Frank Ponce as co-OC

Nopain

maturity is overrated
If Miami continues to struggle in the passing game, do you think Mario makes Ponce co-OC and passing game coordinator? He had that job at App St. and Louisville and was successful at both places; he even transformed Malik Cunningham into a pretty good QB and passer. I know it undercuts Gattis's power as the OC, but it may be what's best for the team.

Just a thought.

Advertisement
If Miami continues to struggle in the passing game, do you think Mario makes Ponce co-OC and passing game coordinator? He had that job at App St. and Louisville and was successful at both places; he even transformed Malik Cunningham into a pretty good QB and passer. I know it undercuts Gattis's power as the OC, but it may be what's best for the team.

Just a thought.
Yes, unofficially though so as to save face for Gattis. His offense at App State would be great at Miami, they should at least implement elements of it.

1663698378748.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
You guys didn’t even want Ponce here, got spooked his name was brought up, got hella spooked when he came on staff, & now u want him to be Co-OC?

Lol. My god. Don King says Only in America; Rellyrell says Only in CIS
My my how the tables have turned.

The comedic relief I get from going back to old threads is unparalleled

You guys didn’t even want Ponce here, got spooked his name was brought up, got hella spooked when he came on staff, & now u want him to be Co-OC?

@Rellyrell ...to be honest, I don't even want Ponce to be OC....I think we could do alot better. I know he's close to Mario...but I truly don't think he'd make much of a difference as an OC....

Advertisement

Cristobal is playing 3D chess. After getting turned down by coordinators (and one HC) running a spread O, Cristobal settled on Ponce for OC. When he floated the idea, it was heavily criticized because fans thought he should be able to do better with all the money that the school promised. Cristobal came up with a genius plan to turn the tables. Cristobal hired a guy who runs a 1970s offense and made TVD go from looking like a first rounder to looking like Evan Sherriffs. Now the fans are begging for Ponce to take over.

giphy-2.gif

Advertisement

Just a thought.
That is what happened at Michigan. The guy who coached TE's from 2018-2020 and is credited with their success was made Co / OC and OL coach in 2021 and took some of Gattis' responsibilities. In the offseason everybody was "fingers crossed" hoping that Mario / Gattis were talking about actually having SOME spread aspects to their "power spread" offense ... but so far it isn't looking like that's happening.

If only he and Gattis realize they can also implement passing in the red zone we'll be cooking with grease.
You CAN. You also may be reluctant when passes get dropped.

#1 problem that needs to be addressed are the dropsies.

Advertisement
Back