory in triple coverage was the worst decision to throw by any quarterback all year
  • The 4th down failed attempts in the first half were a mixture of execution/rigidity in system/and unimaginative design
  • Miami out of a bye week is a huge example of utter failure
  • FIU game plan was simple and has been employed by other teams in the past. Get the ball out quick. Miami still struggled at times to stop it
  • Miami over reliance on rotating towards the jet sweep motion bit them when they needed a stop the most
  • Miami's defense took many steps backwards vs. FIU and Blake Baker seemed at times like he was an adjustment behind
  • Gregory Rousseau at the zero tech has paid dividends in the past, but the they might want to adapt this further. He was triple teamed inside and this isn't the first time Miami gave up a huge 3rd down conversion run with a smaller 0 tech on third down
  • The NCAA needs to adopt an anti flopping rule immediately
Thank you once again for continuing to follow along with the From the Perch series. I am sure I will get asked why I do this to myself but the simple answer is I just love to learn this game. It is a huge interconnected puzzle and regardless of euphoric win or catastrophic low there is always take away points in either variety. And as always, if you could please subscribe to my YouTube channel, that would be epic. I will continue to evolve this over time and appreciate the early support in this endeavor. Finally I will leave with a formulated opinion over the course of 11 games. I do not like Dan Enos the play caller or his offense. This is not cutting edge. It is cutting teeth. I am hoping he is this year's version of Matt Canada. (There I said it)

And with your last sentence I would take Matt Canada over Enos if this is the offense I knew he was going to run. Canada runs a heavy shift and motion pro style base offense better. Despite being on the field Enos does not have good rhythm or feel with his play calling.

Advertisement

"FIU knew exactly where Williams’ passes were going on the interceptions, particularly the two by the linebackers. The Hurricanes ran run-pass options on each of those and the linebackers didn’t bite at all. With a bye week of their own ahead of the game, the Panthers had watched enough film to know Williams usually throws when Miami calls a run-pass option. Coach Butch Davis and FIU were always a step ahead of the Hurricanes, and they took too long to adjust.

“It all came down to film and the type of offense they were running. They were running like an RPO offense, so we were able to notice when the quarterback would read one of our linebackers and then throw the ball a lot,” Lewis said .”The picks that me and Jamal had, we just did a good job of getting under it and not biting on the run.”

It will be nine narrated clips from arguably the worst loss in modern day Miami Hurricane history. FIU imposed their will early and Miami uniquely and innately played down to their competition. Miami pulled off the unthinkable last night. To put it in terms or some perspective.

Here are some random take away points after watching the game:

• When Dan Enos asks the question, "Did my quarterback help me win the game?" The answer is resoundingly no.
  • I think Miami needs to have some reliable counters built into their RPO slants.
  • I believe some RPO site adjustments could morph this offense and some out-breaking RPO varieties wouldn't hurt
  • Wiggins was not responsible for that first interception despite what the telecast said (Jarren was)
  • Miami is absolutely a circus on third down. As of this morning they rank dead last (130/130) in the country on third downs
  • Miami also is particularly bad in the red zone again this week and on the year (123/130)
  • Miami is not that efficient if you take away components of their RPO game
  • The two interceptions on RPO/slants had back story but the one to Will Mallory in triple coverage was the worst decision to throw by any quarterback all year
  • The 4th down failed attempts in the first half were a mixture of execution/rigidity in system/and unimaginative design
  • Miami out of a bye week is a huge example of utter failure
  • FIU game plan was simple and has been employed by other teams in the past. Get the ball out quick. Miami still struggled at times to stop it
  • Miami over reliance on rotating towards the jet sweep motion bit them when they needed a stop the most
  • Miami's defense took many steps backwards vs. FIU and Blake Baker seemed at times like he was an adjustment behind
  • Gregory Rousseau at the zero tech has paid dividends in the past, but the they might want to adapt this further. He was triple teamed inside and this isn't the first time Miami gave up a huge 3rd down conversion run with a smaller 0 tech on third down
  • The NCAA needs to adopt an anti flopping rule immediately
Thank you once again for continuing to follow along with the From the Perch series. I am sure I will get asked why I do this to myself but the simple answer is I just love to learn this game. It is a huge interconnected puzzle and regardless of euphoric win or catastrophic low there is always take away points in either variety. And as always, if you could please subscribe to my YouTube channel, that would be epic. I will continue to evolve this over time and appreciate the early support in this endeavor. Finally I will leave with a formulated opinion over the course of 11 games. I do not like Dan Enos the play caller or his offense. This is not cutting edge. It is cutting teeth. I am hoping he is this year's version of Matt Canada. (There I said it)

Your first talking point is HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE. Perhaps it should have said... Did I-ENOS- help my QB, and offense to win the game! But then again, perhaps you were being sarcastic. hUh.

Miami needs to fire every coach on the offense including Diaz.

WHY DOES CANE FAN mention this nonsensical talking point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because believe it or not. Diaz and his questionable OC/DC will be back for round two next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dUh. Just U wait and see. hUh,

Advertisement
Diaz isn’t going to be fired unfortunately.

But Enos has to go. He does not get modern football. Even RPOs are clunky and repetitive because he doesn’t get it. It’s an old school football coach doing his best impression of modern football.
RPO is like the "belly" series we ran under Coach Gus in the 1950's. Otherwise known as the "Miami Drive." It was the forerunner of the wishbone and other option series. I don't know what good it is if you don't truly have a running threat at QB. In olden days, our option QB would put the ball in the fullback's belly (think Miami all-time great Don Bosseler), and pull it out if end came crashing down and QB had a place to run. There was much less emphasis on passing.

I guess the RPO replaces the QB keep and run with the pass. So I guess the only two options are run or pass, depending on what the QB reads. Still, it requires a QB who can make the right reads quickly.

I'm not really an "x's" and "o's" guy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just wondering if the RPO is not our thing. I'm not sure what our thing is.

Just know I didn't like the two calls on 4th and 1. Why not just play smash mouth and power it up in there? Aren't we big and strong enough inside to do that?

All you need to know about Baker is 3rd and 19 and every single defensive player was on the line of scrimmage besides the safeties and a simple HB run up the middle gets the 1st down

And, all you need to know about Diaz and little brother Baker, is mighty FIU converting CRUCIAL " third and LONGS, " time after time. " 6-14 ." And four of those third down conversions should have NEVER happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is only the second game I have ever walked away from watching. The first was the Clemson blowout that got Folden fired. This, this was worse to me. FIU running their gums now makes me want to punch grizzly bears.

I second your notion! I, too, didn't view the 2nd half of the Clemson BYTCH SLAPPING, and didn't bother to view the EXPECTED lost against FIU, in the fourth quarter.

It’s like I say this every year. Clean out the athletic department, clean out the football coaching suite then fumigate. Bring in a seasoned AD who has won big and start over.

WHY beat your big cranium against your bedroom door? Your fantasize thinking AIN'T going to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
WHY DOES CANE FAN mention this nonsensical talking point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because believe it or not. Diaz and his questionable OC/DC will be back for round two next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dUh. Just U wait and see. hUh,
I don't think they'll fire earlier than the end of next season. The bottom would really have to fall out earlier and I mean really fall out, like it did for Willie, for them to fire mid-season.

And still, they are going to have trouble finding another coach who is significantly better. We have had trouble finding new coaches for decades, whether you want to believe it or not. Many coaches will see Miami as a graveyard, from which most head coaches never recover. It's been twenty years since we had a coach leave to a better job. Since Butch, all have been fired, and arguably, their careers proceeded at a lower level.

I don't think there were that many proven, outstanding coaches lining up either after Schnelly left or Johnson. Jimmy was late in the game, after recruiting was done as was spring practice. I don't even know if Sam conducted much of a search. I heard that Sam and Jimmy saw each other at a coach's convention. Jimmy reportedly begged Sam for the job. Jimmy was reportedly feeling confined by the smaller town of Stillwater, where he couldn't conduct his extra-curricular social life without it being observed, either in the community, or where it wouldn't be known by his then-wife. Jimmy was reportedly desperate to get a job in a bigger city. That late, after spring practice, it was probably harder to find a top coach.

When we hired Dennis, I don't remember a lot of news about an extensive job search. In fact, I believe that Sam talked to Terry Donahue but not really about leaving UCLA. He might have talked to him about Dennis, whose WSU had just upset UCLA during the season and knocked them out of number one. He was doing due diligence on Dennis. Donahue said publicly that Dennis had the best-conceived offense in the Pac-10.

He was right. Dennis had two 1000 yard rushers the same year (1988) on the same team and a great passing attack with Timm Rosenbach

The offense was light years ahead of most in college football.

Advertisement
And with your last sentence I would take Matt Canada over Enos if this is the offense I knew he was going to run. Canada runs a heavy shift and motion pro style base offense better. Despite being on the field Enos does not have good rhythm or feel with his play calling.

I find it extremely ironic that Manny used LSU and losing to Troy in his presser. Because....

Advertisement
Back