Former players want a role in the search

All of this nonsense because they just won't yield authority to Blake James. DiMare should have input as should Miller and whomever else is donating or on the BOT.

But this search should begin and end with Blake James, his coaches criteria, his vision, his process. Otherwise just replace him

Gotta agree here. NVA, if Blake were the point man on this hiring, would you be confident? I've met him a couple times at HC events and he's a nice dude but he just doesn't exude confidence and just appears to be an ornament at the functions I've attended.

He yielded to Golden in alienating fans, area HS coach's and former players and allowed Golden to kill his Raising Canes project in addition to blowing Showtime's bid to produce a tv series, which would have brought good coin and exposure to the school.

There's a massive void in leadership and confidence in regards to his position. That void is being filled by the BOT and the former players see it as well, as they try to insert themselves.

It wouldn't be a bad time to upgrade the AD position and keep Blake on in a gopher role...some type of assistant.

Advertisement
All of this nonsense because they just won't yield authority to Blake James. DiMare should have input as should Miller and whomever else is donating or on the BOT.

But this search should begin and end with Blake James, his coaches criteria, his vision, his process. Otherwise just replace him

Gotta agree here. NVA, if Blake were the point man on this hiring, would you be confident? I've met him a couple times at HC events and he's a nice dude but he just doesn't exude confidence and just appears to be an ornament at the functions I've attended.

He yielded to Golden in alienating fans, area HS coach's and former players and allowed Golden to kill his Raising Canes project in addition to blowing Showtime's bid to produce a tv series, which would have brought good coin and exposure to the school.

There's a massive void in leadership and confidence in regards to his position. That void is being filled by the BOT and the former players see it as well, as they try to insert themselves.

It wouldn't be a bad time to upgrade the AD position and keep Blake on in a gopher role...some type of assistant.
I have zero confidence in Blake. But if the school is going to employ him as the AD then let him do his job.

But if they feel like most of us that he's not qualified and they don't trust him to make these types of decisions then they need to replace him and should have let him go when they let Golden go. Since they decided to keep then let him do his job for good or for bad.

This kind of disfunction is not healthy and will weigh on athletics until it's resolved

I agree with them that they should be allowed on back on the sideline. That seems like a move made by the pocket-sized dyke.

At first Golden allowed the former players on the sideline but when they realized that he and Donofrio were clueless and began criticizing the coaching and schemes he put a stop to it.

Where else is this nonsense going on? Is UM truly such a mom and pop organization that everyone feels like they should be consulted? This is why you need a real AD, not a sock puppet stooge figurehead.

I doubt that guys like Tom Jurich or Kevin Long are driving around town with BOT members and former players looking for a HC.

The former players attempt to legitimize their opinions by claiming to be x and o's experts. Unfortunately, these are the same guys pimping a guy like Mario Cristobal and other failures with UM connections. They're the same guys who got Coker hired. They've got biases toward guys they played with. Their friends.

You don't need to be a star player to hire a football coach. I don't know where Jeremy Foley played, but I doubt he was a star football player. UF thinks it's OK to allow him to choose coaches.

Advertisement
You really want a voice? Put your hands in your pockets and donate some of that big NFL money. Match Dimare's donations, and you could wind up being the AD like him.

their demands are not unreasonable. They're asking for one or two former players only. Oh, and get them back on the sidelines.

Exactly. They also are asking to be a part of the interview process. If you read their comments, they want to make sure the coach passes the X's and O's part and not just the flashy talk part. Anyone can do what Al Golden did and talk themselves all the way to a job. When the lights come on though, these players want to make sure the dude is ready.

Where else is this nonsense going on? Is UM truly such a mom and pop organization that everyone feels like they should be consulted? This is why you need a real AD, not a sock puppet stooge figurehead.

I doubt that guys like Tom Jurich or Kevin Long are driving around town with BOT members and former players looking for a HC.

The former players attempt to legitimize their opinions by claiming to be x and o's experts. Unfortunately, these are the same guys pimping a guy like Mario Cristobal and other failures with UM connections. They're the same guys who got Coker hired. They've got biases toward guys they played with. Their friends.

You don't need to be a star player to hire a football coach. I don't know where Jeremy Foley played, but I doubt he was a star football player. UF thinks it's OK to allow him to choose coaches.

I want to be consulted

NVA I think he's next on the chopping block, but the need to get a competent football coach is more pressing. The fact that he was saying Golden wouldn't be fired, and then Golden was fired tells us all we need to know about what the higher ups are thinking. DiMare seems like he genuinely wants to turn things around. So, my hope is that he'll do a thorough search and get us the best possible coach and then support that coach with an AD who understands that football drives your athletic department.

I have zero confidence in Blake. But if the school is going to employ him as the AD then let him do his job.

But if they feel like most of us that he's not qualified and they don't trust him to make these types of decisions then they need to replace him and should have let him go when they let Golden go. Since they decided to keep then let him do his job for good or for bad.

This kind of disfunction is not healthy and will weigh on athletics until it's resolved

Advertisement
The

This is what happens when there is a leadership vacuum.

their demands are not unreasonable. They're asking for one or two former players only. Oh, and get them back on the sidelines.

Exactly. They also are asking to be a part of the interview process. If you read their comments, they want to make sure the coach passes the X's and O's part and not just the flashy talk part. Anyone can do what Al Golden did and talk themselves all the way to a job. When the lights come on though, these players want to make sure the dude is ready.
Allowing them into the process sets a terrible precedent. They don't need to be in on the interviews. The AD should conduct the interviews. The AD should put the list of what coaches he wants together. The AD should lead the search and build the team for the search and the AD should make the final decision based off his expectations and his value judgments. This whole set up is complete amateur hour.

Advertisement

Allowing them into the process sets a terrible precedent. They don't need to be in on the interviews. The AD should conduct the interviews. The AD should put the list of what coaches he wants together. The AD should lead the search and build the team for the search and the AD should make the final decision based off his expectations and his value judgments. This whole set up is complete amateur hour.

the bolded is very true. But honestly I don't trust the guys that hired golden and extended him to get it right. So if a one or two of players are in the room and want to ask some questions I couldn't care less. I don't think they're are going to hurt the process at all.

Furthermore, some of these guys are our biggest donors. Campbell donated 1.1m and the rest of them donated enough to get rooms named after them. They're supporting with their money and they helped the up the value of our brand.

What a bunch of ***tards there are in this thread. You all are basically saying that getting the opinion of two alumni will ruin the hiring process.

And to the people bringing up the players choosing Coker, you do realize you are judging the actions of college students, right? Guess what, these alumni aren't 21 years old anymore. They are NFL veterans in their 30's.

the bolded is very true. But honestly I don't trust the guys that hired golden and extended him to get it right. So if a one or two of players are in the room and want to ask some questions I couldn't care less. I don't think they're are going to hurt the process at all.

Furthermore, some of these guys are our biggest donors. Campbell donated 1.1m and the rest of them donated enough to get rooms named after them. They're supporting with their money and they helped the up the value of our brand.
I hear what you're saying and I agree in that I don't trust the judgement of the people responsible for Golden's hire. But in an organization you have to let people play their roles and do their jobs, otherwise you get chaos.

Sure it would be a stop gap this time to get the players input, but what happens if the players suddenly want to be notified about more than just the coaching search. Say they now want to have input on how to run the athletic department, or the rules or whatever the AD does. The way I see it, you are opening Pandora's box and closing it after the fact would result in hurt feelings and possibly broken relationships.

The school chose to keep Blake they should ride with Blake and let him run the show for better or worse. Its the right way to do business.

Advertisement
fair enough. Blake needs to improve communication lines with the former players at least. Oh, and let them back on the sidelines. Now is the perfect time to do that

Found this interesting, he posted this about 30 minutes ago. " top NFL agency" is referring to the former canes

@unclelukereal1: The Top NFL agency is now in control of who becomes the next U coach.

Advertisement
Back