Frank Gore

Gore will finish no worse then top 5 all time and likely top 4. In this day and age of two running back systems he is likely to stay there for a long time.

Advertisement
Salty, now you're the one exaggerating. Yes, Frank got fat because of terrible coaching under Coker & Soldinger and worse S&C coaching by Swasey. Have a couple knee injuries didn't help.

Gore has run 1000 yards in 8 of 11 seasons before this year, and had 853 and 967 in his other two non-rookie years. He was also instrumental in getting SF to NFC championships 3 times in a row including runner up in the 2013 Super Bowl. He's been to the Pro Bowl 5 times. He is the active RB with the most rushing yards. Adrian Peterson is next in line after him a full 1250 yards behind, and I don't see how he passes Frank given his injuries.

My point is that Gore is one of the best NFL rushers all time without question. You're right that you can't debate he was a stud, because it's obvious he was. Give the man his due.

Salty, now you're the one exaggerating. Yes, Frank got fat because of terrible coaching under Coker & Soldinger and worse S&C coaching by Swasey. Have a couple knee injuries didn't help.

Gore has run 1000 yards in 8 of 11 seasons before this year, and had 853 and 967 in his other two non-rookie years. He was also instrumental in getting SF to NFC championships 3 times in a row including runner up in the 2013 Super Bowl. He's been to the Pro Bowl 5 times. He is the active RB with the most rushing yards. Adrian Peterson is next in line after him a full 1250 yards behind, and I don't see how he passes Frank given his injuries.

My point is that Gore is one of the best NFL rushers all time without question. You're right that you can't debate he was a stud, because it's obvious he was. Give the man his due.

Frank looked like a 4/5 scale version of Orien Harris by junior year, but that's on him, not Soldy or Swasey. My understanding is that he did not take knee rehab seriously at all ...

Hoping he gets a ring before he hangs em up. If Frank didn't have the set back w/ the ACLs, we may be classifying him as a top 4 back of all time, and I'm not being biased at all. I hate the 49ers, but man if I did not root for Frank to be great. He's a class act on and off the field.

If he plays next year and gets 1000, he WILL be #4 all time.

saw him in...2002, I think? Dude is without question the up there with Sean Taylor as best football player i've ever seen. He was the best player on the field even after his first ACL tear, which was really his second because I think he tore one in HS before he got to campus.. He relegated Willis to the bench as a true freshman because he was that serious. Dude was the definition of tough and he made other people better. In my opinion there is no debate about his status as the best RB to come through Miami (even C. Portis says so) and a future HOFer.

Advertisement
saw him in...2002, I think? Dude is without question the up there with Sean Taylor as best football player i've ever seen. He was the best player on the field even after his first ACL tear, which was really his second because I think he tore one in HS before he got to campus.. He relegated Willis to the bench as a true freshman because he was that serious. Dude was the definition of tough and he made other people better. In my opinion there is no debate about his status as the best RB to come through Miami (even C. Portis says so) and a future HOFer.

I had never heard this and definitely not right before he got to campus. He was on another planet his senior year of HS and stepped right into the same flashes his true freshman year. When did he have this first ACL injury?

So they made him a fat *** while at Miami? He was lazy and did not put the effort while at Miami. I am glad he has has a strong career because football is all he had and with his learning disability it would be difficult to do anything else.

I had never heard this and definitely not right before he got to campus. He was on another planet his senior year of HS and stepped right into the same flashes his true freshman year. When did he have this first ACL injury?

Junior year I believe. His injury in college was the second one.

Very good player, but I'm not sure he's a lock for the NFL. I Go back and forth on him. Very good career at a position that doesn't have longevity on its side at this level. Still, there were other backs in his time that I'd consider better backs, minus the longevity part that won't sniff the HOF.

Still, there were other backs in his time that I'd consider better backs, minus the longevity part that won't sniff the HOF.

So you're saying Gore is a compiler?

All time rushing leaders (8-15), all in the HOF but Edge (he will be soon):

8. Frank Gore: 13,004 Yards, 179 Games, 12 Seasons and 2949 Carries (4.41 YPC)
9. Tony Dorsett: 12,739 Yards, 173 Games, 12 Seasons and 2936 Carries (4.33 YPC)
10. Jim Brown: 12,312 Yards, 118 Games, 9 Seasons and 2359 Carries (5.24 YPC)
11. Marshall Faulk: 12,279 Yards, 176 Games, 12 Seasons and 2836 Carries (4.33 YPC)
12. Edgerrin James: 12,246 Yards, 148 Games, 11 Seasons and 3028 Carries (4.04 YPC)
13. Marcus Allen: 12,243 Yards, 222 Games, 16 Seasons and 3022 Carries (4.05 YPC)
14. Franco Harris: 12,120 Yards, 173 Games, 13 Seasons and 2949 Carries (4.11 YPC)
15. Thurman Thomas: 12,074 Yards, 182 Games, 13 Seasons and 2877 Carries (4.20 YPC)

I am leaving out Jim Brown from this analysis because he is an outlier among outliers.

- Frank Gore has the highest YPC on the list
- Frank Gore when he passed #11 , #12 , #13 , #14 and #15 , he did it in less carries than the person he passed

Advertisement
Good stat.

Hope you're right and we get James and Gore in the HOF.

Still, there were other backs in his time that I'd consider better backs, minus the longevity part that won't sniff the HOF.

9. Tony Dorsett: 12,739 Yards, 173 Games, 12 Seasons and 2936 Carries (4.33 YPC)
11. Marshall Faulk: 12,279 Yards, 176 Games, 12 Seasons and 2836 Carries (4.33 YPC)
12. Edgerrin James: 12,246 Yards, 148 Games, 11 Seasons and 3028 Carries (4.04 YPC)
13. Marcus Allen: 12,243 Yards, 222 Games, 16 Seasons and 3022 Carries (4.05 YPC)
14. Franco Harris: 12,120 Yards, 173 Games, 13 Seasons and 2949 Carries (4.11 YPC)
15. Thurman Thomas: 12,074 Yards, 182 Games, 13 Seasons and 2877 Carries (4.20 YPC)

I am leaving out Jim Brown from this analysis because he is an outlier among outliers.

- Frank Gore when he passed #11 , #12 , #13 , #14 and #15 , he did it in less carries than the person he passed

At #10 on that list is Jim Brown. The best ever IMO. He quit at age 29 and at the top of his game. I remember reading in the newspaper that he was retiring. I was stunned. He could have dominated for many more years.

At #10 on that list is Jim Brown. The best ever IMO. He quit at age 29 and at the top of his game. I remember reading in the newspaper that he was retiring. I was stunned. He could have dominated for many more years.

**** just think they only played 12 or 14 games a season back then. Jim's last season he rushed for close to 1600 or 1700 yards rushing

You can't even compare him to the rest of them (that includes those above #8 ) because he just flat out dominated his whole career. IMO, there are 2 freaks

1. Barry Sanders: 15,269 Yards, 153 Games, 10 Seasons and 3062 Carries (4.97 YPC)
2. Jim Brown: 12,312 Yards, 118 Games, 9 Seasons and 2359 Carries (5.24 YPC)

Advertisement
It's why, to this day, at 32 years old, Gore works so hard during offseasons you'd think he was an undrafted free agent. Three-hour afternoon workouts with Miami strength and conditioning coach Andreu Swasey are followed by evening workouts with a speed coach.

Sometimes, players many years his junior have a hard time keeping up. Which is sort of the idea. Oftentimes, Gore partners with 24-year old Miami Dolphins running back Lamar Miller while working out on campus.

"I want to see where he's at (compared to) me," Gore said. "Once I know I can't do that anymore, then I don't belong here."

Frank Gore on Andre Luck: ‘He’s a football God'
"It's how he's lasted this long," Colts rookie and Miami alum Phillip Dorsett said. "He always tests me. We compete at everything. He calls out the young guys (in workouts)."

In football, your team is perpetually attempting to replace you. The search for the next big thing never ceases, even when the current big thing is a five-time Pro Bowl selection like Gore. He learned this in San Francisco after last season, when the team made a decision to move forward with second-year back Carlos Hyde as its starter.

Gore has some lingering thoughts about this.

"The only thing I was hurt by was that I thought we could have done it better," he said of his departure after 10 dedicated seasons. "Like, no bull----. Just straight up. I don't know if I even wanted to go back. But I would have felt better if we would have sat down and had a conversation. I mean, I was going to test the market no matter what. Me and the head coach (Jim Tomsula) talked and he basically told me I'd be in a certain situation. But I wanted to hear it from the GM (Trent Baalke).

"I mean, you could let us compete. You didn't have to say I was automatically going to take the back seat. Put it on me. I mean, bro, I finished last season with 1,100 yards. Every time I got opportunities, I did something with it. So, I felt like, 'Fine, if you want to go with the young guy, (make him) beat me out. It wasn't like I can't play anymore. If he beats me out, I can handle that. You can't play this game forever. I knew I couldn't be there forever. But I was there 10 years and I played every down the same whether we were winning or not."

That is the attitude we need more of to get us back. It's all starts with the competitive spirit in the locker room.

Last edited:
Gore averaged 9 ypc as a true freshman on the GOAT 01' Canes. Then goes on to tear both ACLs. Overcomes it to be a stud at the U. Then gets drafted and leads the NFC in rushing as a rookie and has been a consistent stud his whole career. Future HOF BEAST!

A few comments that are not accurate. A) he was not a stud at UM, his freshman year he appeared to be but after coming back from injury he got fat. B) he did not lead the league as a rookie.

I agree. When I saw Frank at UM (only on TV), he was good, but nothing special. I never saw the great freshman runs because I only watched games on network TV and usually when Frank came in as a freshman the network switched to a more exciting game. Miami had already put the game away by the time Frank came in during the 4th quarter. I heard talk about his 9+ rushing average as a freshman but never saw it...until about a month ago. I found an old game on youtube. I can't remember who it was, but it was the entire game, or maybe somebody put up his freshman highlights. It's the first time I saw, years later, his great freshman runs that everybody talked about.

I can only say the highlights were jaw-dropping. He had such vision and the ability to make people miss. I never saw that in Frank later in his career.

You can't even compare him to the rest of them (that includes those above #8 ) because he just flat out dominated his whole career. IMO, there are 2 freaks

1. Barry Sanders: 15,269 Yards, 153 Games, 10 Seasons and 3062 Carries (4.97 YPC)

I don't know if Jim Brown would be such a freak had he played several decades later, maybe the 90's or 2000's. Look at some of his old highlights...look at the defenses. Small and slow. Modern defenses would have LBs as big as or bigger, and almost as fast. Not to take anything away from him. He was certainly a freak for his era.

Advertisement
You can't fault a guy from the 60s for playing in the 60s. If you play that game, then you might as well downgrade everyone playing today, right now. Because in 40 years the same game can be played by those fans.

I don't know if Jim Brown would be such a freak had he played several decades later, maybe the 90's or 2000's. Look at some of his old highlights...look at the defenses. Small and slow. Modern defenses would have LBs as big as or bigger, and almost as fast. Not to take anything away from him. He was certainly a freak for his era.

One of the greatest single season accomplishments was by a Hurricane, Ottis Anderson.His freshman season ('78 I think) I think he set a rookie record of 1605 yards. There were other seasons before 1980 that were better, but not many. Those seasons were by some of the greatest: Earl Campbell, Jim Brown, O.J. Simpson, Walter Payton, and others.

On that list, Frank is ahead of all of them and I feel the only back he's better than is Thomas.

The YPC is interesting and I have one question about that without looking at stats. To me, it seems like a running back is helped out more so than they were in the past by a rise in the passing game. Thoughts?

Advertisement
Back