2022 FORMER Oregon Commit Dave luli; Sticks with Oregon

It’s a bigger “issue” if we don’t get Shemar, we have the depth chart, home field advantage, boosters saying they’ll pay whatever for him, the primary competition hasn’t won anything recently either, yes they have a great class but we have elite guys already on our campus producing and the most visits. Iuli would be great but that would be a steal, Shemar is the kind of guy we need if we’re going to ever get back

Advertisement
Guy has been here two months and has gotten us two elite players in Moss and Skinner that we had exactly 0% chance with before he got here. Kelly wasn't coming until Mario signed. Shemar was signed sealed and delivered to A&M until Mario came into the picture and we have now supposedly "pulled even" with A&M. It was always going to be tough pulling kids like Iuli and Connerly from the PNW area to come here when they were never even considering us until Mario got here. He's an elite recruiter, not a miracle worker. Couple in the fact that we have like 3 coaches on staff in total, and yes everything after keeping our current commits committed and adding a few blue chip guys is gravy. That's the problem with Miami fans as a whole, we expect the absolute most and if it isn't delivered day one it's a failure.
* He got plenty of praise for signing Skinner, Kelly, Moss - which is exactly what he's supposed to do if he's an "elite" recruiter as some say
* Pulling even with another school doesn't excite anyone, If Stewart signs with Miami, I'll gladly admit I was wrong.
* C'mon, if Iuli signs anywhere but Miami it's a complete failure by Mario, stop with excuses.

* He got plenty of praise for signing Skinner, Kelly, Moss - which is exactly what he's supposed to do if he's an "elite" recruiter as some say
* Pulling even with another school doesn't excite anyone, If Stewart signs with Miami, I'll gladly admit I was wrong.
* C'mon, if Iuli signs anywhere but Miami it's a complete failure by Mario, stop with excuses.
if a guy from the west coast signs anywhere but miami its a failure???? please. it's the other way around. it a huge accomplishment to get a kid to go to school 3000 miles from home.

Last edited:
I'll go on record and say I think we get him. His whole family came on his visit here. His heart is here. Obviously, Oregon is the safe choice but in the end..I think his family tells him to follow his heart and put his trust in Mirabel and Mario because thats what he has done his whole recruitment.
Dad was saying that they loved it here and the love from the fans as late as last Friday (twitter reply to a canes fan I believe). I believe Mario needs to speak to him and let him know what he does with OLs and that he needs to remember the high of being here and being a leader in setting the West Coast Polynesian trend. I agree with you that he can be pulled.

It’s an L, no way around it. Does it change the way that I view Mario from a recruiting POV? No, not at all lol. We will win way more of these than we lose going forward. Ya’ll have fun with your panic fest.
Agreed

He can take an L with a couple of months to recruit and still be an elite recruiter

This is just fallout from the staff hysteria

I’m not saying everything is fine in some super secret fashion and we should all just being seeing rainbows…but good grief the melt down here is hilarious

Advertisement
Is it possible to hold two thoughts at the same time or is it only binary thinking?

Thought 1: Mario is the right guy for the job and will take us to new heights in recruiting in the long run. He helped land some guys that we wouldn’t have gotten and it’s only going to get better

Thought 2: not finishing strong when we are paying our coach over $8mil, that specializes in recruiting, is a let down and I expected more

Too much?

he pulled our 3 highest ranked recruits in less than a month on the job, including poaching one from saban's grasp. yeah, that's too much.

Sellers know that you always lose deals no matter how good you are and how certain the win looks. That's why you fill the pipe with multiple high-quality deals. Recruiting is no different. Luli is a data point, just one 90% confidence deal in the pipe. You need to look at the broader pipe and results to evaluate Mario. And it's way too early to tell.

Do I have to remind some of you guys?

hqdefault.jpg

Advertisement
i love how Mario specializes in recruiting and he's supposed to be great at it, so not landing MORE top 100 recruits in 2 months on the job, guys that weren't even on our radar before him, is somehow a reflection on him. lol sh*t is hilarious man.
This is what I don’t get about the argument people are trying to make… let’s say it another way for the people in the back, if no coaching changes happened who would be signing where? Betcha, Kelly, moss and Iuli sign with Oregon and Shemar with A&M and we get nothing… how quickly did Kelly jump on board with Mario when he had a chance to stay close to home? Lanning just won the fuxking title, maybe he can recruit too and now Iuli is comfortable staying close to home… people act like this **** happens in a vacuum

Dad was saying that they loved it here and the love from the fans as late as last Friday (twitter reply to a canes fan I believe). I believe Mario needs to speak to him and let him know what he does with OLs and that he needs to remember the high of being here and being a leader in setting the West Coast Polynesian trend. I agree with you that he can be pulled.
Pretty sure it's a dead period right now, that's the only problem

Advertisement
This is what I don’t get about the argument people are trying to make… let’s say it another way for the people in the back, if no coaching changes happened who would be signing where? Betcha, Kelly, moss and Iuli sign with Oregon and Shemar with A&M and we get nothing… how quickly did Kelly jump on board with Mario when he had a chance to stay close to home? Lanning just won the fuxking title, maybe he can recruit too and now Iuli is comfortable staying close to home… people act like this **** happens in a vacuum
dude skinner is with bama, kelly is with oregon and moss is not here either. it's the classic mentality of taking what we just got BECAUSE OF Mario for granted, and now being ****ed off if we don't land guys we had NO SHOT with before. like others have said, EVERY player we land tomorrow is icing on the cake. period. there isn't a single guy left that we had a prayer of landing tomorrow with Manny.

Advertisement
All I’ve been able to find out is dad signed off on him at Miami to play for Mario and Mirabal and would prefer him there. Mom wants him closer to home. The Oregon visit went better than he imagined, obviously.

They’re still working him through his dad at this time and Miami has the better relationship.

It’s just too easy for distance to factor into the decision late like this. Cold feet.

Same scenario is playing in our favor for Shemar, though. Having Second thoughts/doubts about putting pen to paper to go to College Station for 3 years. But their money is better.

All I’ve been able to find out is dad signed off on him at Miami to play for Mario and Mirabal and would prefer him there. Mom wants him closer to home. The Oregon visit went better than he imagined, obviously.

They’re still working him through his dad at this time and Miami has the better relationship.

It’s just too easy for distance to factor into the decision late like this. Cold feet.

Same scenario is playing in our favor for Shemar, though. Having Second thoughts/doubts about putting pen to paper to go to College Station for 3 years. But their money is better.
Appreciate the info.

i wouldnt be surprised if that is spot on accurate. Dave wants to come here, he loves mario and alex, etc etc. Latin folks in this town should understand how important family is. Samoan culture right on par with that. can't be surprised one bit if mom wins.

Advertisement
Back