From the Perch: Central Michigan

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Here are some take away points from the video series this week and yesterday's game vs. Central Michigan.

• Miami offensive line took a step back after improving the past two weeks
  • Struggles on third down continued and in part became worse as Miami is now 128th out of 130th on 3rd down completions
  • Execution is a big culprit on third down inefficacy this week
  • Central Michigan employed a ton of heavy box defenders to combat Miami's 12 set tight formation based sets
  • Miami continues to rely on post snap RPO's but are super successful with them
  • Central Michigan played some tendencies of Miami and their defensive line stunted in anticipation of pulling linemen
  • Way too many negative plays precipitated by the fact of the offensive line play and heavy in the box unaccounted defensive players
  • Officiating was horribly inconsistent. I have not yet once complained about officiating this year but this was bad
  • Miami was successful from some spread and space concepts once again which should be considered when the running game has tough sledding
  • Missed some throws on the field this week. Made some throws this week too.
  • Need to understand as a qb the whole play picture, which should be heightened, down along the goal line.

I don't like how close this one was this week. Ultimately you shouldn't need to "Escape with a win" vs a perceived lesser opponent when you were favored by multiple scores. Once again InSight crew if you could please show your support of this series by also subscribing and liking on YouTube that would be much appreciated. Win or lose (or even win-losing) we got a job to do. #Thanks

Advertisement
Well dUh, WHY does Cane fan even mention the good ol' boy ACC officiating crew. ****. It's been TERRIBLE since Miami became part of the corrupt conference!

The bottom line is Miami is no longer a consistent Top 10 football team ( Tell us something we don't already know. Troll! ) And because of that fact, Miami CAN'T defeat both their conference opponent and the game day corrupt ACC officiating crew!

Maybe Enos thought we had a Wisconsin oline but even in their game against CMU their qb threw for over 300 yards. They probably saw what you picked up and knew there was plays to be made in the passing game due to them selling out on stopping the run.

Enos showing some stubbornness in not adjusting more often to that 8 in the box look. With our receivers there is no reason we can't be throwing more when defenses line up that way.

Advertisement
Officiating shouldn't have mattered against an opponent like this, but it was as bad as I've ever seen. And that's saying something.
Continue with shyttey play, and the league will assign lower caliber officials to our games. The good ones all go to games that matter.

Advertisement
Every time they put his face on the big screen the head ref had this smirk on his face like he was dying to laugh.

Well dUh, WHY does Cane fan even mention the good ol' boy ACC officiating crew. ****. It's been TERRIBLE since Miami became part of the corrupt conference!

The bottom line is Miami is no longer a consistent Top 10 football team ( Tell us something we don't already know. Troll! ) And because of that fact, Miami CAN'T defeat both their conference opponent and the game day corrupt ACC officiating crew!
I think we had some trouble back in the day with Big East crews, too. In fact, Paul Dee mentioned severe hostility to Leonard Hamilton by one basketball official as one compelling example. He mentioned it as part of a larger picture of bad and hostile basketball officiating as one of many reasons to change conferences. He might have mentioned bad football officiating, but I'm having trouble remembering the specifics. I do think we had a lot of complaints about the Big East football officiating. I guess the grass is greener....

I think we had some trouble back in the day with Big East crews, too. In fact, Paul Dee mentioned severe hostility to Leonard Hamilton by one basketball official as one compelling example. He mentioned it as part of a larger picture of bad and hostile basketball officiating as one of many reasons to change conferences. He might have mentioned bad football officiating, but I'm having trouble remembering the specifics. I do think we had a lot of complaints about the Big East football officiating. I guess the grass is greener....

Texas and their HOME field Cotton Bowl. Miami was ONCE too powerful to let both their opponent and game referee's defeat them. Because Miami REFUSED to lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Im watching a full half of nfl football with Bruce Arians /Byron leftwich calling the bucs offense and I have Yet to see a single play with a fullback in the game or any iformation plays. Enos absolutely has to cut that out of the playbook and shred it up. Nothing good comes of it and we can’t block using the formation period. Miami needs to spread out and operate exclusively out of the shotgun

Im watching a full half of nfl football with Bruce Arians /Byron leftwich calling the bucs offense and I have Yet to see a single play with a fullback in the game or any iformation plays. Enos absolutely has to cut that out of the playbook and shred it up. Nothing good comes of it and we can’t block using the formation period. Miami needs to spread out and operate exclusively out of the shotgun

Lots of abandonment of the fullback and i formation sure. I think my biggest concern is that the closer you are, the closer they are. Miami has had some issues with free hitters, some blitzes coming off from close press corners on tight wide receivers etc. Some of that gets minimized with space because it makes these blitzers come from farther out and much more easily identifiable.

I love multiplicative design. I don't think too much of one thing is necessarily the way to go because teams adjust. I am not in favor of being 100% spread. The spread isn't what it used to be. The spread doesn't surprise people the way it use to. Defenses have adapted, like ours, by putting less linebackers and better faster athletes who can cover on the field.

But if this offense want's to alleviate some of the pressure it puts on its offensive linemen then it needs to utilize some more space at times. Pressure busts pipes. You want to get rid of pressure, increase the diameter of the pipe.

He tried to play Wisconsin smash mouth football without the OL or the OL coaching.

All our **** is painfully slow developing from tight sets. Teams are just walking through that slow ****. When we spread it out and get the ball out we look a lot better.

As always, the only real hope down here with the abundance of WRs and TEs is to widen the splits, get in the gun and open up the field a little.

To allow a slow team full of fat sloppy slugs like CMU to play the only sort of way that could give them a remote chance to hang was criminally negligent. I know how he wants to play, but that’s not going to work worth a **** with this team as it’s currently composed.

Advertisement
Here are some take away points from the video series this week and yesterday's game vs. Central Michigan.

• Miami offensive line took a step back after improving the past two weeks
  • Struggles on third down continued and in part became worse as Miami is now 128th out of 130th on 3rd down completions
  • Execution is a big culprit on third down inefficacy this week
  • Central Michigan employed a ton of heavy box defenders to combat Miami's 12 set tight formation based sets
  • Miami continues to rely on post snap RPO's but are super successful with them
  • Central Michigan played some tendencies of Miami and their defensive line stunted in anticipation of pulling linemen
  • Way too many negative plays precipitated by the fact of the offensive line play and heavy in the box unaccounted defensive players
  • Officiating was horribly inconsistent. I have not yet once complained about officiating this year but this was bad
  • Miami was successful from some spread and space concepts once again which should be considered when the running game has tough sledding
  • Missed some throws on the field this week. Made some throws this week too.
  • Need to understand as a qb the whole play picture, which should be heightened, down along the goal line.

I don't like how close this one was this week. Ultimately you shouldn't need to "Escape with a win" vs a perceived lesser opponent when you were favored by multiple scores. Once again InSight crew if you could please show your support of this series by also subscribing and liking on YouTube that would be much appreciated. Win or lose (or even win-losing) we got a job to do. #Thanks

Roman; love your takes, but imma have to nick-pick on your first take; the OL didn’t take a step back; it’s been the same.

This OL has not improved at all. The only reason y we haven’t bled sacks like we did against UF is b/c we’ve played against some inferior lines and had to go max protect. Even w that employed, we gave up 4 sacks against UNC. We gave up 0 sacks against BCU (as we shouldn’t) but still gave up 5 TFL and multiple QB pressures. We just gave up another 4 sacks w QB pressure again, including **** poor running lanes.

In 4 games, we’ve given up 18 sacks and we’ve only played one team w a good DL. That’s deplorable

Lots of abandonment of the fullback and i formation sure. I think my biggest concern is that the closer you are, the closer they are. Miami has had some issues with free hitters, some blitzes coming off from close press corners on tight wide receivers etc. Some of that gets minimized with space because it makes these blitzers come from farther out and much more easily identifiable.

I love multiplicative design. I don't think too much of one thing is necessarily the way to go because teams adjust. I am not in favor of being 100% spread. The spread isn't what it used to be. The spread doesn't surprise people the way it use to. Defenses have adapted, like ours, by putting less linebackers and better faster athletes who can cover on the field.

But if this offense want's to alleviate some of the pressure it puts on its offensive linemen then it needs to utilize some more space at times. Pressure busts pipes. You want to get rid of pressure, increase the diameter of the pipe.
1000%

How the **** Anos doesn’t see that is insane

Seems to me that the mid week interviews are the most revealing....when they thump their chest and say we are top 5 in this or we strive to be the best in that, that is gonna be the trouble points in that weeks game. Watch the interviews then watch the game. For all of the games if you think I'm lying.

Roman; love your takes, but imma have to nick-pick on your first take; the OL didn’t take a step back; it’s been the same.

This OL has not improved at all. The only reason y we haven’t bled sacks like we did against UF is b/c we’ve played against some inferior lines and had to go max protect. Even w that employed, we gave up 4 sacks against UNC. We gave up 0 sacks against BCU (as we shouldn’t) but still gave up 5 TFL and multiple QB pressures. We just gave up another 4 sacks w QB pressure again, including **** poor running lanes.

In 4 games, we’ve given up 18 sacks and we’ve only played one team w a good DL. That’s deplorable

Listen you make a very compelling argument. I think you might have beaten me in court.

Advertisement
Back