From the Perch: BC

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Down 30. Sacked for the eight time. Grass on you face. Bruises on your body. But you don't dare look at the sideline with surrender. You simply do not want to give your backup quarterback the chance. InSight will still bring the heat even though the offense still brings us pain. Take a deep breath and roll the BC film. We got work to do.

We will start with why having the quarterback keep is essential for the zone read. This dynamic seemed to be slipping week to week and you can see here an occasion of quarterback keep success. The will backer walks up to the line and this pre-snap look seems ready and willing to blow the play up for a loss. Great play fake at the mesh and the will gets caught inside. Rosier takes advantage of the over pursuit and nets a big gain.

Here is a Mark Richt staple. The shallow cross. To the field you will see the slot cross, Z choice-curl (not pictured) Half back flat. The read progression goes cross, choice, flat. Rosier inexplicably doesn't pick up his first progression and Jeff Thomas is available on the cross. Thomas is calling for the ball after throttling down correctly to find a soft spot in the zone. Rosier running ability nets him the first. It was a fortunate result after an improper read.

I am jumping perches real quick. I just want to highlight BC's ability to scout and take advantage of a tenancy. Miami will routinely cover the jet motion by rotating the motioning DB single high while the other safety drops down. Miami defenders essentially hand off the motioning receiver.

12 set double tight ends. The combination of the jet sweep and HB sweep play action gets ton of movement from the linebackers. The open receiver will be the H-back who is selling a wham block. He will fill the flat that was vacated by the jet sweep rotation and this is an absolute 100% designed play to take advantage of a defensive tenancy.

The subtle clue this is play action? The offensive lineman "bump the glass." Back away from the glass equals pass. Break through the glass equals run. Bump the glass equals play action. Not an absolute rule essentially with key busting being a thing but it was true to form on this play.

Jumbo. 13 set. Big boy. BC will sell the zone run hard but peal an uncovered center to seal off the initial unblocked defensive end. Extremely brilliant design from a heavy construct. And notice the "small" to uncover the bigger picture. The tight end who catches the ball will run a drag from across the formation. He throws a subtle "dive block" fake and gets the defender to pause just enough to separate. That is quintessentially and X/O OCD example that makes sure a play has every chance to succeed.

Miami needs to utilize tunnel screens like this with more frequent occurrence. This can offset Rosier's inability to throw the bubble screen up field with repeated success. Rosier had another example of throwing the bubble behind the LOS this game. On this particular BC tunnel screen it came off jet motion. Tons of db cushion underneath and it is an easy pitch and catch. Jeff Thomas please.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1056232080479305728

Miami has an issue with late walk up DB blitzes. We say it week to week. This was bad on so many levels. First you notice the whole right side of the line blocks the same defensive end. The protection is either not set correctly of completely missed. The fact coaches keep getting exposed in this area is baffling.

Teams are just so easily in tune with the rhythm cadence at times that it makes disruption with the line protection an automatic. Lastly some quarterbacks just sense pressure, some do not. I do not know if it is spidey sense or just better peripheral vision but ultimately the free blitzer is lost pre snap and it is a wrap. Boom.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1056233049434832896

Miami throws a lot of slants. Everyone knows it. The announcers knew it. Unfortunately BC knew it too. The ball isn't late. When I stop the clip at time of release, Thomas is still not even in his break. The cornerback simply jumped the route and out leveraged the receiver. As a staff, the second a defender "jumps a route" you have to take notice. You simply must keep teams honest with other concepts for your team to have a chance.

Ultimately we are going to shut this film review a little shorter than normal. For sanity sake. Richt is simply not a creative force and the offense struggles to execute week to week. Miami's offense relies 100% percent on 100% execution to operate. Unfortunately this Miami team is far from perfect and can't operate on such pretenses. Not many teams can.

There is no legitimate scheming to get someone open. Miami just has an over-reliance of calling a handful of plays and hoping you out execute the team in front of you. You cannot win on the big stage with this offensive philosophy. I promise you with every ounce of my being that any respectable defensive coordinator sees the tenancy and can easily and repeatedly shut Miami down.

They have. Miami is averaging a meager 14 points in its three losses this year. In the absolute offensive renaissance of college football where masterworks of art are hung vibrantly for the world to see, Miami is content finger painting its way through games. Unless the Miami offensive coordinator gives up creative control to someone else or goes to offensive art school, these results won't change.

Go Canes. You are not taking me out coach. -QB

Advertisement
Advertisement
@Roman Marciante As painful as your break downs are, I sincerely hope you continue to do them. Thanks to what I've learned from you and Lance, I'm beginning to see many of the things you both highlight. I noticed BC's OL blocking schemes. They were amazing. It's probably a little easier to implement schemes like those when they have over a combined 150 starts and a junior/senior laden OL. Also, the coaches took full advantage of that experience.

Thanks again Roman!

MIA

The great QB guru and play caller the administration thought they were hiring. **** he is not even a good CEO. A good one would hire competent assistants

tenor.gif

Down 30. Sacked for the eight time. Grass on you face. Bruises on your body. But you don't dare look at the sideline with surrender. You simply do not want to give your backup quarterback the chance. InSight will still bring the heat even though the offense still brings us pain. Take a deep breath and roll the BC film. We got work to do.

We will start with why having the quarterback keep is essential for the zone read. This dynamic seemed to be slipping week to week and you can see here an occasion of quarterback keep success. The will backer walks up to the line and this pre-snap look seems ready and willing to blow the play up for a loss. Great play fake at the mesh and the will gets caught inside. Rosier takes advantage of the over pursuit and nets a big gain.

Here is a Mark Richt staple. The shallow cross. To the field you will see the slot cross, Z choice-curl (not pictured) Half back flat. The read progression goes cross, choice, flat. Rosier inexplicably doesn't pick up his first progression and Jeff Thomas is available on the cross. Thomas is calling for the ball after throttling down correctly to find a soft spot in the zone. Rosier running ability nets him the first. It was a fortunate result after an improper read.

I am jumping perches real quick. I just want to highlight BC's ability to scout and take advantage of a tenancy. Miami will routinely cover the jet motion by rotating the motioning DB single high while the other safety drops down. Miami defenders essentially hand off the motioning receiver.

12 set double tight ends. The combination of the jet sweep and HB sweep play action gets ton of movement from the linebackers. The open receiver will be the H-back who is selling a wham block. He will fill the flat that was vacated by the jet sweep rotation and this is an absolute 100% designed play to take advantage of a defensive tenancy.

The subtle clue this is play action? The offensive lineman "bump the glass." Back away from the glass equals pass. Break through the glass equals run. Bump the glass equals play action. Not an absolute rule essentially with key busting being a thing but it was true to form on this play.

Jumbo. 13 set. Big boy. BC will sell the zone run hard but peal an uncovered center to seal off the initial unblocked defensive end. Extremely brilliant design from a heavy construct. And notice the "small" to uncover the bigger picture. The tight end who catches the ball will run a drag from across the formation. He throws a subtle "dive block" fake and gets the defender to pause just enough to separate. That is quintessentially and X/O OCD example that makes sure a play has every chance to succeed.

Miami needs to utilize tunnel screens like this with more frequent occurrence. This can offset Rosier's inability to throw the bubble screen up field with repeated success. Rosier had another example of throwing the bubble behind the LOS this game. On this particular BC tunnel screen it came off jet motion. Tons of db cushion underneath and it is an easy pitch and catch. Jeff Thomas please.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1056232080479305728

Miami has an issue with late walk up DB blitzes. We say it week to week. This was bad on so many levels. First you notice the whole right side of the line blocks the same defensive end. The protection is either not set correctly of completely missed. The fact coaches keep getting exposed in this area is baffling.

Teams are just so easily in tune with the rhythm cadence at times that it makes disruption with the line protection an automatic. Lastly some quarterbacks just sense pressure, some do not. I do not know if it is spidey sense or just better peripheral vision but ultimately the free blitzer is lost pre snap and it is a wrap. Boom.

https://twitter.com/romancane/status/1056233049434832896

Miami throws a lot of slants. Everyone knows it. The announcers knew it. Unfortunately BC knew it too. The ball isn't late. When I stop the clip at time of release, Thomas is still not even in his break. The cornerback simply jumped the route and out leveraged the receiver. As a staff, the second a defender "jumps a route" you have to take notice. You simply must keep teams honest with other concepts for your team to have a chance.

Ultimately we are going to shut this film review a little shorter than normal. For sanity sake. Richt is simply not a creative force and the offense struggles to execute week to week. Miami's offense relies 100% percent on 100% execution to operate. Unfortunately this Miami team is far from perfect and can't operate on such pretenses. Not many teams can.

There is no legitimate scheming to get someone open. Miami just has an over-reliance of calling a handful of plays and hoping you out execute the team in front of you. You cannot win on the big stage with this offensive philosophy. I promise you with every ounce of my being that any respectable defensive coordinator sees the tenancy and can easily and repeatedly shut Miami down.

They have. Miami is averaging a meager 14 points in its three losses this year. In the absolute offensive renaissance of college football where masterworks of art are hung vibrantly for the world to see, Miami is content finger painting its way through games. Unless the Miami offensive coordinator gives up creative control to someone else or goes to offensive art school, these results won't change.

Go Canes. You are not taking me out coach. -QB

mjfls.gif

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante As painful as your break downs are, I sincerely hope you continue to do them. Thanks to what I've learned from you and Lance, I'm beginning to see many of the things you both highlight. I noticed BC's OL blocking schemes. They were amazing. It's probably a little easier to implement schemes like those when they have over a combined 150 starts and a junior/senior laden OL. Also, the coaches took full advantage of that experience.

Thanks again Roman!

Anytime bud. I signed on with the InSight team and really love the team. I don't plan on going anywhere any time soon. After the season though, I am taking one serious VACATION.

MIA

The great QB guru and play caller the administration thought they were hiring. **** he is not even a good CEO. A good one would hire competent assistants

You know what. Mentioned this today. Richt hired Manny Diaz based on the fact his Mississippi State Pressure defenses were fits to deal with. That move seemed to work out ok. So why don't you go ask Manny, "Dale Mi Amigo, what offense keeps you up at night?" And then make it happen captain.

Because I know Richt's offense at this point puts Manny to sleep.

You know what. Mentioned this today. Richt hired Manny Diaz based on the fact his Mississippi State Pressure defenses were fits to deal with. That move seemed to work out ok. So why don't you go ask Manny, "Dale Mi Amigo, what offense keeps you up at night?" And then make it happen captain.

Because I know Richt's offense at this point puts Manny to sleep.
Agreed.

Richt has talked well about Toledo’s OC. Not my 1st choice but he has a solid background.

Advertisement
Yea at points through out this game I caught myself being jealous of BC's offense. When Richt breaks down game films and sees all these innovative/creative offenses in the games, I wonder does he sit there and think 'wait till they get a load of my offense they won't know what hit em'.

Yea at points through out this game I caught myself being jealous of BC's offense. When Richt breaks down game films and sees all these innovative/creative offenses in the games, I wonder does he sit there and think 'wait till they get a load of my offense they won't know what hit em'.

Bc's oc has some massive OCD. And I loved it. Very creative in his design even down to the microscopic level.

Advertisement
After the first series I knew we weren't winning. BC looked like they were ready to play on both sides and we look like crap.

Dang Roman, I was sadly awaiting your obituary after you looked at this week's tape...

Glad to know you are still alive and didn't off yourselves...

Lol at richt. Williams isn’t saving this offense.

This is why you don’t hire coaches that have hit their expiration date. UGA let him go for a reason.

Advertisement
Back