From the Perch: Central Michigan

Seems to me that the mid week interviews are the most revealing....when they thump their chest and say we are top 5 in this or we strive to be the best in that, that is gonna be the trouble points in that weeks game. Watch the interviews then watch the game. For all of the games if you think I'm lying.

Very true. Euphoric high or catastrophic low after a game usually gets more clarity after film review. Then the resulting interviews seem to take suit.

Advertisement
Texas and their HOME field Cotton Bowl. Miami was ONCE too powerful to let both their opponent and game referee's defeat them. Because Miami REFUSED to lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Difference is, those calls weren't bogus. They didn't call back good plays, or let Texas get away with 50 holdings. Huge difference. They let us play.

Advertisement
Nobody talks about the 2 minute 40 second timer. I like that guy. He really knows how to do the slow spin.

Sometimes he switches to 3 minutes 25 seconds. That's like before a kickoff.

Most of the day on Saturday he was more entertaining than the football

Nobody talks about the 2 minute 40 second timer. I like that guy. He really knows how to do the slow spin.

Sometimes he switches to 3 minutes 25 seconds. That's like before a kickoff.

Most of the day on Saturday he was more entertaining than the football
I’m tempted to ask you what in the world you’re talking about but I’m afraid you’ll tell me...in excruciatingly long detail and I’ll be left where I started if I don’t outright fall asleep reading it.

Advertisement
Freshman left tackle played his third game, freshman right guard started his 2nd game, red shirt freshman qb started his third game, key positions are very inexperienced on offense this team is going to be like a roller coaster on offense all year. Keep in mind new offense as well. Look at the secondary three new starters, d line 2 new starters. It's going to be a rollercoaster all year. Survive and advance. Build depth and experience get this team a bowl game to get more practice and continue to develop to develop them. Hit the portal, juco, and high school ranks and continue to build depth. Alot of the guys who played so far it's their 1st year in a college weight room and they had a few months to prepare for this.

I'm not making execuse but this team is not going to be a offensive or defensive juggernaut until quality depth and experience is across the board.

I’m tempted to ask you what in the world you’re talking about but I’m afraid you’ll tell me...in excruciatingly long detail and I’ll be left where I started if I don’t outright fall asleep reading it.
This is absolutely hilarious,.......f'ucking quality humor, my man! My goal for the week is to use the bolded line in at least 5 separate conversations. I can go ahead and book my wife for two of those.

This is absolutely hilarious,.......f'ucking quality humor, my man! My goal for the week is to use the bolded line in at least 5 separate conversations. I can go ahead and book my wife for two of those.

EPIC!! I just read this aloud to my wife. She just covered her face, but laughed. Please report back on your success! Via con Dios, man!

this would make the 7th OC in a row that can move the ball but is horrific on money downs and redzone, its been the same story for years now

Advertisement
Lots of abandonment of the fullback and i formation sure. I think my biggest concern is that the closer you are, the closer they are. Miami has had some issues with free hitters, some blitzes coming off from close press corners on tight wide receivers etc. Some of that gets minimized with space because it makes these blitzers come from farther out and much more easily identifiable.

I love multiplicative design. I don't think too much of one thing is necessarily the way to go because teams adjust. I am not in favor of being 100% spread. The spread isn't what it used to be. The spread doesn't surprise people the way it use to. Defenses have adapted, like ours, by putting less linebackers and better faster athletes who can cover on the field.

But if this offense want's to alleviate some of the pressure it puts on its offensive linemen then it needs to utilize some more space at times. Pressure busts pipes. You want to get rid of pressure, increase the diameter of the pipe.
small thing like have the WR's outside the hash makes a huge difference. I think Enos is good but his scheme is doesn't match Miami skillset right now. If Manny is really analytical then I expect some changes on offense. These next few week is going to show you a lot about Enos adjustments?

Here are some take away points from the video series this week and yesterday's game vs. Central Michigan.

• Miami offensive line took a step back after improving the past two weeks
  • Struggles on third down continued and in part became worse as Miami is now 128th out of 130th on 3rd down completions
  • Execution is a big culprit on third down inefficacy this week
  • Central Michigan employed a ton of heavy box defenders to combat Miami's 12 set tight formation based sets
  • Miami continues to rely on post snap RPO's but are super successful with them
  • Central Michigan played some tendencies of Miami and their defensive line stunted in anticipation of pulling linemen
  • Way too many negative plays precipitated by the fact of the offensive line play and heavy in the box unaccounted defensive players
  • Officiating was horribly inconsistent. I have not yet once complained about officiating this year but this was bad
  • Miami was successful from some spread and space concepts once again which should be considered when the running game has tough sledding
  • Missed some throws on the field this week. Made some throws this week too.
  • Need to understand as a qb the whole play picture, which should be heightened, down along the goal line.

I don't like how close this one was this week. Ultimately you shouldn't need to "Escape with a win" vs a perceived lesser opponent when you were favored by multiple scores. Once again InSight crew if you could please show your support of this series by also subscribing and liking on YouTube that would be much appreciated. Win or lose (or even win-losing) we got a job to do. #Thanks

In regards to the highlighted play on the 2nd Mallory catch, you show Jeff Thomas being down the field, but correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t there a DB on the outside of him?

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante - a couple questions for you -

1) As you said in this game review, you are not in favor of going to a full on shotgun spread, even with the general trend by many college programs (as well as some NFL teams) to go in that direction. I know many fans want to see us go more in that direction, and I think i do as well, but I also agree that there is some value in being variable in the types of formations we run. I know that the Rams and Saints are two of the models of modern offenses, and watching the Rams tonight you see a ton of under center, play action concepts, along with the shotgun, RPO concepts that are much more popular. Obviously, those 2 coaches are at the top of their profession as offensive coaches, but do you think that in some ways, the offense that Enos is trying to run is in some ways trying to incorporate/mimic some of those concepts. Clearly, our OL limits the effectiveness of those types of plays, but do you think that there is value in sticking with some of it, as plays like Mallory's first catch, and some other under center plays we have run, have shown some success.

2) Are you surprised that we haven't come out in 12 personnel, under center for some plays, and then split at least 1 of the TEs out wide, and put Jarren back into the shotgun, to try and loosen the congestion in the box and get some favorable matchups for the TEs as receivers?

3) Are you surprised that we haven't used our RBs a bit more as release valves in the passing game (on more than just screens)? The screens have generally be successful, but it seems like all our RBs could really be effective if we can get them the ball with some space.

Is there anything dumber in 2019 than a school with access to the fastest, more elite athletes in the country, playing within the box????

It’s beginning to become maddening how we seriously refuse to stick to our strength which is speed.

Miami is speed. We’ve never been the big over powering teams... we always used speed.

@Roman Marciante - a couple questions for you -

1) As you said in this game review, you are not in favor of going to a full on shotgun spread, even with the general trend by many college programs (as well as some NFL teams) to go in that direction. I know many fans want to see us go more in that direction, and I think i do as well, but I also agree that there is some value in being variable in the types of formations we run. I know that the Rams and Saints are two of the models of modern offenses, and watching the Rams tonight you see a ton of under center, play action concepts, along with the shotgun, RPO concepts that are much more popular. Obviously, those 2 coaches are at the top of their profession as offensive coaches, but do you think that in some ways, the offense that Enos is trying to run is in some ways trying to incorporate/mimic some of those concepts. Clearly, our OL limits the effectiveness of those types of plays, but do you think that there is value in sticking with some of it, as plays like Mallory's first catch, and some other under center plays we have run, have shown some success.

2) Are you surprised that we haven't come out in 12 personnel, under center for some plays, and then split at least 1 of the TEs out wide, and put Jarren back into the shotgun, to try and loosen the congestion in the box and get some favorable matchups for the TEs as receivers?

3) Are you surprised that we haven't used our RBs a bit more as release valves in the passing game (on more than just screens)? The screens have generally be successful, but it seems like all our RBs could really be effective if we can get them the ball with some space.

1)Yes. He is multiplicitive in approach however he is not incorporating as much spread as I like. I like the pro spread the best. I like NFL passing concepts infused with variants in pace and a premium on space. I don't believe we have even seen any empty gun looks which I think Jarren would be very effective on. (Which most every NFL and college team will employ) And I occasionally would prefer under center because they can be really effective on play action and I agree there as well. I think the guts for this offense is there. Just need a little more makeup.

2. Yeah the 12 set hasn't really been utilized with tight ends in that fashion. I am surprised and I think it goes back to a little bit more space and makeup in #1

3. No I am not surprised but I am ok with it. Enos prefers his rb's to fill and cross the qb's filed of vision on many concepts he employs. Part of the reason for Jarren's completion % is that Enos does a wonderful job bringing the play into the view including the checkdown. I thought Richt was disjointed in that capacity. He would have trips to the field. A single wr to the boundary and 95% of the time would run a slant wheel. That wasn't a safety valve that was two concepts in which one he wanted to employ vs the blitz. I much rather be in this system in terms of checkdowns. And you need to realize the rb's are getting roped into protection schemes while our offensive linemen find their way.

Advertisement
Back