FR - WRs

skeeper

CGHS
I was curious if those that have far more insight than me, think that any of our incoming WRs could get significant PT this year?

I was thinking about Brinson being one of those, but maybe George or Smith? TIA

Advertisement
I was curious if those that have far more insight than me, think that any of our incoming WRs could get significant PT this year?

I was thinking about Brinson being one of those, but maybe George or Smith? TIA
Its gonna be tough for those guys to get significant PT... you got Harley & Rambo which will start. Pope is still in mix for starting (😒). Then there are the guys making noise like K. Smith, Johnson & X. For anyone of the freshmen to come in and get significant time, they basically gotta be a freak and constantly make people miss and make insane catches.

Only way one of them gets significant action is if we're decimated by injuries. The receiver room is deep. Brinson & George will need some work in the weight room, George in particular. Brashard is ready IMO to at least push the other slot guys immediately, but it'll be tough getting reps above Harley, Restrepo, and Pope.

Advertisement
I think people are sleeping on Brinson I think he is skinnier an an not as fast as AR82 but just saying think he can step in as a freshman an ball out he was eating 5* corners up in camps an games (Marshall)!! Breshard is built like a RB he will Definitely get PT at slot. And honestly imo I think George is gonna be the best out of this group he just needs to add weight and hopefully he did comin in this Summer!

Brashard SHOULD but Smith should have last year so who knows

There’s going to be 6 guys in the rotation. Unless a freshman finds a way to crack the two deep at one of the WR positions, it’s unlikely he’ll play much.

Advertisement
I think people are sleeping on Brinson I think he is skinnier an an not as fast as AR82 but just saying think he can step in as a freshman an ball out he was eating 5* corners up in camps an games (Marshall)!! Breshard is built like a RB he will Definitely get PT at slot. And honestly imo I think George is gonna be the best out of this group he just needs to add weight and hopefully he did comin in this Summer!
So u think we going 3-deep with slot guys? Idk bout that. As for OPs question it’s gunna be tough for them. Not because of lack of talent. There’s a adjustment period for all kids coming from HS to college. That’s y u typically only see EEs who were around for a whole spring and summer be able to crack rotations. Now as far as “talent” imo Smith, Brinson, George have the talent to play day 1. But idk if they will have to time to overtake a deep WR room. Our last Great Freshman wr (AR82) wasn’t a spring EE BUT that WR room in 2016 Definitely wasnt this deep..if I had to bet on a kid who can make a impact the earliest I’d say Smith

Last edited:
I wrote both these guys up in a class review.

Brashard Smith will be the most dangerous athlete on the team as soon as he steps foot on campus. He's a guy you want to get the ball to whatever it takes. I also think there's a lot more depth and nuance to his game than he credits for as a receiver. Watching the Spring Game you saw Pope and Restrepo get tackled very easily. Smith should play a lot.

Brinson is also better after the catch than the guys who'll be ahead of him on the depth chart. He's got some polish with how he runs routes and frames the ball. The question will be how he handles the playbook and physicality of ACC football. His ceiling is higher than the guys he'll be competing with.

I haven't studied George yet beyond highlights but I've been impressed by his fluidity and ball skills. He reminds me of Stedman Bailey. As a Fr I think he'll be limited unless he has clean releases like as a slot, but the depth there is strong. I doubt he plays much.

X: Rambo, Wiggins/Brinson/Redding
Z: K Smith, Harley, Payton/Worsham
Slot: Harley, Restrepo/B Smith, Worsham

That's my personal depth chart. I would advise Pope to transfer.

Advertisement
Only way one of them gets significant action is if we're decimated by injuries. The receiver room is deep. Brinson & George will need some work in the weight room, George in particular. Brashard is ready IMO to at least push the other slot guys immediately, but it'll be tough getting reps above Harley, Restrepo, and Pope.

I’m not saying this to flame you, because sometimes my mind goes to the same place as yours here. But we gotta be real....WR was the #1 weakness on the entire team last year. LB was close but the WRs as an entire unit were awful.

We brought in Rambo. You can’t go from the weakness of the team to deep with 1 kid. It got better with him, yes. But there are still opportunities here. We know Rambo and Harley will be the 2 main targets. I’m excited about X and Smith too. Payton should be in the mix. Redding had me really excited out of HS. But the bottom line is there is nothing PROVEN here behind the top 2. If one of the freshmen come in ready, they can and will earn some run.

So u think we going 3-deep with slot guys? Idk bout that. As for OPs question it’s gunna be tough for them. Not because of lack of talent. There’s a adjustment period for all kids coming from HS to college. That’s y u typically only see EEs who were around for a whole spring and summer be able to crack rotations. Now as far as “talent” imo Smith, Brinson, George have the talent to play day 1. But idk if they will have to time to overtake a deep WR room. Our last Great Freshman wr (AR82) wasn’t a spring EE BUT that WR room in 2016 Definitely was this deep..if I had to bet on a kid who can make a impact the earliest I’d say Smith
I didn't into what I think should be depth chart cause it was a post about freshman fam. We're deep but not with outside guys which is why I think Brinson will crack the rotation. Starters I'd move Harley outside with Rambo and Restrepo at slot the 3 back ups I'd have K smith outside ( getting alot of reps) with Brinson and B Smith as back up slot. That's just my opinion of course. But I think that would be our best line up an avoids Pope an Wiggins!

Brashard Smith will be the most dangerous athlete on the team as soon as he steps foot on campus. He's a guy you want to get the ball to whatever it takes. I also think there's a lot more depth and nuance to his game than he credits for as a receiver. Watching the Spring Game you saw Pope and Restrepo get tackled very easily. Smith should play a lot.

Brinson is also better after the catch than the guys who'll be ahead of him on the depth chart. He's got some polish with how he runs routes and frames the ball. The question will be how he handles the playbook and physicality of ACC football. His ceiling is higher than the guys he'll be competing with.

I haven't studied George yet beyond highlights but I've been impressed by his fluidity and ball skills. He reminds me of Stedman Bailey. As a Fr I think he'll be limited unless he has clean releases like as a slot, but the depth there is strong. I doubt he plays much.

Great assessment. My own depth chart is close:

X: Rambo, Brinson, Redding
Z: K Smith, Payton/Worsham, George
Slot: Harley, Pope/Restrepo, B Smith

I believe Wiggins transfers and Pope gives it one last go. Lineup mostly depends on Pope. If Pope can't catch balls consistently in real games, he's going to transfer out before his fifth game to retain his junior year status. Best case is he gets his mojo and is 3rd/4th man in, though most likley he'll be splitting reps with Restrepo.

After those 4/5 (Rambo, Key, Harley, Restrepo and hopefully Pope), I believe Brashard gets the most looks by second half of the season. Wish he had been able to make Spring ball. The kid is a weapon and can be used in multiple ways.

Brinson is also the goods, but Rambo and Key are ahead of him, and they're ballers with S&C and development on their side. I also don't know enough about George. Saw his highlights and he looked good. But not willing to say he's ready for high level Power 5 ball yet.

Advertisement
I’m not saying this to flame you, because sometimes my mind goes to the same place as yours here. But we gotta be real....WR was the #1 weakness on the entire team last year. LB was close but the WRs as an entire unit were awful.

We brought in Rambo. You can’t go from the weakness of the team to deep with 1 kid. It got better with him, yes. But there are still opportunities here. We know Rambo and Harley will be the 2 main targets. I’m excited about X and Smith too. Payton should be in the mix. Redding had me really excited out of HS. But the bottom line is there is nothing PROVEN here behind the top 2. If one of the freshmen come in ready, they can and will earn some run.
Yeah I was meaning to say deep with bodies/numbers not necessarily talent. I know nothing should be set in stone aside from the top 2 spots, but hopefully these freshman hit the ground running when they arrive in May.

IMO the most important part of the entire 21 class isn’t about playing time. The value of this class and the incoming class will be about practice and preparation.
I've posted about this a few times. Everyone needs to know that there are at least 2 dudes that can either take a lot of your minutes or flat out bench you.
Now you may not stay out as late. You might take your warm ups and stretching more seriously. Your gonna want to have as many or even more minutes in the film room etc.....

Best case scenario is the frosh come in and ball out. Pope and/or Wiggins hit the portal. I think Breshard will be the most explosive player on the team. If Brinson can simply be that guy that catches back shoulder and wins 50/50 balls the sky is the limit.

This.

Smith is just different.

Advertisement
Back