Frank Ponce as co-OC

Advertisement
Who are the coordinators and HC that turned Mario down?

Toledo HC Jason Candle (I think legit that he was offered) and Kendall Briles (not 100% sure, reportedly offered)

If I remember correctly, @SWFLHurricane also mentioned that UM was close to hiring another guy (don't recall if it was Brady or Dorsey)

Toledo HC Jason Candle (I think legit that he was offered) and Kendall Briles (not 100% sure, reportedly offered)

If I remember correctly, @SWFLHurricane also mentioned that UM was close to hiring another guy (don't recall if it was Brady or Dorsey)
gattis got a 1 year extension in jan 2022 I believe. I think Mario had other guys in mind and ended up on gattis after some guys said no or waited it out (Dorsey, Brady, candle). anyways, it doesn't matter now. gattis is here and hes gotta get it righted

I keep seeing the comment, “it’s Mario’s offense”.

Being physical and being able to run the ball = championship football. You have to be able to run the ball and convert a 3rd and short when you absolutely need it. Until last Saturday, I can’t remember being able to do that for the past number of years.

The issue lies with passing schemes, not getting guys open, WRs not blocking, running patterns short and dropping passes. I’m pretty sure Mario did not design that garbage we saw on Saturday. That falls solely on Gattis as of right now. If this trend continues and Mario does not make a change, then it will be Mario’s Offense.

Advertisement
Close this thread and hold the door closed.
1663706118094.gif

Thanks, I remember those names now.

Not surprised Candle said no. Why drop from HC to OC?

Briles, meh. He wasn’t very good at FSU. I think he‘s overrated by association with his father. As silly as that may sound.

Brady and Dorsey were pipe dreams. They’re NFL guys. I believe once coaches get a taste of NFL life they usually don‘t return to college unless that’s the best offer, or Saban Rehab. Maybe Dorsey could be swayed by his alma mater, but as HC. And that isn’t happening. He’ll be an NFL HC in a few years.

And Brady was a Saints assistan/analyst before his one-year hit at LSU. Back to the NFL…..

Im pretty sure Briles wasnt offered. Whatever leaked was put out there by his camp to try and get some negotiating leverage with Arky.

Advertisement
Thanks, I remember those names now.

Not surprised Candle said no. Why drop from HC to OC?

Briles, meh. He wasn’t very good at FSU. I think he‘s overrated by association with his father. As silly as that may sound.

Brady and Dorsey were pipe dreams. They’re NFL guys. I believe once coaches get a taste of NFL life they usually don‘t return to college unless that’s the best offer, or Saban Rehab. Maybe Dorsey could be swayed by his alma mater, but as HC. And that isn’t happening. He’ll be an NFL HC in a few years.

And Brady was a Saints assistan/analyst before his one-year hit at LSU. Back to the NFL…..
conversely, hes been good at Arky I think.

What i remember reading on the board is:
-Candle wanted his whole staff to come so Mario didn't offer
-Briles really wanted the job but wasn't offered. Once it was apparent he wouldn't be offered, his agent leaked that Miami offered to up his Arky offer to stay.
-Brady just didn't want the job
-Dorsey, I can't remember for sure but think he didn't want the job as it was apparent he'd get an NFL OC job

Advertisement
Its Mario’s offense
Exactly nothing will change
Stylistically we may change
But fundamentally a slow grind you to death and whip the man in front of you vs win with space and pace to make up for physical deficiencies
Won’t happen until Mario realizes that’s the best winning formula
It’s clear Mario is more about Jimmie’s and joes than x and os
So basically we got to wait until he gets enough dudes that he can win his way
Despite our offense not being great
I think we can ground and pound the coastal to 10 wins this year like Wisconsin
This method isn’t that exciting
But I hated watching any 3rd or 4th and short under lashlee cuz I knew we were getting stuffed
Remember getting saftied??? One of the rarest things I’ve seen in football
And he had so many 3 and outs our defense was gassed and prone to ***** up more
Out defense is still filled with a lot of jags so this is truly helping our defense have less chances to ***** up

Last edited:
I keep seeing the comment, “it’s Mario’s offense”.

Being physical and being able to run the ball = championship football. You have to be able to run the ball and convert a 3rd and short when you absolutely need it. Until last Saturday, I can’t remember being able to do that for the past number of years.

The issue lies with passing schemes, not getting guys open, WRs not blocking, running patterns short and dropping passes. I’m pretty sure Mario did not design that garbage we saw on Saturday. That falls solely on Gattis as of right now. If this trend continues and Mario does not make a change, then it will be Mario’s Offense.
I agree
My point is that a guy like lashlee
His whole system is predicated on speed and spacing
The spacing aspect and pass concepts for gattis need to be better
But I don’t think we will run tempo to our advantage
So he needs to make every pass play a good play design
But more importantly
In my opinion Besides having better plays
He needs to be a better play caller
Better situational football
This team looked like they never seen a 2 minute drill before

Advertisement
I’m of the opinion that “this” offense looks exactly the way Mario wants it to look. The execution…no. But the style, yes.

I’m not sure where or why folks think a different OC is going to present a different style of O with Mario giving his blessing.

If the offense opens up… has more pace, it will happen when he thinks that should occur. Whether we want to accept it or not this offense looks exactly how he wants it to look… at least for now.

We were not a tough team… soft up front and a lot of that was scheme oriented. He vowed to rid of us of that and by the looks of it he has. Miami has tried to be a finesse team and it got us no where.

It may take a bit for ur all to click but one thing for sure we not a soft *** team anymore and I love it.
there's a big difference between being a great running team that dominates the line of scrimmage (which i'm also 100% in favor of) & having pass plays with terrible route trees that make no sense and lead to no one getting open, and doing the former while not doing the latter.

This offense would look a lot better if receivers could get open and catch the ball once they are open. Most people don't even know what "scheme" is.

This fan base is so **** toxic. Golden’s defense will get better once we get the right linemen to execute the 3-4 scheme. It takes time people. Most people don’t even know what scheme is.

—-

Is it ok to want Mario fired this early. No

Is it ok to want Gattis fired this early? No

But let’s not try and shoot down people who actually know Something about scheme, route concepts etc. who don’t like what they see and want a change. We saw a mega talented QB the nation was excited about lead what looked like one of those anemic Muschamp offenses. (In the redzone at least) There’s some serious issues there right now.

Are there some idiots who are just ****ed and riding the fire every one wave without knowing what they’re talking about? Yes.

But let’s at least try and pick out the posters that know what they’re talking about before they’re lumped in with other reactionary dopes.

What i remember reading on the board is:
-Candle wanted his whole staff to come so Mario didn't offer
-Briles really wanted the job but wasn't offered. Once it was apparent he wouldn't be offered, his agent leaked that Miami offered to up his Arky offer to stay.
-Brady just didn't want the job
-Dorsey, I can't remember for sure but think he didn't want the job as it was apparent he'd get an NFL OC job
And apparently all these guys were going to run the same scheme because it's "Mario's offense"

Gattis was Joe Moorhead's wr coach at Penn State and Mario was high on JM and his offense. Gattis is running Mario's offense. Point blank.

Advertisement
Back