Former player arrested in Bryan Pata murder

One of the things I learned in a justice course in HS is that often one of the toughest pieces in a case like this is the motive component. I read the ESPN article just last week and it was fishy from the start. There was really only one dude that had a legit motive and that was this clown.

Add to that his lies about his alibi that night (red flag); an immediate ID by the only witness around; the suspicions by the team as reported by Hudak; the confirmation he tried to leave town THAT NIGHT!

All that should have at the very least amounted to a search warrant of his property to locate the weapon used. They find that, and that case is closed in 15 days - NOT YEARS.

SAD man.

100% agree. Way too much "motive" investigatory effort was spent on "Haitians" and "stolen rims" and "da club" as opposed to "prior fights", "common girlfriends" and "witnessed threats".

Advertisement
100% agree. Way too much "motive" investigatory effort was spent on "Haitians" and "stolen rims" and "da club" as opposed to "prior fights", "common girlfriends" and "witnessed threats".
Bingo. All the detractors were legit what lead to this taking so long. Had they zeroed in on the most likely scenario- someone close enough to know where he lived- they’d have closed it sooner. All this time it took and all the crazy theory just made it seem like some professional hit job when in reality it was someone right there.

Advertisement
Someone help me out here because I do not now and never will understand this thought process:

You gonna fight and eventually kill your homeboy/brother/teammate over some p*ssy you didn't get lately and never will get again.

You will spend the rest of your days looking over your shoulder wondering when the reckoning will come, at the hands of the law or street justice.

The ***** you shot the dude over has got some other swinging **** in her now and posting on twitter/IG/whatever "this 🐱 so good these 🤡 out here killin and dyin for it LMAO"

This story is so insane. Equivalent to if Aaron Hernandez had killed his teammate Gronk while they were both on the Pats. Can you imagine that!? That's basically what happened here.

Someone help me out here because I do not now and never will understand this thought process:

You gonna fight and eventually kill your homeboy/brother/teammate over some p*ssy you didn't get lately and never will get again.

You will spend the rest of your days looking over your shoulder wondering when the reckoning will come, at the hands of the law or street justice.

The ***** you shot the dude over has got some other swinging **** in her now and posting on twitter/IG/whatever "this 🐱 so good these 🤡 out here killin and dyin for it LMAO"

They got into a fight over the chick. He probably killed him because he curb stomped him in front of the team

Advertisement
For the moment, I am just separating the issue of extradition from the issue of an EYEWITNESS IDENTIFICATION.

No idea why it took Dade so long to "solve" the case. I know people want to hypothesize about "new evidence" or "a witness came forward", but even when the detective was testifying (to block ESPN from having access to the records), he said they had one primary suspect and the case was very close to being solved.

And, to be generous to the Dade police, maybe a new piece of evidence DID turn up after the ESPN publicity. But what makes that situation pathetic is that it would have been AFTER the new publicity, which Dade was trying to PREVENT.

I get the issue of having to chase down a ton of bogus leads (when a case is publicized 15 years later), but it seems like most of the solid circumstantial stuff was known 15 years ago.

Sad.

Would not be surprised in the least bit if that chick got caught up in something else and offered him up as a plea

"Though he wasn’t in the NFL yet, Pata seemed to have plenty of cash as he rolled around town in his Infiniti with vanity plates, spending thousands of dollars he told family members he’d received from an agent he referred to as “my guy.” "

That's objective journalism right there.

Here's a small detail that may have been revealed earlier. If so, apologies. It's purely body language and psychology, but in retrospect may offer some insight. I've looked at the other pictures, but this helps me on insight.

I assume this is a part of the silence by teammates. Check out the majority of the team. Eyes closed. The exceptions are the fellow behind Moncur's left shoulder in the midground. There's also another guy at Campbell's right shoulder, but when zooming in it looks like he has long eyelashes and there are shadows hitting him under the eyes. The second guy is also squeezed into the midground.

Body Language:

The clear exception is Jones, eyes open. Toes closest to the face in the image of Pata. His body language is also a little different. He "may" be looking at the face, but his shoulders are both forward and neck down. Face cast, almost a smile.

- I've found that this could be an indicator of personal trauma, because after trauma many of the victims smile a bit to comfort themselves. I unconsciously do it all the time, and it's something I have to work on when I'm on camera or on stage.
- This also could be attributed to a predatory/confidence state, but that's difficult to gauge on a still.

The reason this hit me was due to his body language in comparison to his teammates. Moncur and Campbell are in deep prayer. Others seem to be meditating, in the moment. Some are trying to pull it together. Some trying to find peace.

Maybe some footage of this closeup would help, but I couldn't find any.

miami-tribute_1200.jpg

Like many of you, I have a lot issues with ESPN, but the amount of pressure their investigation put on local law enforcement is what drove the investigators to finally tighten up this case and make an arrest. That said, it is also might make this a tough conviction. Time weakens all cases, and for this one, a lot of the evidence is circumstantial, as damning as it may seem. I hope this is the final chapter that brings forth the justice that gives the Pata family relief, and allows 95's soul to be at peace.

Advertisement
Different county. Extradition.
See my post on this. Their prisoner transport service also transports prisoners for state systems. Probably not a matter of substantive federal jurisdiction or involvement over what is still just a state criminal matter. Just a service provided as a routine matter to states who might not have the extent of resources the federal agencies have. Probably involves contracts between US Marshals Service and the various states.

Here's a small detail that may have been revealed earlier. If so, apologies. It's purely body language and psychology, but in retrospect may offer some insight. I've looked at the other pictures, but this helps me on insight.

I assume this is a part of the silence by teammates. Check out the majority of the team. Eyes closed. The exceptions are the fellow behind Moncur's left shoulder in the midground. There's also another guy at Campbell's right shoulder, but when zooming in it looks like he has long eyelashes and there are shadows hitting him under the eyes. The second guy is also squeezed into the midground.

Body Language:

The clear exception is Jones, eyes open. Toes closest to the face in the image of Pata. His body language is also a little different. He "may" be looking at the face, but his shoulders are both forward and neck down. Face cast, almost a smile.

- I've found that this could be an indicator of personal trauma, because after trauma many of the victims smile a bit to comfort themselves. I unconsciously do it all the time, and it's something I have to work on when I'm on camera or on stage.
- This also could be attributed to a predatory/confidence state, but that's difficult to gauge on a still.

The reason this hit me was due to his body language in comparison to his teammates. Moncur and Campbell are in deep prayer. Others seem to be meditating, in the moment. Some are trying to pull it together. Some trying to find peace.

Maybe some footage of this closeup would help, but I couldn't find any.

View attachment 152341
Most would never recognize this without some reason to believe he might be culpable. Interesting insights which I will think about. Years ago, there was a regular poster on Grassy named ForensicCane who was a psychiatrist who created his own specialty in the area of the criminal mind, especially of those who committed awful crimes, like this. He used to appear quite regularly on national and cable TV (like CNN) as an expert analyzing more gruesome cases hitch received a lot of public attention. I can’t remember his name. I believed he either went to UM med or did his advanced training there. He was, at the time, also quite an avid UM sports fan.

EDIT: I’m pretty sure ForensicCane on Grassy was Michael Welner. M.D., who went to UM undergrad and Med school. He is widely-recognized as an expert in forensic medicine. Back when I was reading about him, probably in the ‘90’s, I thought maybe his views were a bit harsh but then he was an expert and I was and am not.

i hope I’m not misidentifying Dr. Welner. His insights would be interesting. How a guy could commit a brutal murder, then so actively participate an activity along with so many others whom you knew well and spent enormous time with, who were genuinely grieving, is simply appalling and amazing. What kind of person does this?

Please note that I have never met Dr. Welner. I was able to figure out whom I think he was because there was a discussion on Grassy of Forensic Cane’s appearance on CNN. I checked the appearance, and found that it was a Michael Welner who attended UM undergrad and Med.

Last edited:
For the criminal law experts, is it fair to assume that a conviction will be challenging? Granted, we don't know what the cops know, but given the passage of time, hazy witness recollection of what happened 15 years ago, no DNA evidence (?), this will be a tough one, right?

Advertisement
Yeah…remember reading about “Haitian gangs” and figured it was some deeply buried matter involving this dark side of Miami’s immigrant underworld that would probably never be penetrated by law enforcement.

And it turned out to be something as close to the surface and staring us right in the face. Almost so obvious.

I haven’t lived in South Florida in ages. Haven’t even been down there in years. All I know of “Haitian gangs” is something I vaguely remember of a TV documentary about them. All it did was add to the mystique.

So many stories over the years of gang disputes impacting college football…hints that the FIU-UM melee had some roots in neighborhood and maybe even gang rivalries…amazing when you think it was triggered by a UM RB from Pennsylvania who made a taunting bow after a TD to FIU fans….doubt he had any connection to those local Miami issues…then the story of highly sought recruits whose supposed involvement with problems with his Haitian neighborhood caused his parents to push him to sign with Illinois. After a while, someone like me who knows very little begins to get what might be a very distorted image of the Haitian immigrant community. Probably very inaccurate and very unfair.

What I had suspected was this nefarious community and gang connection was just sensationalistic speculation that I read, perhaps some message boards.

For the criminal law experts, is it fair to assume that a conviction will be challenging? Granted, we don't know what the cops know, but given the passage of time, hazy witness recollection of what happened 15 years ago, no DNA evidence (?), this will be a tough one, right?
I suspect not. The prosecutors probably have the goods. They don’t usually like to charge until they are reasonably confident. Wouldn’t be surprised if there is a plea bargain.

Just my guess.

corporate lawyer, but from my perspective the passage of time isn't by definition more difficult. it will ultimately depend on the quality of the evidence. from what i've read, the eyewitness is not the sole incriminating evidence. some evidence has been released on purpose and some purposefully withheld. when they say cell phone records helped, **** they had THAT information 15 years ago. they certainly didn't NOW discover that evidence. the police now say they have an eyewitness who identified the killer in a lineup. did they just now find the eyewitness? i think the cops are purposefully misleading and withholding.

regardless, this is a kick in the ballz with a steel toe shoe.

Advertisement
Back