Former players want a role in the search

I would rather have Highsmith interview a candidate than any person in Miami's admin. ****, just hire Highsmith as A.D.

Advertisement
It was the players who vouched for Coker to replace Butch.

This could end badly.

They're going to push for a former player to be hired. Guess who? More and more certain Beanerdick is gonna get this job, qualified or not. The nimcompoop parade of coaching hires will continue. Don't trust ANYONE at this school to get this hire right. Gross incompetence is apparent in this search from top to bottom.

I would rather have Highsmith interview a candidate than any person in Miami's admin. ****, just hire Highsmith as A.D.

Alonzo Highsmith and Jon Vilma should be the only players allowed to sit in on interviews. Highsmith given his ability to scout and what he's done in Green Bay. I'm sure that translates to interviewing coaches. Also, Vilma's an extremely bright guy and seem to know his ****. Just my .02.

Advertisement
their demands are not unreasonable. They're asking for one or two former players only

Give me Dorsey and Reed.

The very two who landed us Clappy.

People need to stay in their lanes. Ex-players are for support, advice, teaching, and visibility on Sundays.

Donors are for money. That's all. Money.

The school needs a real AD. Hasn't had one since Sam J.

I have no problem with Vilma being a part of the process. Super smart, businessman and loves the Canes.

Honestly, if the AD doesn't include him it would be a mistake.
That being said, AD needs to man the fuhk up and be in charge. he's going to be the fall guy or the hero so might as well

I have no problem with Vilma being a part of the process. Super smart, businessman and loves the Canes.

Honestly, if the AD doesn't include him it would be a mistake.
That being said, AD needs to man the fuhk up and be in charge. he's going to be the fall guy or the hero so might as well

The Flake puppet will include Vilma only if the puppet master allows it.

Advertisement
Amazes me how a clear and concise statement morphs into an attempt to say something provocative!

The "Group" clearly stated they would like to sit in, 1 offensively and 1 defensively, those 2 players with intimate knowledge of schemes and coaching perspectives. They do not want to choose the coach, but offer advice to persons making the decisions, but have no knowledge of those aspects where the players could lend advice. More like a consulting role, not actually make the decision, but make sure the suits aren't being hosed by the Al Golden's big football philosophy book coaches out there.

Odd one could accept The U using a coach search firm, but get get their panties in a bunch when veteran NFL and former Canes "request" to offer their perspective from coaching interviews.

No one ever stated Vilma was the one or Highsmith wasn't one. Only that it was a group led by Vilma. ****, the 2 former players could be any of many. They are just asking the BOT to accept their request.

Advertisement
Throughout all of this I've worried that Blake, DiMare, and Miller do not possess adequate knowledge of X's & O's. Additionally, the sign of a superior intellects is knowing that you DO NOT KNOW everything and that you then consult with those that do. I will adopt a wait and see approach but I'm not hopeful. Once egos are involved - people usually ***** up.

Sideline access should be a no brainer. We were the first school to popularize former players being on the sidelines in the early 90s. Nobody was doing it before us. How can we run away from something that is tradition? Which is the reason part of me wants a "miami guy". They will know that this is something that is apart of our lifeline and needs to be put back into play...

Advertisement
We have some very smart former players who could be true assets in the interview process. Imagine if someone, anyone, had questioned Al about his horrible idea for a defense recruiting fat thinking players instead of the fast reacting players who surround the university. Under Donna is would not have mattered because wanted failure. Power does not liked to be shared but players do donate $$$ and need to leverage that.

The sideline issue is extremely important. Donna banded them as first reaction to the scandal. I always thought it strange that SHE was banded since the most evidence was against her. Unless that was an expressed part of the probation the players own that sideline. That IS THE U tradition they started and other only wish they had. Former players had virtually nothing to do with the scandal and there was nothing implicating them giving extra benefits to current players.

All of this nonsense because they just won't yield authority to Blake James. DiMare should have input as should Miller and whomever else is donating or on the BOT.

But this search should begin and end with Blake James, his coaches criteria, his vision, his process. Otherwise just replace him

Let one player, Vilma, vet the final candidates. Don't let everyone give their input on who needs to be interviews.

Just have a guy like Vilma or Gino meet with the final two or three. That's all that needs to be and should be done honestly.

Advertisement
Back