From the Perch: Duke

Advertisement
I want a pro spread here that allows the ability to check out of a bad play. I would casually infuse that with multiplicity in sets and some baylor spread outside hash prerogatives to create even more space and turn a simple slant into a TD. When Miami's offense can take a simple slant to the house...I know we are back on track. (small little quirky barometer but space can do that for ya)
Exactly! ******* exactly. I’m so tired of seeing these offense using space, high lows, runs, picks, double slots, etc and what do I see when I turn on Miami? ******* trips or Ace set...it’s like we’re stuck in 2003.

Thank you, Roman, for putting in this effort even on ****** losses like the last two.

I know I couldn't go back through that game except maybe to watch the drive with the Hedley run.

Excellent commentary at the end. Could not agree more. We have the horses but we are fitting a square peg in an old round hole....spread it and get your athletes in space!! Loved the 5-0 vs 7-0 analogy too...absolutely right ( easier to block 5 than 7).

and I agree with you on manny as a DC...he let the athletes loose and they became great. Further, he was able to tweak his system every year and get better. I believe and pray that he has the wherewithal to do the same for his offense. His job depends on it.

Let’s go Canes!

Advertisement
I want a pro spread here that allows the ability to check out of a bad play. I would casually infuse that with multiplicity in sets and some baylor spread outside hash prerogatives to create even more space and turn a simple slant into a TD. When Miami's offense can take a simple slant to the house...I know we are back on track. (small little quirky barometer but space can do that for ya)

With an OL this bad, we need to rely on misdirection and trickery. I think we need to see if Paul Johnson is REALLY done. Need that GT offense.

Actually I would be curious to know if there have been any 21st century updates to the triple option (like Riley/Bedenbaugh added a power run element to the traditional air raid)

@Roman Marciante how likely is it that a guy like Enos can adapt to a spread offense? Can Enos suddenly use whatever spread concepts he uses, develop them, and install a competent game plan by next year? Or is it safe to assume we’re f***ed if he returns bc even if he adapts he won’t be able to overcome his own tendencies and weaknesses and he simply doesn’t understand the spread offense enough?

Advertisement
What I'd give for a slant to ........well just give me a caught slant first.

It will be 11 narrated game clips this week including an end of year unmasked candid commentary. Ultimately after arguably the two worst back to back losses in modern Miami Hurricane history there will be some questions. The game tape will roll and hopefully we will be able to have some answers on this edition of From the Perch. This week will also feature commentary at the end of the game clips and introduce a segment similar to my role on the Orange Bowl Boys. What do I think the Miami Hurricanes need to do moving forward? The end of the video will voice it all.

Some random take away points this week:
  • Jarren Williams was once again off this week
  • Dropped eyes to notice the rush (Hard not too)
  • Williams missed some open receivers this week and was not as accurate with the ball as he had been
  • Wide Receivers did not do a good job separating
  • Duke practically lived in man/press man coverage and did not fear our vertical passing game at all
  • Miami gave up 9 sacks and the offensive line took a collective 17 steps backwards after improving a few weeks prior
  • 3rd down woes continued (Miami 130/130 in the country in this metric)
  • Miami ran two unsuccessful tosses into the short side of the field on third down and acted like they NEVER ran it once in practice both times. They had ZERO clue on who to block
  • Enos does not call a game like he has deficiencies along the offensive line
  • Everyone took turns in the turnstile this week along the offensive line
  • Zion Nelson might not be the answer at LT next year. He regressed big time this game
  • Herbert was beaten almost consistently once he came in
  • The commentators on the TV broadcast criticizing Enos about his decision to have long developing pass plays was justified
  • Miami comes under center and it brings a lot of in the box defenders with them. Duke was super aggressive on early downs to combat the play-action game and it got Miami behind the sticks a time or two.
  • Duke's offense was able to gash Miami at times with simple numbers advantages and a mobile QB threat option
  • Perry was not efficient in relief, staring down receivers, putting balls in harms way and ultimately taking two sacks and allowing a turnover
  • I have to credit Will Mallory. The Boy played good
The regular season is now behind us boys and girls. Thank you for the ride and I appreciate all the constant feedback you have provided. I know I will get a ton of people who will not want to relive game film moments from that debacle and that is totally understandable. "Why do you do this to yourself Ro?" It is essentially my contribution to this site and I thoroughly enjoy watching film and just talking shop with fellow fans. As always, please help the cause and subscribe to the YouTube channel. I honestly changed to this format strictly for the InSight group who over the years told me that they cannot watch my clips on Twitter. Thanks.

Well done, Ro.

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante how likely is it that a guy like Enos can adapt to a spread offense? Can Enos suddenly use whatever spread concepts he uses, develop them, and install a competent game plan by next year? Or is it safe to assume we’re f***ed if he returns bc even if he adapts he won’t be able to overcome his own tendencies and weaknesses and he simply doesn’t understand the spread offense enough?

Could. But I don't like this offenses propensity to stick with a bad play. When other options are suitable. Twice in two weeks. FIU had only 1 cb covering two wr's and the canes ran it. Now again on third down in the red zone...

I just don't think the pre snap picture screamed toss this. But... here we are 130/130 on 3rd down and a pretty bad red zone team

Advertisement
Could. But I don't like this offenses propensity to stick with a bad play. When other options are suitable. Twice in two weeks. FIU had only 1 cb covering two wr's and the canes ran it. Now again on third down in the red zone...

I just don't think the pre snap picture screamed toss this. But... here we are 130/130 on 3rd down and a pretty bad red zone team

Scheme, game planning, play calling, and execution are each separate topics. It’s not impossible that Enos could adapt his scheme, but we just saw what he could do with his preferred scheme, and we’re awful. His game planning and play calling, as you well illustrate, are just bad, scheme aside. Would they get better if he started over schematically? Not sure why anyone would expect them to. Do we think he’d improve at coaching guys to execute if he revamped schematically? Again, not sure why anyone would expect this.

All you need is a dollar and a dream, like they say. But hope ain’t a strategy.

Roman, great video, thanks for putting that together. I know Manny isn't going anywhere, no chance he gets fired, I'm hopeful that he's not too arrogant to admit he made a mistake in hiring Enos and makes the necessary change that is obvious to everyone else.

@Roman Marciante do you think Manny will get rid of Dan Enos regardless of what happens in the bowl game? Or do you think he'll base his decision on what happens in the bowl game?

I'm just concerned about fools gold.

Advertisement
Back