Former UM receiver commit George speaks on why he left the class

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Although the Battle 7v7 event brought out a ton of talented performers, a clear standout from the Sunday portion of the event was 2021 Plantation (FL) 4-star WR Jacolby George. Playing for team DEFCON, George helped to lead the squad to the semifinals of the 7v7 tournament, scoring the game-winning TD and 2-point conversion in the quarterfinals during overtime.

“We had to win, I had to make a play,” George said of his winning TD and 2-point conversion in overtime. “I just felt good out there.”

While George had already broken out as a sophomore for the Colonels, the star receiver upped his game even more as a junior in 2019, improving on all his numbers from a year ago. George had 46 catches for 1,030 yards last season, a whopping 22.4 ypc clip, and also had a nose for the endzone in grabbing 12 TD passes. The 5-11 155 pound prospect was also a threat on the ground, putting up 191 rushing yards (31.8 ypc) and 3 rushing TD’s.

“I’m going to go get it,” George said of his game. “If it’s third down, I’m going to get that first down. I just always push myself to do better.”

Even though his 2021 cycle won’t officially be the main priority for college coaches around the country until next week, George has already had an interesting recruitment. After committing to the Miami Hurricanes during Paradise Camp back in June, George backed off his commitment in November.

“Everything’s going good in recruiting, I’m just taking it slow this time since the decommitment,” George said.

Of course, the Canes really struggled in 2019, finishing 6-7 and looking lost on the offensive side of the ball, something that had George concerned enough to take a second look at the recruiting process.

“It was just the whole offense, the quarterback situation and everything,” George said of why he left the class. “There’s also a lot of receivers coming in ahead of me in the 2020 class. If they get their offense together, they’ll be a lot better.”

In an effort to do just that, Manny Diaz fired offensive coordinator Dan Enos following the season and replaced him with SMU OC Rhett Lashlee. Although Lashlee has yet to reach out to him, George said he is hoping to hear from the Canes when the new WR coach is hired and would like to make a visit soon. What does he like about Miami?

“I like the way they carry themselves, that swag,” George said.

Since the season ended, George has received Power 5 offers from West Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Penn State. The interesting part about the Nittany Lions’ offer? It came from former UM receivers coach Taylor Stubblefield, who is now the WR coach at PSU and the coach George originally committed to at Miami.

“I’ve always felt a connection with him,” George said of Stubblefield. “I also hear a lot from Indiana, Pitt, and Auburn.”

Right now, George has no upcoming visits scheduled and is going to take his time with the process the second time around, so he says not to expect a decision anytime soon.

“I’m just going to be looking for a place where the environment fits me.”

At the Opening Miami Regional last February, George recorded a 4.72 40-yard dash, a 4.69 shuttle time, and a 32.00 inch vertical leap.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
His testing times along with his size suck. I haven't watched film so who knows but his measurables are horrible if accurate.
Watch the film then. One of the top WRs in south Florida. His testing times are also from his sophomore year. Kid is faster than a 4.7 and jumps higher than a 32 or whatever they lost his vertical. We need to pursue him.

My cousin is the real deal, but his commitment to working out and training is what I know will keep paying off for him. He was young when those test came out but no corner can stay with him because of his dedication to his route running.
No explanation is needed. He’s going to ball out wherever he goes. I saw his film as a sophomore and I new he was special. His senior is going to be crazy and he will kill it for whoever signs him. Hopefully it’s UM.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gotta laugh at guys liking the swag of our WRs when they cant get separation vs duke

My cousin is the real deal, but his commitment to working out and training is what I know will keep paying off for him. He was young when those test came out but no corner can stay with him because of his dedication to his route running.
Forget what some of these fools are posting and just tell your cousin to keep working hard. It will pay off. And I personally hope it pays off at UM, but if not he’ll find success somewhere else. Best of luck to him and I hope we can get him back in the fold. But UM has its own work to do to attract him, especially on offense.

I've seen him play in person a few times. He's not a 4.7 guy. I don't think he was ever that high on UM, they were just his first big offer and he got excited. Academics may be an issue. I know Plantation had to work to get him eligible to play his junior season.

Advertisement
Back