Confirmed Frank Ponce hired as QB Coach

Advertisement
Exactly. It is not like he took Wan-Stache from the HC of the phins to coach the D, he was a DL coach at USC prior to coming here. running down the list:

Gary Stevens: Started his career at UM as WR coach, promoted to OC THEN went to the NFL.
Wannstedt: See above
Hubbard: DL c oach for Vandy then came to UM in 79 as TE coach, then retained to WR coach THEN went to the NFL
Brodsky: HS coach then jumped straight to UM as an on-field position coach for RB in 78, then went on to the NFL.
Davis: Ok States TE/WR coach then came to UM for DL THEN went to the NFL
Kehoe: Student assistant at UM, then GA, then got put on field.
Don: HS coach then Jimmy tapped him as TE coach.
Wise: Syracuse OL coach then came to UM THEN NFL.
Campo: Syracuse DB coach, then us, THEN NFL

Bill Foran: Washing State, then us, then the NBA
Tuberville: Arkansas State then Miami then went on to be HC
Ed O: Arkansas, then us then HC

Honestly at the time if CIS was around they would have b!tched about half these hires. We basically promoted from within or were poaching coaches from High School, Syracuse, and Vandy. There are 2 schools of thought. You go after the proven commodity and pay for such commodity, or 2. you take the time, evaluate, and try to find the next up and coming HC (McVay, Riley, Kliff, etc.) before they are a known commodity.
Yeah, sorry, my post was a response to a message saying we now have the best staff in UM history. I gave plain evidence that '88 staff would be difficult to top. I understood @Cryptical Envelopment's response because he mentioned it's hindsight. No problem.

It doesn't change the fact it was a staff loaded to the gills with coaching talent. We may be hiring "more proven" commodities in comparison to what JJ did, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have more talent. I hope they do. Mario seems to have a good eye for identifying coaching talent.

But, will still be very difficult to top. You have a few NFL head coaches on that staff and multiple NCAA HC champions. One of the best evaluators of all time, besides Jimmy himself, was merely the DL coach. It's a monster staff and validation of JJ's insane, HoF foresight.

Attachments

• 917FDE6B-12C3-4D35-AC3F-2AD97345DF53.jpeg
    917FDE6B-12C3-4D35-AC3F-2AD97345DF53.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 2
Maybe Ponce likes the idea of getting more $ with less responsibility. Not to mention, being at Miami vs App St.

Also, it may be a better path for him to get an OC job at a better school while QB coach at Miami vs OC at App St.

Advertisement
Strong hire for QB coach in general but with our makeup I would have liked someone with a more wide open passing background in that spot. We will probably have no separate WR coach, that means just Ponce and Gattis to develop the passing game concepts. I will get negged on it but not excited there.

REALLY like Satterfields outside zone and run concepts though, actually more excited about Ponce bringing that. Our run game should literally be second to absolutely no one.
They both have experience with high caliber passing attacks and both can coach WR's. He teaches Gattis how to work with QB's and Gattis can help him be a better OC.. A LOT of experience in that offensive room!! Win win for everyone involved.

Advertisement
Advertisement
As long as he's coordinating a passing game that helps offset that Harbaugh trash I had to watch Gattis run, I'm in.
just want to point out that your reticence re Gattis is reasonable. let's see if he does what he says he is going to do (adjust to the personnel we have). having said that, i agree with what mario has been saying. the game continues to be won by whomever controls the line of scrimmage.

Advertisement
Not at all, I love every hire so far, but people are making Ponce out to be something he’s not. He’s only here because he’s from Miami and him and Mario are friends.
You are correct. I dont know any OC stepping down after 1 year of being an OC to be a QB coach.

If yall done seen this before I want to see it.

Advertisement
Back